Monday 31 January 2022

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 


"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard


A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.   



 
This is a photograph of them blowing the snow out of the next door neighbors driveway on Saturday night.  They came through about 9 PM after it had been snowing and blowing all day. The drifts are halfway up my bedroom window and I cannot open my back door again. It took at least 20 passes with their snow plow/blower for them to clear my drive.  I am so grateful that I live in a place that has snow removal  and lawn care included. I could not take care of this myself.  Also very grateful for a garage which means my car is tucked up safe indoors and out of the elements.




My bird feeders are completely covered. No birds will be enjoying their treats.  Not that any were anyways. Just as well!  This is more snow than they have gotten here for a few years I guess. I am grateful that I don't have anywhere to go. I do need to go and do some banking, but the roads are pretty much plowed now and I should be able to get out no problem.  Except for my tire. I may need the CAA to come take care of that. I have not been able to get it taken care of yet. That's today sorted! 


 


Online Zoom for church.  I am so grateful for modern technology which helps me to stay connected with my church community and has done so for several years now with this darned virus playing havoc with us all.  Susan Branch posted this on Twitter, no resource known. I am grateful for community and for the care we find in each others arms.  Where would I be without the care of others, angels amongst us, family, friends, church?  I dread to think.  We need each other. United we stand, divided we fall . . . 

Interestingly enough our lesson in church yesterday was on how to gather and foster togetherness.  Our Branch President shared with us all the ways we had been able to gather in unique ways over this past year.  Amazingly despite the lockdown, etc. we managed to have at least one activity every month, albeit it online.  But we were still communicating with each other, sharing with each other, fellowshipping together.

Are we not blessed to live in a day and an age where this is possible?  I think so.  


 


Grateful for four walls to keep me safe and warm.  A place to call home. A place to gather in.  There is an art to this gathering, of welcoming in.  Even if for the  most part there is only myself and the two kitties to enjoy it.  There is a sense of belonging in this home. An expression of love and comfort.  Little things.  Everything placed with thoughtfulness and care. Steeped with meaning and filled with joy.

I hope that others can feel the same when they gather in to my home. That there is a sense of welcome here. 

 


My electric fire. I don't use it very often, but when I do, it adds coziness. Even if it is only the flames flickering.  I also put a fire on my television which plays nice piano music.  Very comforting.  If I light my candle which smells like wood fire, one might almost suppose them to be real. You can hear the snapping of the logs.  Feel the warmth.  Smell the fire and wood smoke.  Home Sweet Home.

I am reminded of the last winter that I lived with my family before everything fell apart. We had a wood burning stove in our living room. Most nights I would fall asleep in front of it after the kids went to bed, mesmerized by the flicker and warmth of flame. 




Aren't we all so very blessed to live in a time and a place where we can be lodged during these months of hibernation.  Knelt into cozy.  If you have four walls, and a chair to sit in.  Something and a place to keep you warm and dry. People who cover you in love.  You are indeed blessed.  We may live in a world that is ever changing, but these things . . .  these things which remain constant . . . faith, family, friends, health . . .  love, a place to call home, food in our bellies, shoes on our feet.  People who care and to care about. We are blessed . . .  we are blessed  . . .  


 


Family times  . . .  early morning calls to dad.  Car drives with Cindy.  Burger treats from dad.  Impromptu visits with dad.  Facetimes with sons and grandsons with birthdays (Luke turned 12 yesterday.) Messenger with Eileen.  Staying connected. We are building memories. Dad popped by yesterday on his way to go to Cindy's for supper. We facetimed Anthony together to wish Luke a Happy Birthday.  How many times can you say you got to have a Happy Birthday wish from your Great Grandfather at an age that you will be able to actually remember it. Not often methinks.  

 

They are best friends
I know what that feels like.
To have a best friend you are related to.
💓


Life is good.  Simple and good.

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *Be . . . given to hospitality.
~Romans 12:10, 13•。★★ 。*   




In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Easy Stuffed Italian Sausage.  Only three ingredients. Simple pleasures. 

Have a wonderful day. I hope your week ahead is filled with a multitude of things which bring you joy and peace. Don't forget!

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too!


6 comments:

  1. You did get a ton of snow..It's gorgeous.I dont mind winter.I hate the cold but I am inside cocooning:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really mind Winter that much either. I guess I just love all the seasons! They all have their good points! xoxo

      Delete
  2. We didn't get much snow out of that storm, but another is supposed to be coming our way before the end of the week, so we'll see what we get then. They don't do yard care and snow removal here where I live, but I've hired someone to mow and the kids help with the snow shoveling. So I'm able to get out when needed. I don't have the strength to do it myself any more. Take care and stay safe and warm there. Happy Monday !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are supposed to be getting another one before the end of the week also Pam! That's Winter. We have had more snow this year than we had last year so far! You are so blessed to have children nearby to help! I know you know that! Stay warm and healthy! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, lots of snow, stay safe and warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its very pretty to look at Linda and so cozy from the indoors! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!