Saturday 8 June 2019

Never forget . . .



Would I be brave . . . like the English are
If skies were split with fire and flame,
And the screaming bombs were burstign near
And the dread invasion came.
Would I be brave . . . and laugh like they
If lightning war would come my way?  



Would I be brave . . . when the sirens go,
And run to a shelter cold and deep,
Would I comfort old folk . . .  make them tea,
And keep my smile when I lose my sleep.
Could I stumble and fall and rise again,
And still keep faith with my fellow men.   



Would I be brave . . .  God grant it so
That wi would not shame the blood I bear,
If ever we hear the sirens go,
And watch Death ride in the flaming air,
Holding my courage high as a star,
Let me be brave . . . like the English are.
~Edna Jaques 

   


This week marked the 75th anniversary of D-Day. 

"Ok, Let's go!" - the immortal words of General Dwight D. Eisenhower were spoken at Southwick House, setting in motion the greatest combined operation of all time. The Normandy landings - now known as D-Day - were the largest seaborne invasion in history. They saw the Allied invasion of Normandy, France, beginning on June 6, 1944, and began the liberation of Nazi-occupied France, laying the foundation of Allied victory on the Western Front and the defeat of Hitler. 

This year, the 75th anniversary of the operation, often referred to as D-Day, paid tribute to all those who fought and the sacrifices of the armed forces.  



The day was marked with celebrations and commemorations in France, Great Britain, Canada, the United States . . .  

It was a celebration fit for heroes. The Prince of Wales poignantly said Thursday was "probably the last chance to pay everlasting respect" to the "remarkable" D-Day veterans who were commemorating the 75th anniversary of the landings in northern France.

The Veterens came in their hundreds, by boat and even by parachute. They came to pay their respects to their fallen brothers. Prince Charles, our future King, took part in a number of events around Normandy to mark the anniversary, and said:  

"I remember the last time we were there, I will never forget the determination that they still exude by being there. Being at the cemeteries and being at the commemorations. 

 They always remember their comrades and their friends and the people they had to leave behind. This country lost countless special people and we owe it to them and their families to go on commemorating this." 
 


Who knows what kind of world we would live in today, had it not been for the sacrifice and determination of the Allied forces.  I am ever grateful.  My husband was only a year old when WW2 began. He spent the first  years of his life listening to bombs fall on London, hiding in air raid shelters, living in fear. He was 8 before he saw his father again.  His father was one of the soldiers stranded on the beaches at Dunkirk, and fortunately was one of those who were rescued. Many lost their lives, not only there, but in many, many other places. Brave soldiers, fathers and sons  . . .  women and children . . .

We must never forget the price which was paid
for the freedoms we enjoy today.
History forgotten is
often repeated. 

Never forget  . . .  never again.



Thank you. 


  

Its raining, raining, raining this morning.  It started yesterday . . .  and they are expecting it to last for days and days and days  . . .  



We might see some sunshine by Friday next.  ☺ 

Here's hoping! This be canoodling weather!  Brrr . . .  dig out your wellies because you're going to need them! 

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
With so many things coming back in style,
I can't wait until morals, respect and
intelligence become a trend again.
~Denzel Washington•。★★ 。* 。 

PS - My son is home from hospital and resting. He was able to take a short walk about the neighborhood.  Keep those prayers coming. Much, MUCH appreciated! 


Irish Tea Brack 

Baking in The English Kitchen today  . . .  Irish Tea Brack.  So tasty! 

Have a wonderful Saturday, rain or shine! I'll be putting the finishing touches on my Relief Society lesson for tomorrow.  Don't forget . . . 


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════
 

And I do too! 
 




10 comments:

  1. I love that poem. Thanks very much for sharing it. My in laws were children in London during WW2 and were evacuated. I can't imagine what that must have been like for them and how hard it would have been for the parents to send them away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay. Todd was born in London, he is a true East Ender born within the sound of Bow Bells. His mother wouldn't allow him to be evacuated. Instead she moved out of the centre of London to Harold Hill where her parents lived and they lived with them for the duration of the War. Todd remembers an incindiary bomb coming through the house room and all of the excitment in getting it put out before the house caught on fire! Scary times! xoxo

      Delete
  2. So touching the news and interviews..♥I get tears and tears.
    Marie just finished When They See Us.
    Jacques found it hard to watch.
    I did too and I was filled with anger towrds the detectives and police and Felicity Huffman OF course.
    I was so glad the ending was better and seeing the men today ..
    I cannot imagine the hell on earth they went through.
    Thos poor poor men and their families.SHAME on the people responsible for this.Shame on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your heart just breaks eh? What those poor boys and their families went through. You are right, SHAME on all of those involved in creating this hell for them. Where is justice. Does it really exist? Sometimes I truly wonder. Hope you are enjoying a good weekend. xoxo

      Delete
    2. PS I just started reading the book you were reading, This is How It Always Is.

      Delete
    3. It is different.
      May I suggest a Where à The. Crawdads Sing.🙂

      Delete
    4. You are a bad bad influence Monique, LOL I had to get it on my kindle and was reading it in bed last night! xoxo

      Delete
    5. Have you forgotten Libby?:):):

      Delete
  3. How blessed that your hubby's dad was rescued from Dunkirk! I was terribly ignorant of that chapter until a few years ago when we viewed the film by the same name. What horrors they lived through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a miracle that anyone was rescued Mevely! One of life's great blessings! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!