Friday, 21 August 2026

Dear Neighbor . . .

 

 
Quite the Sunset  


AUGUST 21st, 2026
Estate Lane
Nova Scotia
17*C/64*F
Mostly Sunny

Dear Neighbor,

Hello on this lovely late summer morning. It's not too hot yet, but it will get warmer as the day progresses. I have a busy day ahead of me, but that doesn't mean that I don't have time to write you a nice letter.

Today is the day that Eileen goes back to the clinic to find out what comes next. I made sure she was awake bright and early as her appointment is really early.  She said she didn't sleep well last night, which is understandable. She is a brave woman. Her worker is taking her. She will let me know later what is happening. I am hoping and praying that its all very treatable and that we can have it dealt with more sooner than later. 


 

We can and will get through this.  I am supporting her every step of the way. She has a lot of people who love and care about her and is surrounded with prayers.

Cindy is taking Dad to emergency this morning. He was not feeling very good yesterday. He has had this lump/cyst at the base of his head/neck which has become swollen and inflamed. The Doctor was wanting it to go down before it was dealt with but it is causing him a lot of discomfort and seems to be getting more swollen. So she is going to take him to emergency to see if they might be able to lance it or something. 

Not nice, I know. Hopefully they will be able to do something about it and he will start to feel better.



 

David and Dan are going up country this morning to one of David's friends who has a small plane. They are going to take Dan up for a flight over the valley. It should be quite interesting and exciting for Dan and they certainly have a good day for it as it is going to be a fine day.

Cindy, Christine and I are supposed to have a painting morning. Or we will after Cindy and Dad get back from the hospital. Once I finish here I will go over to Cindy's and keep Christine company until Cindy gets back. 

Then I am supposed to be getting supper for everyone. It won't be anything too fancy for sure. I have reserved two large frozen chicken pot pies from the Chicken Farm. (They are as close to homemade as you can get. Made in small batches from scratch using all natural ingredients and organic chicken.) I will have those with some salad and I am going to pick up a fruit tray for dessert. I will do it all at Cindy's as it is just so difficult for dad these days, all the moving about, etc. Tomorrow night my brother is planning on taking us out to an Indian meal so if I cook it at Cindy's that means dad doesn't have to deal with going out two nights in a row, on top of being at the emergency this morning. 

Sometimes you just have to do what you just have to do.


 


I was a little bit nervous getting up and going into the living room this morning. Yesterday morning when I went in and went to turn the lamp on, there was a huge grasshopper sitting on the pillow on the sofa right next to the table that the lamp is on. Okay, so it was only about an inch long, but it might as well have been six inches long, I was that startled and scared.  I quickly went and got my stick vacuum cleaner and attached a brush to the end and I sucked that grasshopper up before he could jump away or on me or whatever.

What make me  wonder though, is how I did not notice it being in here the night before, as it must have been in my home the night before and why the cats were not after it? It must have been keeping a very low profile.

Between one thing or another with wasps, ants and now this grasshopper (and we won't talk about fruit flies) this has certainly been a year for wildlife getting into my house in one way or another!

I noticed yesterday that my next door neighbor has a wasp deterrent hanging on their front porch. It looks a bit like an elongated hot air balloon.  I should get me one of those. Then maybe the wasps will leave the hummingbird feeder alone.

 

 

I think David and Christine have been enjoying their visit down thus far. They have stayed very busy. Yesterday they, along with Cindy and Dan, explored a wetlands nature park that is just down the road from my place in the morning and in the afternoon David and Christine went to Port George. It was quite foggy however. But Christine did get some interesting photographs of some of the topography and sea life. There are seals there that sun themselves on small Islands, but the Islands were hard to see. I have been there before to watch them. After that they went exploring at a small nature area at the end of Cindy's street and Christine was able to take some photos of interesting looking fungi.

Christine likes to sketch and paint as well. She also teaches an art class at the home her late father was a resident of.  Just simple things but my brother attends also and helps out and the residents really enjoy this activity and the company/visits. They have always been people who give back to the community in whatever way that they can. That is something I really admire about them.  The Lord's hands in action.


 

Face to face with the sunflower,
Cheek to cheek with the rose,
We follow a secret highway
Hardly a traveler knows.
The gold that lies in the folded bloom
Is all our wealth;
We eat of the heart of the forest
With innocent stealth.
We know the ancient roads
In the leaf of a nettle,
And bathe in the blue profound
Of a speedwell petal.
~Mary Webb (1881-1927)

Oh how I miss the days that I could traipse around the countryside. I am an armchair traveler now and must content myself with the travels and words of others. How blessed we are to have so many talented people in the world to share their travels with us. I have always loved to watch David Attenborough and Michael Palin is another favorite of mine.  Also I like to watch canal boat journeys/holidays. The late Prunella Scales and her husband Timothy West did several canal boat journey programs. He was a great actor in the theatre and she was best known for playing Sybil Fawlty in Fawlty Towers. They were both great actors of the stage, etc. however. Their son Samuel West plays Seigfried  Farnham in All Creatures Great and Small. 

Anyways, I do so love to watch these travel and nature shows. I did take a short journey on a Canal Boat with our friends Jo and Colin in the U.K. one summer when they brought their Canal Boat up close to where we lived. We had a short jaunt down the canal and then had lunch at a pub. There will often be pubs situated close to the Canals. It was such a lovely day and journey. I quite enjoyed it. So quiet and peaceful.


 


I spent last evening trying to wear my new eyeglasses. I have never had such a difficult time adjusting to a new pair of glasses before. I can only think that it is because I got the lens's that change to darker in the light. I did wear them for the longest time ever last evening.  For at least 3 hours.  I tried again this morning, but there seems to be a halo around everything.  It is either the glasses or my eyes are deteriorating even more, which I hope not. I have always said I would rather go deaf than blind. Not to be able to see would be so hard. That is what happened to our Aunt Thelma when she got put into the home. She had had her leg amputated and could no longer go up the stairs to her apartment as she was in a wheelchair and  then in the home she went blind from detached retinas that were not noticed.  She did not live long after that. I suppose she had lost her will to go on. It does happen.

I really must wind this down now as I need to get ready to go over to keep Christine company.  I will leave you with a thought for the day now . . . 

☾ ° ° * 。  
• ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ • •。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*The time you enjoy wasting
is not wasted time.
~anon



Bacon, Egg & Cheese Breakfast Bake


In The English Kitchen today  . . . Bacon, Egg & Cheese Breakfast Bake for two. This was simple and delicious. A lovely hearty breakfast, or even a simple supper. Quick and easy to make as well.

I hope that you have a lovely day.  May it be filled with love and sunshine. Don't forget!

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═════════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ════════════  

And I do too!    

   





No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!