Wednesday 17 January 2018

Wednesday meanderings of my mind . . .

 plastic
 [plas-tik]
noun

Often, plastics. Any of a group of synthetic or natural organic materials that may be shaped when soft and then hardened, including many types of resins, resinoids, polymers, cellulose derivatives, casein materials, and proteins: used in place of other materials, as glass, wood, and metals, in construction and decoration, for making many articles, as coatings, and, drawn into filaments, for weaving. They are often known by trademark names, as Bakelite, Vinylite, or Lucite.

@{------------------------}@

Did you know that  more than 8 Billion tons of plastic has been produce since the 1950's?? Put into context, the amount of plastic created in 65 years is as heavy as 60 million blue whales or 138 million army tanks.

STAGGERING


Scientists have calculated 8.3 billion tons of plastic has been created across the world since mass-production started in 1950. US Researchers have found that the large majority of this, 6.3 billion, is now littering our countryside and oceans, or is buried in our landfills.  Of the total amount of plastic produced from 1950 to 2015, roughly half was manufactured in just the last 13 years. It is said that if current trends continue, roughly 12 billion tons of plastic waste will end up in the environment or landfills by 2050.


What are we going to do about it?

This is an environmental disaster that has been years in the making and something needs to be done, and very quickly, before it is too late.  I would like to see us go back to paper bags and glass bottles, and for single use plastics to be banned entirely.  I am not sure how feasable any of this is, or how expensive to implement, but something needs to be done and more sooner than later. Just looking around my house I am overwhelmed by the amount of plastic I see . . . 


That beautiful electric fire is mostly compossed of . . .  you might not have guessed it . . . plastic, cleverly manufactured to look like metal.  I think the only metal parts are the screws, handle and housing for the motor beneath it.  I was quite surprised.  I had thought it was all metal, only to discover after we had had it for several  months that it was not. I was a bit disappointed about that.

Those cherubs sitting on the mantle  . . .  resin, another form of plastic, as is the cowboy holding the lassoo . . . my twinkle lights are some type of polymer vinyl stuff, and the lettering that is so clever above the mantle, also vinyl.  I would wager that there are polymer fibres in the carpeting as well as most of our furniture, and don't get me started on all the DVD and CD covers, not to mention the discs themselves . . . 

We live in a plastic world where corporate greed
has created this inexpensive plastic existance
for us, that has less to do with
helping us than it has to do
with maximizing their
profit margins.
...


It is literally everywhere in my house.  Everywhere.  Every pill bottle, every blister pack, the move from tins to plastic pouches of foods. Plastic instead of glass jars.  Its everywhere.  And its killing our planet.

As a consumer, there is not a lot I can do at the moment, until Government and manufacturers step up and make big changes.  All plastic needs to be recyclable.  I know in Canada, there is a deposit paid on every plastic or glass drinks container, which was charged to the consumer.  When I left to move over here in the year 2000 I believe it was 5 cents per article, which seems a lot, but if you collected them and then took them back to the recycle centre you got a portion of that refunded, added incentive to recycle them.  When I was married and raising a family, the kids had the duty of collecting our plastic and glass drinks containers, tetra briks, etc. and then they got the money which was refunded when it was taken to the recycling centre.  It was win/win as far as I was concerned.

Here are a few things we can do now however . . . a drop in the ocean, but something at least.

1. Stop buying our fresh produce wrapped in plastic.  Move to box schemes, or buy from the local farmer's market.  Use paper bags for those things that must be bagged. 

2. Stop using coffee and tea bags.  Yes, they are composed of a type of plastic.  Use bulk loose leaf/grounds instead.

3. Purchase a reusable cup that you take with you when you go to the local coffee shop/fastfood place to have your drinks in.  Its yours that you bring from home, you are responsible for it's care and use.

4. Ban the use of plastic straws.  When I was a child, straws were made from paper.

5.  Buy dry laundry soap in boxes rather than plastic bottles, or make your own laundry and cleaning supplies at home, using natural ingredients.  I already use a non-bio detergent for my wash, but it is liquid and in a plastic bottle. 👀 I need to move back to powdered, even if it takes up more space in my kitchen. Cardboard is recyclable. Also have you heard of soap nuts?  I just learned about them this morning.  


