Saturday 25 June 2022

All Things Nice . . .

 
(source

I used to wonder how it was, that God,
In His high heaven could hear a whispered prayer,
That someone breathed to Him in secret woe,
How could it go those million miles of air,
And find God, listening to its voice, somewhere.

But now a little man-made thing of wood,
A painted toy of twisted wire and strings,
Can catch the music of the universe,
And on the air it moves the throbs and sings,
And space is nothing to its magic wings.

Oh faith that could not see beyond the grave,
Oh love that could not find the path He trod,
We turned our faces from the light, and still
Measured His power by a rule and rod,
And weighed on human scale . . .  the heart of God.
~Edna Jaques, To a Radio
Beside Still Waters 

 


I remember back in the early 1980's, having read in the bible that everyone will see Christ return having a discussion with my brother about that.  I could not comprehend how everyone in the world would be able to witness it  all at the same time.  At that time my finite mind could not . . .  was not able to comprehend the infinite  . . . 

But that was also before modern technology. I see it now . . . 

Most treasured were those long talks and conversations I had with my brother.  I am looking forward to him arriving on Monday and our being able to spend time together.  I think when you are growing up, a child  . . . you don't understand just what a gift having a brother or a sister or both, is.

Old age is a blessing in that respect. You  begin to appreciate all the smaller, finer . . .  more important things in life and see them for the gifts that they are.

The blessings of faith, family and friends  . . .  priceless. 


 


 My good friend Tina was registered as legally blind earlier this week. This was a great blow to her. She had driven herself to the opticians, but was told she would not be allowed to drive herself home. Its because of a disease called macular degeneration. She can still see, but everything is greatly distorted. My heart was sad when she told me. I know how much being able to drive means to Tina. She has been such an amazing example to so many people over the years with her willingness to serve, and much of that meant being able to drive. To take people to places they needed to go, to bring meals and other things to people who needed her help, etc. 


She and her husband Tony were such an amazing support to me last year when everything fell apart.  There were many days, as it was all happening, that Tina would just come and pick me up and take me to the parking lot at McDonalds.  We would sit and have a light lunch and just talk and cry together.  She has always been a great example of the Savior's love to me in so very many ways.  Now it is time for her to sit back and allow others to serve her in whatever capacity they can.  I know it will be difficult for her, but I am also sure that, knowing her  . . .  she will still find ways to serve others however she can and in whatever way that she can. She is just that kind of a person.

Love her so much  . . . 



I treated the cats to some Cat TV yesterday on YouTube. They love it when I do that.  I am not sure what they think of birds that are as large as or larger themselves, but so far so good. This is a British Blue Jay here. As you can see it is almost a mink color, with white and black accents and blue and black banding on the wings. 





It is much more visible here.  Blue Jays are fascinating birds. I grew up thinking that they only looked like they do here in Canada but have since learned that there are many, many different types of Jays.  The ones that we are used to here in Nova Scotia,  are but the tip of the iceberg.  They are members of the Corvidae family of birds and are related to crows, ravens, rooks and magpies. Grey Jays used to visit my home regularly when I lived near the marshland in New Brunswick  . . .  so beautiful. 



My cousin Sheri came to visit me yesterday afternoon  . . .  it was really nice to see her. She brought me an iced chocolate milk drink from Tim Hortons.   She is who I got Cinnamon and Nutmeg from, and my sister got little Mac from her as well. 

We had a really good visit with each other. The cats hissed and spit a lot. I am sure they could smell her cats and dogs on her.  Its been a long time so they would have no memory of having gotten their beginnings there.

While she was here I related to her how I had dreamt of her mother one time. A very vivid dream and how in the dream her mom had her hair pulled up into a bun.  She said to me, had I ever seen her mother with her hair like that? I said no, just that once in the dream. She told me that she had a photograph of her mom wearing her hair like that once. I got goosebumps.  I have always thought that the dream I had of my Aunt was a vision and now I am sure that it was. There is a heaven and our loved ones await us there.  I have no doubt.

