Tuesday 6 November 2018

The Simple Woman's Daybook . . .


 

FOR TODAY, November 6th, 2018

Outside my window...
Its dark and cold and damp.  There is the smell of sulpher and woodsmoke in the air after all of the bonfires and fireworks last night. Someone had a huge bonfire going right behind our back hedge in the vacant lot and they were shooting fireworks off directly over our house. It went on for ages, and then it stopped (the fireworks) and then it started again several times.  I can only think they were running out of fireworks and then going to get more.  It was horrendous. Mitzie gets so upset.  She was literally shaking.  Loud, noisy, scary.  We had her between us on the sofa with a blanket over her.

I am thinking ...
They should ban the sale of fireworks to private individuals.  They should only be allowed in certain places and one of them SHOULDN'T be residential areas.

In the kitchen ...

Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Casserole 

Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Casserole.  The leftovers from a rotisserie chicken get put to good use.  YUM! 

On my "To Cook" list ... 


Feast of Eats, Chicken Alfredo Bake.  I have never had Alfredo anything.  Methinks its time to change that.  

Good to know ... 

Haley Hilton, how to study your Patriarchal Blessing and get the most out of it you can.  

I am creating ...



Dot Pebble Knits.  A wild rabbit knitting pattern.  Not free, but cute.  



Hooked on Patterns.  Free pattern for a mini Santa sack gift bag.   



Cosy by Caroline.  Free pattern for a Winter Beanie Hat.  


Bobbles PotHolder.  Drops Design on Ravelry.  Free Pattern. 



Lion Brand Yarns.  Counterpoint sweater. Love this.  

Oh My Goodness ... 


Kirkland Signature Cashew Clusters with almonds and pumpkin seeds. Incredibly moreish.

I am reading ...

The Magdalen Girls by V. S. Alexander 
Dublin, 1962. Within the gated grounds of the convent of The Sisters of the Holy Redemption lies one of the city’s Magdalen Laundries. Once places of refuge, the laundries have evolved into grim workhouses. Some inmates are “fallen” women—unwed mothers, prostitutes, or petty criminals. Most are ordinary girls whose only sin lies in being too pretty, too independent, or tempting the wrong man. Among them is sixteen-year-old Teagan Tiernan, sent by her family when her beauty provokes a lustful revelation from a young priest.

Teagan soon befriends Nora Craven, a new arrival who thought nothing could be worse than living in a squalid tenement flat. Stripped of their freedom and dignity, the girls are given new names and denied contact with the outside world. The Mother Superior, Sister Anne, who has secrets of her own, inflicts cruel, dehumanizing punishments—but always in the name of love. Finally, Nora and Teagan find an ally in the reclusive Lea, who helps them endure—and plot an escape. But as they will discover, the outside world has dangers too, especially for young women with soiled reputations.

 Told with candor, compassion, and vivid historical detail, The Magdalen Girls is a masterfully written novel of life within the era’s notorious institutions—and an inspiring story of friendship, hope, and unyielding courage.

A real page turner.

Looking forward to ... 

  

There is a Pot Luck Lunch at the chapel on Thursday. 

Dreaming about ...

  

Lace, piping, small buttons and tiny belts  . . . 


Shawl collars, double buttons, ruffled bodice . . . embroidered hemlines  . . .  


  

Tiny flowers, gathers, ricrac trims  . . . oh and more buttons, and puffed sleeves . . . 



That sweater  . . .  that dress  . . .  that belt  . . . 

 
 

Tres chic  . . . 

Something to watch  ... 


Outlander Season 4  . . .  they're in Colonial America now  . . . 

Makes me smile ... 

  

Dachshounds (sp)  I love them almost as much as I love Cockers . . . 

A Quote for the day ... 