These little, dried-fruit shells contain a 100% natural soap. Apparently you just put a few into a sock, tie it shut, and throw it in with the rest of your dirty clothes. Magic.  I wonder where you can buy them?

6. Bamboo toothbrushes and glass jars of toothpaste. Actually you can make your own toothpaste. There are many reasons to make your own toothpaste; concerns about common ingredients like fluoride, potentially mouth-damaging detergents like sodium lauryl sulfate, and the pervasive use of plastic tube packaging are only a few.

This recipe neatly sidesteps all three issues and is simple and effective. Your teeth will never feel cleaner! It may take you a few brushes to get used to the slightly salty taste of the baking soda/bicarbonate of soda, but I now find that when I am visiting friends or family and use “regular” toothpaste, it tastes overwhelmingly sweet.

Ingredients: 
1/4 cup baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
Water
1-2 drops peppermint, spearmint, anise or cinnamon essential oils (optional)

Add the baking soda to a sterilized glass jar and slowly add water until you get a thin paste. Add one to two drops of essential oils if you prefer a flavoured toothpaste, and use as you normally would.

The truth is that while baking soda might feel more abrasive when you are brushing your teeth, it is actually less abrasive than regular toothpaste.  Fact. Plus, it does leave your mouth feeling fresh and clean and your teeth pearly smooth and fresh.

7. Stop using cotton ear buds.  Just stop.  They aren't good for your ears anyways.


8. Start using beeswax wraps instead of plastic wrap. I know they can be expensive to buy.  I do have several of these that I was sent to trial, and they are fabulous. It is also very easy to make your own and I found a great tutorial here on the art of doing stuff.  All you need is 100% cotton fabric, beeswax and an oven.  Or you can switch to waxed paper.  Its all we ever had when I was a child.  Waxed Paper.  Impossible to buy over here.

9.  Be vocal about your concerns and lobby the Government to make changes.  Our Government here in the UK has already committed themselves to eliminating plastic waste by the year 2042.

10. Use matches intead of disposable lighters.

11. Use a razor with replaceable blades instead of disposable razors.

12. Re-use, re-use, -re-use and recycle whenever possible.

These are only a few things that I can think of this morning that might go a long ways towards helping reduce our plastic foot print on our dear planet. I would also like to see an increase in the "Bulk Barn" type of shopping available to consumers, but only when they can make sure that it is safe from contamination.  Some of the dirty people I see walking around the grocery shops give me the willies and I would not want to eat anything they might have touched. And I am not a snob.

I think if we all start working together we can make real inroads into this global environmental crisis. I know I am going to be doing my little bit.  As they say, every little helps.


On the news front, yesterday a new Church Presidency was announced, following the passing of President Monson several weeks back.  From left to right, first counselor President Dallin H Oakes, President/Prophet Russell M Nelson, second counselor President Henry B Eyring.  I know them all to be good men, and I have been priviledged to have met in person two of them, and shaken their hands and spoken to them and been counseled by them. (President's Nelson and Oakes) Elevating Oaks into the First Presidency and retaining Eyring, returned the our beloved Dieter F. Uchtdorf, who was Monson’s second counselor, to his place in the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. I confess, I was a bit disappointed that happened, but I sustain our Prophet and his counselors and know that this is what our Heavenly Father wants for whatever reason.  I love all of our leaders and I know each of them to be very good men and I believe them to be called of God.

A thought to carry with you  . . .

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.
If my strength intimidates you,
I hope you realise that 
is a weakness of yours.
~unknown  •。★★ 。* 。 

Spiritual Enlightenment

 

BOOK OF MORMON CORNER - Today's Reading - Jacob 3:1-14
Question - What does it mean to be pure in heart? How can knowing the consequences of our choices help us?  