While she was here a red cardinal came and sat upon the railing outside the window looking in.  A heavenly visitor . . . a symbol of hope and joy.  It was a precious moment for us both.

May you come to find comfort in and remember:
Cardinals appear when angels are near.
So go now, sit outside and drink your tea.
Keep a look out for the little red bird —
It is there, your loved one will be.
~Victoria McGovern, Our Wander Life



He's looking very content here this morning, but he kept me up until gone one a.m. last night and even later the night before.  It is a big pain having the litter box in the bathroom instead of in the back bedroom. I moved it in anticipation of my brother's visit, so he could have some privacy while he is here.  Last night I tried to sleep with my door open, but one a.m. I was putting them both out.  Cinnamon is not a problem. She doesn't bother me at all. Its Nutmeg. He is jumping all over me, trying to get under the covers and dig/nibble on my legs and toes, meowing at me, etc. He is overly enthusiastic. Mr Personality Plus is not appreciated at that time of day/night!!!

Cindy is coming over this afternoon to help me put the bed together and get it set up. Its just a single bed. Eventually it would be nice to have a trestle bed to slide in underneath and pull out when needed. 


 

On Wednesday night the Big Scoop (supper with Dad and his friends) had Rhubarb Sundaes for a dessert option.  We all had one. How could we resist I did not have any nuts of cherries on mine. Just the ice cream and the sauce. It was quite good.

I have always enjoyed rhubarb with ice cream or custard. Its long been a favorite. I was sorely tempted to have the rhubarb pie, also something different, but resisted and caved on the ice cream. 

As always the best part is being with dad.


 

It smelled lovely in here last night . . . I was baking a banana bread.  I don't know why I buy bananas. I never eat them.  I like the occasional one on a bowl of cereal, but that's all. I buy them because they are good for you . . . potassium  . . .  but then I don't eat them and they go off. 

I do like banana bread however.

I guarantee that if you stepped outside my door right now you would smell bacon and eggs and toast. That is the Saturday morning smell here in my neighborhood.  Its nice.  It always makes me want to make myself bacon and eggs, but then I don't.  Maybe one week I should surprise myself and actually do it.

And with that I will leave you with a thought for today  . . .  must get busy finishing my talk and lesson plan for tomorrow.  Sigh  . . . 


 .° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.° It doesn't matter if anyone
notices all the good things you do.
At the end of the day, look in the mirror
and the one looking back will
be so proud of you.
~William Chapman •。★★ 。* 。




In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Jam Jar Trifles.  Deliciously simple!

Have a wonderful Saturday. I probably won't post now until Monday.  See you then!  Happy weekend and don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too! 

10 comments:

  1. I had a dear client with macular degeneration..I will never forget him.He trusted me implicitely.Have a great weekend!So nice your brother will be here soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monique. My heart really goes out to Tina. I know how difficult it is for her, but she is handling it with grace. xoxo

      Delete
  2. That is hard news for Tina to get, I'm sure she will have lots of support. I need to pick some rhubarb and stew it for the freezer, love stewed rhubarb on ice cream in the winter. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. stewed rhubarb is one of my favorite freezer ingredients! Tina is a great example for us all, and yes so difficult. xoxo

      Delete
  3. Best wishes to Tina, she has a new journey in life now. And happy weekend to you, Marie. xo, V.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She will be carried for sure Elizabeth! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Hi Marie~ I'm so sorry to hear about Tina. She is an angel and deserves to be waited on...bless her heart. My mom had macular degeneration and was almost blind in her last days, it was very difficult. Your cats are so cute, I love that they watch kitty TV! I went to a friends house tonight and got some rhubarb! I can't wait to stew some to put on ice cream...yum! Have a wonderful Sabbath, Marie. Hugs and Love, Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb! So sorry about your mom. Its hard when these things crop up. I know they were going to sew one of my mother's eyes shut before she passed away but she passed before they could do it. I was grateful for that. My mom had sparkling fun filled pretty blue eyes. That would have been so difficult. Love and hugs to you! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!