Tuesday 2 January 2018

The Simple Woman's Daybook . . .

 

FOR TODAY, January 2, 2018

Outside my window ...
Its dark and cold. It is hard to believe that I am writing my first daybook post of 2018. As a child I thought in the Millenium we would be living like the Jetsons. Where's my robot maid?

I am thinking ...
I often dream about chasing things and never finding them. I wonder if this is significant in any way???  What I am after always eludes me, close but not close enough to touch.  Last night in my dream an elf promised me a fish and chip dinner and then proceeded to eat it while I was otherwise occupied, and at another point I had a television and a dvd to watch, but could not find the dvd player.

In the kitchen ...
 

Spaghetti with Roasted Chicken and Shredded Brussels.  This was really tasty. Leftovers redone in a most delicious way.

On my "To Cook" list ...

From Averie Cookies.  Chocolate Coconut Mounds Brownies.  These look dangerous.  

Good to Know ...

These could also be blogging prompts.

I am creating ...
  

I have always liked this and I share it again because this year I AM going to make this.  From Nana & Company. A complete Needlebook Tutorial. 


Sewing and mending kit tutorial.  From Lots of Pink Here.  


Pixie Heart Strings.  Crochet Dog Harness for a small dog.  


Little Star Frame Ornaments (thinking on next year already) A great way to use up old Christmas Cards also. From Little Golden Nook.  


This Little Street.  2018 free printable calendar.  

I am reading ...

The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton  
On an autumn day in 1686, eighteen-year-old Nella Oortman knocks at the door of a grand house in the wealthiest quarter of Amsterdam. She has come from the country to begin a new life as the wife of illustrious merchant trader Johannes Brandt, but instead she is met by his sharp-tongued sister, Marin. Only later does Johannes appear and present her with an extraordinary wedding gift: a cabinet-sized replica of their home. It is to be furnished by an elusive miniaturist, whose tiny creations mirror their real-life counterparts in unexpected ways . . . 

Nella is at first mystified by the closed world of the Brandt household, but as she uncovers its secrets she realizes the escalating dangers that await them all. Does the miniaturist hold their fate in her hands? And will she be the key to their salvation or the architect of their downfall?

Beautiful, intoxicating and filled with heart-pounding suspense, Jessie Burton's magnificent debut novel The Miniaturist is a story of love and obsession, betrayal and retribution, appearance and truth.

After watching the Mini Series on TV over the Christmas season I found myself wanting to read the book.  It is supposed to be very good.

I am looking forward to ...
Things getting back to normal. We took the tree and decorations down yesterday, now I need to purge the house of all its mince pies, Christmas Cake, etc.

Dreaming about ...

Blues and whites and lots of light  . . . 

  

Clawfoot tubs and ceramic heaters  . . . 


French Country Romantic  . . .  and French doors to the outside . . .  


Yes please  . . . 

  

Patio Picnics in Provence  . . .  

Something to watch ...

Another Mother's Son.  On Netflix.
 The true-life tale of a mother who hides a fugitive Russian in the Channel Islands during the second world war.

A Quote for the Day ...

 (¯`v´¯)
  `*.¸.*´Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ¸. •´¸.•~♥♥♥~•. ~ ღϠ₡ღ¸. ✻´´¯`✻.¸¸.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ.
              ( ¸. ❀⁀ ⋱‿✿“` * .¸.* ✻ღϠ₡ ღ¸.✻´´¯`✻.¸¸.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ.. 
Happiness depends
      on a leisurely breakfast . . . 
          ~unknown ( ¸. ❀⁀ ⋱‿✿“` * .¸.* ✻ღϠ₡ ღ¸.✻´´¯`✻.¸¸.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ.. 

Makes me smile ...


Luke (7 later this month)

Its almost as big as he is! Now that's a big candy cane! 

Corners of my kingdom ...

Lymm, Warrington, Cheshire . . .  not too far from where I live . . . 

  And that's my daybook for this week!


  ⋱ ⋮ ⋰
⋯ ◯ ⋯ Take time to enjoy the small *´¯`.¸¸.☆
  ⋰ ⋮ ⋱ blessings in life.*´¯`.¸¸.☆


✿¸.•*¨`*•..✿✿¸.•*¨`*•..✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.• ╬♥═╬╬═♥=╬╬═♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥═╬♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥
░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░    

 

BOOK OF MORMON CORNER - Today's Reading - 2 Nephi 26:12-30 
Question - What have you learnt from the reading today? How do you recognise the subtle flaxen cords around your neck before they become too strong? 