My thoughts - The heart is a symbol of the innermost part of us,  where our true feelings, desires and beliefs sit. So, to be pure in heart,  means that not only do we behave well, but our feelings, desires and beliefs are right and in line with God's also. I really love the first two verses of this chapter, where Jacob addresses himself to the innocents in this situation, those who haven’t been contemplating or committing sin, but who have been affected by the sins of others. His advice is basically to trust God unwaveringly,  and he will bless and comfort you. I especially like the phrase “lift up your heads”.  This in particular speaks to my heart at this time. I cannot control what others may think of me, or how they feel about me, but I do know that my Heavenly Father loves me and is in control of all things and that He has a plan for me, and I can take great comfort from that knowledge. It reminds of a talk of  President Monson's where he  advised someone “it is better to look up”.  

Tomorrow's Reading (Day 79) - Jacob 4:1-18 
Question - what have you learnt from the reading today? What is Jacob teaching us about prayer and the power of words?  

 

In the English Kitchen today, Dublin Coddle.  A traditional dish from Ireland which is perfect for these cold and wet winter days. This is quite simply delicious and sustaining. 

Have a wonderful Wednesday.  Don't forget along the way of your day!
  

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too! 

7 comments:

  1. Lots of food for thought:)Have a lovely day Marie~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got many good ideas from your post to get rid of plastic. It is a good start. Plastics is very dangerous for all in future. Now in our country they are trying to stop using of plastic. They are trying to lay roads made of plastic.
    Making home made soap is very hygienic. No chemicals added.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an outdoor rocking chair that is made from recycled plastic. Thankfully they are reusing plastic. I'd never heard of that beeswax wrap. Now I'll be on the lookout for it. There are many ways we can avoid using plastic though and I try to do just that. I have cloth shopping bags I reuse so I don't get plastic at the store. I like the looks of that recipe you've shown today so will now go and check that out. Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a lovely day too Monique! I have ordered beeswax so that I can make some more of the wraps. Will let you know how I get on! xoxo

    Glad I was helpful to you Jene! I am making more and more of my own cleaning solutions, etc. as you say no chemicals added! xoxo

    Thanks Pam! The beeswax wrap can be expensive to buy, which is why I am going to make my own. The recipe is delicious and I think you will like it! Happy Wednesday! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have beeswax..maybe I'll give it a try for cheese:) I have so many cloth etc bags now..we rarely ever use plastic but we do for garbage and I do use that wrap that clings tight on things..I use a lot of plastc containers..that I save ..:)there is that Costco salad I like that has nice portion size containers w/ lime green lids:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are indeed becoing buried in Plastic. This post should go worldwide so that everyone can rethink what they are doing to our environment. It certainly gave me more to think about. It is worrisome. I am going to try harder in my own shopping and etc.
    Thank you for all of your suggestions to try and do now. Also, I liked your toothpaste recipe and I'm going to make some. You gave so many good ideas.
    We really enjoyed watching our new 1st Presidency talk and interact with the press yesterday. I love President Nelson. I met him many years ago when he was a heart surgeon in LDS Hospital. I was taking an Intensive Care Course and worked in the Heart ICU. He was a wonderful physcian that showed great care and concern for his patients. I too love Elder Uchtdorf so we were surprised but we love Pres. Oaks and Pres. Eyring. We will see some marvelous things occur in the next while. We still have two new Apostles to look forward too.
    Always love your thoughts on The Book of Mormon.
    Sending lots of love and hugs your way for today's timely post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Beeswax will be arriving today Monique! I am really looking forward to making more of these wraps and yes, they will be great for cheese especially! Costco salads are the BEST! xoxo

    Thanks LeAnn! I do love all of our Church Leaders and I know that there is a reason we cannot understand at the moment for this change, but Todd and I were talking about it last night. We are living in an age and time when I think it will be a very good thing to have a Supreme Court Judge on the church Presidency. Having met both President Nelson and President Oaks, I know they are both very good men and of course I have loved President Eyring for a very long time. I remember when he was called into the Presidency I jumped for joy! Literally. We do have some marvelous things to look forward to! Love you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!