 (¯`v´¯)
  `*.¸.*´Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ¸. •´¸.•~♥♥♥~•. ~ ღϠ₡ღ¸. ✻´´¯`✻.¸¸.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ.   
Success is walking¸. •´¸.•~♥♥♥~•. ~ ღϠ₡ღ¸. ✻´´¯`✻.¸¸.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ.   
from failure to failure¸. •´¸.•~♥♥♥~•. ~ ღϠ₡ღ¸. ✻´´¯`✻.¸¸.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ.   
with no loss of enthusiasm.¸. •´¸.•~♥♥♥~•. ~ ღϠ₡ღ¸. ✻´´¯`✻.¸¸.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ.   
~Winston Churchill¸. •´¸.•~♥♥♥~•. ~ ღϠ₡ღ¸. ✻´´¯`✻.¸¸.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ.   
¸. •´¸.•~♥♥♥~•. ~ ღϠ₡ღ¸. ✻´´¯`✻.¸¸.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ.    ¸. •´¸.•~

Corners of my kingdom ... 


The White Cliffs of Dover  . . . 

 
And that's my daybook for this week!



  ⋱ ⋮ ⋰
⋯ ◯ ⋯ Take time to enjoy the small *´¯`.¸¸.☆

  ⋰ ⋮ ⋱ blessings in life.*´¯`.¸¸.☆ 




✿¸.•*¨`*•..✿✿¸.•*¨`*•..✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.• ╬♥═╬╬═♥=╬╬═♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥═╬♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥
░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░ 



Have a beautiful day!  Don't forget!  

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════  


And I do too!    

   

23 comments:

  1. Hi, Marie! Hope you're recovering from bonfire night! :/ That's how New Year's Eve is here... loud, noisy, people shooting up fireworks... Not so spoil others' fun, but it feels a bit too much... LOL! And it scares Luna... So I sympathize! LOTS of good food and fiber fun here today... Your pot luck lunch sounds such fun! And your current reading sounds really good! Ooo... that lace dress is gorgeous!! So is that grey one too. I wish I had more dresses... not always easy to find something pretty that fits. I love that white belt that almost looks like a kitty cat face!! Wishing you all there a good new week now! :) LOVE YOU SO MUCH!! ((LOVE & BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy day Tracy! You have the perfect figure for these dresses. I wish I was lovely and petit like you! I am short, but as wide as I am tall. None of these would look very nice on me! The fireworks will continue now almost continuously until after the New Year. I hate it! Too many people with money to burn I guess! Love and hugs and happy week wishes to you, TJ and Luna! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Hi Marie, I'm definitely with you on banning the sale of fireworks. This discussion comes up every year but nothing ever gets done. When I was a child my dad used to bring fireworks home every Bonfire Night and I loved it, everybody did. But for the last 20 or 30 years they have been selling them, illegally, to children and so the problems began. I love the proper organised displays. We went to the River of Light display, which was put on by Wirral council, and it was amazing, and free!

    I'm meeting my best friend Julie today and were going to Liverpool for a mooch round the shops and dinner. I hope the rain keeps off!

    Enjoy your Tuesday, lot's of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how lovely the River of Light must have been. I think that there are a lot of nasty youth that get them. They've even been shooting them off in the day time here. Its nuts! I hope the rain holds off and you have a good mooch around and dinner! Love and hugs! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Good morning Marie,
    I know this reply says it's Michael Byrne, but it's ME, his wife, Teri.
    I'm using his computer *.*
    How I love opening your blog to find such lovely thoughts, recipes and ideas!

    In fact, I made your Gingerbread yesterday to share with an elderly neighbor who is showing signs of dementia.
    She immediately (upon tasting the cake) said, "Oh, my mother used to make gingerbread." In other words, it was a success!! — YaY.

    Do you live in England or Ireland? I guess I thought you lived in England all this time, until i saw your photo of the White Cliffs of Dover this morning.

    Thank you 100 times over for being YOU.
    God knew what He was doing when he set you loose in the world. Thank you, Lord.

    May you and your hubby continue to shine and enjoy life's graces.
    x-x-x-x-x-x
    Teri
    Oregon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Teri! I am so pleased that my gingerbread recipe was a success. The White Cliffs of Dover are in England and are the first thing you see when you are sailing back from France! I do live in England, in the Welsh borderlands! In fact our city Chester has only just taken the law off the books which stated that Welshmen were not allowed within the city walls after dark. I have never been to Ireland but it is on my bucket list. Maybe next year. We will see! xoxo

      Delete
    2. OOOOH see how educational "social media" is!!
      Silly me, about the White Cliffs of Dover. But now I know—and smarter, too, all because of YOU.

