Saturday 24 November 2018

The Button Bag . . .



What a gay host of memories
That faded button bag contains,
Leading me back across the years,
Down stony roads and quiet lanes
Making me see as plain as day,
The gentle folk of yesterday.


Here is a button of fine jet,
My grandma had it on a basque,
I see her in her corded silk,
Her face as rigid as a mask,
Waving her fan serene and sweet,
In the old church on Maple street.



This one was on my brother's coat,
And I can see the little boy
That he once was . . . his chubby face,
And eyes that sparkled from sheer joy,
Driving his dog on a red sleigh,
Coming in rosy from his play.



This pink one with the little bows,
Was on a waist my mother had,
And I can see her plain as plain,
Smiling across the room at Dad,
Her cheeks as rosy as the gown,
And her dear eyes of shiny brown.



So the old faded button bag,
Is magic in a world of woe,
Giving me glimpses clear and bright,
Of that safe world of long ago,
When love was there serene and warm,
To shelter us from wind and storm . . .



Ohh, when I was a child I loved to rifle through my mother's button box.  It was like a Pirate's treasure box to me.  All of those pretty little things, the colours, the shapes, the sizes . . . I had my favourites.  I still have favourites.   

  

I really love old glass buttons, or clear buttons that look sparkly like glass . . .  and I love the pearly ones, ones that look like they might have been carved from oyster shells and such.  I have a real love for white buttons, and heart shaped buttons.  Buttons with pictures on them.  Character buttons.  I just love buttons.  Large, small and in-between.  I can remember my mother, before a garment would be put into the rag bin, carefully clipping and snipping off any buttons to go into her button box. You could be pretty sure if ever a button went missing on one of your shirts or whatever, you would be able to find one closely resembling it enough to take its place inside the depths of her button box. 

 

You can keep your silver and gold, just give me a button box!

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
Do small things,
with great Love.
~Mother Theresa  •。★★ 。* 。 

Mother Theresa was a woman I greatly admired.  She truly loved her fellow beings. 


Mother In Law's Pumpkin Bread 

Baking in The English Kitchen today  . . .  a fabulous Pumpkin Bread.  I like to serve it with homemade spiced maple butter.  Yummy!

Have a great Saturday!  Don't forget along the way of your day! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too!






12 comments:

  1. Hi Marie, I used to love my mums button box as a child too, and I did start my own when I got married and must have had it about 25 years. I then realised that I only put buttons in it and had never, ever taken one out. I literally had a giant tin full of buttons that I would never use! So, me being me, and hating clutter, I got rid of it and too be honest I haven't missed it.....yet!

    I'm going to Manchester today to meet my daughter. I think we're going round the Christmas markets and then to the cinema to see a Christmas movie, getting in the festive mood!

    Have a great weekend, lot's of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a huge button box and do use them from time to time, but it is always hard for me because I hate parting with them. Have you seen that show on Netflix called Consumed? Its amazing how attached people become to stuff and how much their lives are changed when they get rid of it all! Happy weekend, enjoy your day with your daughter! I can only wish for such a thing! xoxo

      Delete
    2. Oooooh no, I'll have a look for it, sounds like my kind of film! Just on the train home from Manchester, exhausted but had a lovely day. We went to see the new Grinch film, loved it! Xxx

      Delete
    3. Its a television program on Netflix Kate! Its quite inspiring! Glad you had a lovely day! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I loved my mom's too..and her yarn tin for darning socks♥Wish I had them..I do hav e some of her buttons though:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful Legacy Monique! Even the buttons are something. My mother's memory is getting worse and worse. I don't think she actually knows who I am when I call. Occasionally I think she catches a glimpse of who I am, but I think for the most part I am just another person talking to her on the phone. xoxo

      Delete
  3. I have a large jar full of buttons and am so thankful for it. Many the time I've lost a button on a shirt or jacket and usually have one to replace it. I try never to throw out anything without having first removed the buttons. I keep adding to the collection too. Mother Teresa is someone we could all aim to be like. She was a wonderful role model for us and I often quote her too. Happy Saturday! I'm going to a party so I know it will be a happy day for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have had a lovely time at your party Pam! Happy Sunday! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Tis always good to keep the buttons unless donating the whole garment to the thrift shop. Many times one is grateful to find that button that matches or nearly, when one goes missing. My rule is that if a button comes loose, I apply thread to ALL buttons on a garment...and usually none are lost ever. Does not take overly long to add a few more strands to each either. I also find the styles of buttons very appealing.
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently had to add all new buttons to a coat of mine. Some people would have gotten rid of the coat. Getting rid isn't an option for me. I have to just make do and wear things out! I didn't mind. I was able to find some lovely blue buttons with daisies on them to use on the coat and it feels like a brand new coat all over again! Yay! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Your Pumpkin bread looks so yummy that I can almost smell it from here. I will have to try your recipe.
    I thought this was such a fun post. I remember my own mother’s box of buttons. I do have a small collection. I find buttons interesting but not enought that I have saved alot of them. I don’t think that items have as beautifull of buttons as they used too.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and love of buttons.
    Sending lot of love and hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most buttons today are very boring when compared to the buttons of yesteryear LeAnn! I agree! Love and hugs! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!