Monday 22 January 2018

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard  

A few of the small and wonderful things from the past week which brought untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.


Sunday nights with Call the Midwife.  Season Seven started off last night and we are in CTMW heaven! No spoilers here, but make sure you bring your tissues.  It's still the winter of 1963 and everyone is in a freeze with power cuts, etc.  Fabulous!  I love CTMW.  I think it is one of my favourite shows ever! 

  

Toast and jam.  I have my favourites when it comes to jam. Strawberry is top of the list and I do love white bread, although whole wheat is what we choose these days.  No butter (I wish for butter, but no butter for me) and a thin spread of jam.  I can remember watching my ex MIL put jam on her toast and she positively ladled it on, with every mouthful getting a spoonful . . .  sigh, those were the days!  I rarely have it now, and when I do it is very thinly spread, but I love it when I have it, thinly spread or not!  


The Voice.  We record it on Saturday nights and watch it on Sunday afternoons and we both thoroughly enjoy it.  Funny, we never watched it the whole time it was on BBC, but we started watching it when they had the special kids version prior to Christmas and really got into it and are really enjoying the adult version this time around also.  Sir Tom Jones is amazing for his age.  He is 78 (in June) and still kicking it. If I was on The Voice (and there is not even the remotest possibility of that ever happening, I can't sing) and he turned, I would pick Sir Tom! 


Watching Prince Harry and Meghan wow the crowds in Cardiff on the telly.  This couple are so besotted with each other and the crowd just eats them up.  Clearing two of the most popular people in the Royal circle for now anyways.  I can't wait for the wedding!  I am really excited about that.  People just love Meghan!  I love that also.  So happy that the Royals can now settle for love, unlike the old days.  


She is simply stunning.  I wonder what title she will be given?  
An American Princess.  It's pretty wonderful.


Mormon Channel Music Radio.  We have it programmed into our smart tv and we listen to it all the time.  Uplifting, beautiful music.  It sets the tones for our days pretty much. 

  

I slept like a log last night.  It did take me a bit to fall asleep, but once I did, I slept right through and didn't wake up until amost 6:30 this morning.  That is highly unsual for me, but I am sure grateful for it.  I rarely get a really decent night's sleep without waking up half a dozen times during the night.


Sunday talks with my mum.  I love these special moments.  I wish we could talk every day.  I know you get sick of me saying that.  I love my mum so much and am so grateful for every conversation we have.  Most times we just talk about the same things each time. Her memory is not what it used to be and she rarely leaves the house these days.  Party because it is Winter I suppose and then her feet hurt her alot and she was telling me yesterday her legs felt like jelly on Saturday so she didn't go out like she normally does.  I told her to make sure she walks every day, even if it is just around the house.  If you don't use it you lose it.  She said my sister had gotten the walker out that I bought her the last time I was home, so I was grateful for that.  Sometimes when we are talking she will spy a bird out the window or some such and her voice really becomes animated when she is describing it to me, or one of the cats will pop up to visit her and I hear the joy . . . those moments are real blessings to me. 


So grateful for my first and my bestest friend ever.   What a gift and blessing she has been in my life.

  

My by-word for the year I have decided.  If it doesn't bring me joy, I am not doing it, having it, keeping it.  Life is too short I have decided to accept anything less.  So far I have gone through every cupboard in the kitchen and culled and have felt a great weight lifted.  Now it is time to tackle the rest of the house.  I know it sounds like I am a great hoarder, and I promise you I am not, but I do have too much stuff.  Its time to let go  . . . 


Its empowering. 
Scary too.

   


A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.
A joyful life is not a floodlight of joy.
A joyful life is made up of joyful moments,
gracefully strung together by trust,
gratitude and faith.
~Brene Brown    •。★★ 。* 。 



 

BOOK OF MORMON CORNER - Today's Reading -  Jacob 5:35-48 
Question - What went wrong in the vineyard? How does the Lord react?  

My thoughtsPride.  Ruins.  Everything. Lord has worked so hard to bring the olive tree out of death and decay. He saved Noah's people from the flood, Israel and the whole of Egypt from famine. He led to a new place  . . . Jaredites . . . Israelites . . . Nephites/Lamanites  . . . Pioneers. These examples are our proof of His desire to have a distinct righteous people. Agency is an absolutely amazing gift and is central to the Fathers plan. We have to want to live with Him, living as He lives, and loving His ways  . . . .  sacrifice, service, obedience. If we learn in this life to seek out His ways and are eager to do them, we will feel more comfortable in His presence. Heaven be thanked for that very real truth . . . . that we can feel like that . . .  clean and comfortable in the presence of God!! We have agency but I can see from this allegory that we aren't just left to it, I know the Saviour is at work in our lives, INDIVIDUALLY . . .  whether we choose to recognise that fact or not.  I don't know how but I know it's true. He nourishes, He prunes, He plants us in certain spots, He digs about us,  all to bring us to a place where we might choose heavenly things. He does everything He can for us, but without ever taking away our agency. He lives and He loves us!!  This is amazing because I know I have moments, and many of them, where I am not exactly deserving of this.  That is a part of the beauty of His love for me.  He loves me anyways. 

Tomorrow's reading (Day 83) -  Jacob 5:49-69 
Question - What have you learnt from reading Jacob 5? 

 

In the kitchen today, Cheese, Bacon & Spring Onion Scones.  Fluffy, light and delicious.

I hope you have a wonderful week filled to overflowing with small and wonderful things, special moments.  Don't forget!


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 

And I do too!
  
 
 



 


3 comments:

  1. My word for the year is closely related. In stead of JOY I selected Happy. The same in some case but necessarily so. Hope the week ahead is a good one ! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky mom/daughters:) Yay..So nice to see the appreciation:)♥
    Re The cute royal couple..If I read one more comment about her messy bun and how she should look more distinguished..lol..people..she looks distinguished with her messy bun because she radiates beauty and doesn't need to have a hairdresser by her side every moment.People are so hung up on coiffed.How about a bit more natural?She can get away with it.
    Rant over lol.
    She's adorb.
    I have a long wait for one of our fave shows too..we thought we were watching it because I guess we had missed the fisrt epi of Season 6..watched that..happy happy..settled in to epi 2..we had seen it..so it seems the tv was pvring season 6..:( Can't wait..LOVE THAT SHOW..
    The Voice my family across the street loves it..J hates those shows..yes hates lol..so we don't watch..because I watch one show a day..7.30 -8.30..whatever we are watching..
    Blablabla..gift of the gab I have this AM..Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your word for the Year Pam! Yes, very closely related! Joy makes me happy! Love and hugs, xoxo

    I think people today are so very small minded Monique! She is gorgeous, end of story! I love her messy bun! We do not always have to have every hair in place! That kind of thinking really saddens me. We need to stop judging each other so harshly, I agree. Nice matters, it is more important than every hair in place! we agree! You are in for a treat Monique, I think it is one of the best shows on air today! LOL, I love it when you get gabby! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!