My thoughts - Satan is so crafty. He is the master of deception. He works in darkness and in secret. I think the flaxen chord is a tiny sin, the new we justify, easy to break by itself. But if not repented of, they can build until they become big metal chains. I suppose Nephi has seen this happen with his brothers Laman and Lemuel. Stumbling blocks are obstructions that even though we can  see them, we still fall over them. 
 
I've taken so much from these verses, lots of truths to feast on!! 'he manifesteth himself unto all those who believe in Him... working mighty miracles, signs, and wonders, among the children of men according to their faith.' Look at what Christ is able to do when we believe & have faith. He will manifest Himself to me when I believe in Him. He will work miracles, signs and wonders amongst me and my family when I have faith in Him.
 
'and the prayers of the faithful shall be heard, and all those who have dwindled in unbelief shall not be forgotten'. There is power in my righteous prayers for those I know and love who 'dwindle in unbelief'. They aren't forgotten by the Lord, they are always in His sight and hands.   If  I am regularly and sincerely praying for them, I won't forget them. They will be in my thoughts and the Spirit will guide me to know what God needs me to do in His plan for them. 
 
 'He doeth not anything save it be for the benefit of the world; for he loveth the world'. Perfect love is God's purpose in everything He does. Elder Holland has said that 'the first & great truth is that God loves us with all His heart might mind and strength'. I believe this. I hold on to this great truth. I know we can pray to see and feel this love and our prayers will be answered.
 
Tomorrow's Reading (Day 66) -2 Nephi 26:31-27:11 
Question - What have you learnt from the reading today? What do you think it means, that the book shall be read upon house tops? 
 
 
Have a beautiful Tuesday.  Don't forget along the way of your day!


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 

And I do too!  
 



 

14 comments:

  1. Happy new year, Marie! I have had a draft of yesterday's post going all day--and still haven't managed to write. Soon!

    The "Corners of My Kingdom" pic is especially pretty today. Having water that close would make me nervous, but it is enchanting.

    Have you read _the Book Thief_? You might like that too.

    'Almost 3 a.m. here and still getting Mom's birthday package ready to mail later this morning. I napped earlier so am not tired enough to sleep right now anyway. It will be quite nice, yes, to get home and schedule both back to normal this month. I loved this year's Christmas tree, but my new desk is soon to go into that spot and I'm eager to start putting it all together. :)

    Happy new year to you, Todd, and the puppers. :) ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy new year to you and Todd. Wishing you both a year of good health and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you are able to,put such nice pictures of..things....you certainly are in the craft mood this morning, can you imagine my Masy with that wee harnes on ! That wee dog looks just like her.....If we ever got the warm summers like in France you and Todd could easily have a nice table on your patio close your eyes feel the sun,hear the wee birds....isn't that lovely!!!......you could quite easily make these wee sewing kits the recipients would love it I'm sure....looks like going to be a wet day down here, Mary and I had thought of going to Chippenham to do some shopping but as the rain comes ever nearer I doubt if we will go. I will just pop along to our garage and buy potatoes especially.
    Hope you have a good day..thanks again for our visit it was wonderful....xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thaks Val! I will take your recommendation to read the Book Thief! I saw the movie and am sure I would like the book! A very Happy New Year to you! xoxo

    Happy New Year Linda! I am sure you are warm and toasty in Greece! xoxo

    THanks Sybil! I do feel quite crafty. I have watched far too much television over these past two weeks. I want to be DOING! Love and hugs and Happy new Year to you and Mary and yes, Masy! xoxo PS - Peter too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marie, I can't believe it's your first day book of 2018 either!!

    Had a phone call from Clatterbridge this morning and they've cancelled my op for tomorrow. There's no available beds. Not sure when its going to be now.