      Carry on, my dear!
      We need you in our lives!

      love love love
      x-x-x-x-x-x-x
      Teri

      Delete
  4. Have a great day!The book sounds good..I am reading a light book..Welcome to the cupcake café very sweet!And she loves vintage dresses ..recipes etc..a book you could have written for sure with your expertise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, it sounds a nice book Monique! I will have to look it up! Hope you are having a lovely day! xoxo

      Delete
  5. The only time we have fireworks like that is the 4th of July here. A few go off on New Years, but nothing like what you are experiencing. Hopefully it will quiet down for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was again last night. People have money to burn it seems Pam! xoxo

      Delete
  6. Arrrgh..MEET ME at the Cupcake Cafe;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh poor darling Mitzie...those cruel idiots popping off the fireworks!! Start calling your local authorities and complaining. Believe me, squeeky wheels do get oiled...maybe get a few neighbors to complain too!! Strength in numbers. Our dogs went bananas too...Mitzie has to be smart though...stupid dogs usually don't worry over much about such things. Dachunds are cute...but the one we had almost cured me of loving dogs...took me 8 years to get another. In a year we were NEVER able to cure him of peeing in the house...OR ON MY FRIENDS!! SO embarrassing. He must have been missing some brain cells. NOTHING we tried worked. We hated to get rid of him as he was so good with the kids...but a person cannot manage in a home with dog pee all over.
    Now I am asking a food question. Our daughter who is so fragile and allergic to so much is coming for Thanksgiving. I need to figure out how to make some biscuits or bread that will not have oil in it, to make the stuffing from. She is gluten free too, but that is no issue for me as I am as well. But the oil...I know you can substitute applesauce fairly well...but that is sweet...do you have an idea for oil substitute that is not sweet? (My daughter just cannot use virtually any oil due to her gall bladder issues). Thanks for considering...I value your advice!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh poor you with the peeing dog!! I am afraid that I am at a loss for your substitution for oil in stuffing. Butter, but that would probably still be an issue. Chicken stock maybe??? Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
    2. Thank you Marie...yea, we will be using stock in the end result...maybe it really won't matter not using oil in the biscuits...as we want them dried out anyway to make stuffing...I will just have to experiment and see what happens...heh, sometimes the best things are pure accidents from my viewpoint.
      Elizabeth xoxo

      Delete
    3. That's very true Elizabeth. I like your attitude! xoxo

      Delete
  8. Hi Marie...
    You’ll be busy with all those patterns!
    Sorry to hear your dog was frightened of the fireworks...same thing happens here.
    Your cooking looks delish...enjoy your week...
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Linda! You have a great week also! xoxo

      Delete
  9. Hi Marie~

    Oh, I'm so sorry that people have to always ruin a good thing. Fireworks are so hard on dogs. Unless, your dog is my, Cole - he loves them! He will just sit and wait for the next explosion and then try to chase it...that is scary as well. I'm sorry your night was so disrupted though, not fun. The smell of the smoke from the bonfire would be enough to send me over the edge!

    Love, love, love!! You always find the most delightful things to look at, Marie. I need to read the article on, Patriarchal Blessings, that one is one to mark. The dresses, the chicken Alfredo bake...yum! And I love miniature Dachshunds! My daughter has a one and his name is, Bandit, he's adorable. I just go done babysitting him for 8 days, we cuddled a lot! And the, White Cliffs of Dover have always made me smile...gorgeous!!

    Loved it all...love you!

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb! I know that the smell of fire would be awful for you living where you do in Montana. Having a dog that chases fireworks is as frightening as having one who is terrified! Wow! I can't imagine! Happy birthday to you today with love and hugs! xoxo

      Delete
  10. The book sounds like an intriguing one. I really loved all the clothes; so fun to wish upon.
    Sammy doesn’t like fireworks either and I wish they weren’t legal for individuals.
    The good looks so yummy and you should try that alfredo one.
    The little dog photo is the cutest.
    Thanks for the link to the 8 tips for studying your partiarchal blessings; I loved that one.
    Always enjoy your daybook! Blessings and hugs~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes LeAnn! To be young again and have the figure to pull it off! Maybe on the other side of the veil! Love and hugs! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!