    I believe Storm Eleanor is on it's way so baton down the hatches!! Lot's of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate! That is SOOOO annoying and happens far too often! ((((hugs)))) There is nothing worse than gearing yourself up for a procedure and then it getting put off! I hope you don't have to wait long! I am batting down the hatches for sure! Love and hugs! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, dear Marie! HAPPY NEW YEAR! And many thanks for the lovely birthday and new year greetings from you! :))) We were deep in the cozy of Christmas, and it was a sweet time, so I’m slow to visiting... Today I’ve had to wear clothes ALL day, and there’s been things to do... So it feels a bit cold turkey getting back into the swing of things...LOL! It is so good to be back here and catching up with, and your holidays too. And sooo glad you had such a great time meeting Sybil!! So many beautiful things and ideas today--fun to start the new week of a new year with! Fun to see your new reading too! And LOVED seeing all your intentions for the new year! :) Wishing all your wishes and dreams come true! :))) LOTS of LOVE to you all there ((LOVE & BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete

  8. The Book Thief was great Val..the movie too:)
    Just read Last Christmas In Paris..lovely read for the holiday..letters many letters..the war..friendship..love..good book.
    I have ben crafting..have enjoyed it's too cold outside..severe extreme cold warning again today.When QC warns you..they mean it.
    I read on IG someone's weather had dropped to 60F..and she was complaining.yikes.
    Made some feltie things..just puttering here and there..

    Just started the book Sourdough..don't know how I came to hear about it..

    Ordered yet another book from The Book Depository..Parka Blogs posted about it this AM..My Year In Small Drawings.

    Watched such a sad movie last night..Manchester By The Sea..Amazon Prime..Casey Affleck is so good..and my most handsome is in it:)
    That candy cane is HUGE:)
    Happy day to you~


    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year ! It's a good day to be creative they say.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Tracy! Happy New Year to you also. Am glad you enjoyed the Birthday Card. I did not get one into the post unfortunately. I am slow off the mark this year! It was fun finally meeting Sybil! I have only ever met the BEST people via this medium, yourself included! Loved your last post and have taken on board a few things! Love and hugs to you TJ and Luna! xoxo

    I have heard how cold it is in Northern Ont/PQ Monique, Brrrr. You stay indoors and canoodle as much as you can. I can't wait to see what you have been up to. Please share photos! How are your chickens faring in this extreme cold? Well, I hope! I looked up the drawing book, what a unique idea, and the other one also, Sourdough. It looks really good, not a cookbook! People are so clever! Am putting the movie on my watch list! Happy Day to you too! xoxo

    Happy New Year Pam! it is good to be creative! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Marie~

    Your dream is crazy! And do I dare say that I also have crazy dreams... ;0)

    I really like the journal questions...great ideas for blog posts! I'm seriously going to try harder to keep up with my blog and others as well.

    I have a box full of old Christmas cards that I just can't bear to throw away. The little crocheted ornaments are so cute.

    I finally finished my books on, Joseph Smith, so I will be looking for something new to read. Of course I will still read my scriptures, but the Miniaturist sounds really good, I will definitely look into that one.

    That is one giant candy cane!! I hope he paces himself!

    I went to the Dr. today, I have bronchitis. He dosed me up with some strong antibiotics and cough syrup so I am looking forward to a good nights rest!

    I'm off for the night...loved all your ideas!

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad it was only bronchitis Barb and nothing sinister!!! Whew! Hope you are feeling better soon! I got Todd the books for Christmas on Joseph Smith, on his kindle. He is really enjoying them! I hope you do blog more as I always enjoy all your poss. Hugs, love and Happy 2018 wishes to you and your dear husband! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another fun Daybook entry; I loved it.
    I love that you remember your dreams. Sometimes, I thnk there is a message. I don't remember dreams very much and I don't know if I even have them very often. Worrisome; somehow!
    The brownies do look so yummy!
    Thanks for the 52 journal thoughts. I love to journal but I am always behind and I get so frustrated. I did like it for blog thoughts too. Now that we aren't on our mission; I need to decide what to do with my blog. Before the mission, I was doing a post a week; but then cut back. I need to ponder on it all. Life just doesn't seem to slow down much for me.
    I like the crocheted items.
    The book sounded like a really good one. You do read such a variety of books. I just need a moment to really read a good novel. I did read a Christmas one by Richard Paul Evans before we left for Hawaii. It felt so good to read a novel.
    I will look into the movie; it looked good too.
    I loved every photo of your I'm dreaming! Loved the decor in all the photots.
    Your little grandson is adorable and that candy cane is a large one.
    I love your photos of England; so lovely! I hope to visit there someday.
    Great thoughts on The Book of Mormon!
    Blessings, love and hugs for you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks LeAnn! You probably accomplish a lot more in real life than I do because you are not on the computer. I need to get more balance in my life! Love and hugs! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!