Tuesday 24 October 2017

The Simple Woman's Daybook ...


 

FOR TODAY, October 24, 2017

Outside my window ...
Its dark and cold, but it is dry. No rain. They say we are supposed to get an Indian Summer over the next couple of days. The morning chorus has begun.

I am thinking ...
I am thinking about making an appointment to see the Doctor today as I have been feeling very unwell lately and I think it might be my blood pressure acting up.  Its been high the last few times it has been checked and I've been having more headaches, sometimes even waking up with one. Like today.

In the kitchen ...

In the English Kitchen today a delicious Vegetarian Lasagne, with a courgette/aubergine/tomato sauce, a ricotta and spinach filling and a scrummy bechamel topping. TO. DIE. FOR. 

On my "To Cook" list ...
  

Creamy Tuscany Garlic Chicken from The Recipe Critic. It looks fabulous! 

Good to know ... 

 Twenty things to start doing to make your day better.  I couldn't find a source for this unfortunately.

I am creating ...

 Homemade at My Place. Crochet Christmas Tree Decoration. I love the bright colours! I think these would make a great Garland.


 Easy On Mittens, a free pattern for the whole family from Ombawka Design. There is also a video tutorial, which is very helpful! 


A Scripture Marking Tutorial for the BOM.  This looks really great. Found on Scripture Marking Study. I need to do this! 


 I think this little crochet snowman is adorable.  Its a PDF pattern from BVOE68 on Etsy.  She has a lot of cute patterns.

  
 From Sewrella.  With the option of a downloadable PDF pattern, ad free for a small fee.  There is also a video. 

Sorry for all the crochet this morning, but its what 
has been catching my eye this week! Christmas will be 
upon us before we know it!

I am reading ...

FAITHFUL, by Alice Hoffman  
Growing up on Long Island, Shelby Richmond is an ordinary girl until one night an extraordinary tragedy changes her fate. Her best friend’s future is destroyed in an accident, while Shelby walks away with the burden of guilt.

What happens when a life is turned inside out? When love is something so distant it may as well be a star in the sky? Faithful is the story of a survivor, filled with emotion, from dark suffering to true happiness, a moving portrait of a young woman finding her way in the modern world. A fan of Chinese food, dogs, bookstores, and men she should stay away from, Shelby has to fight her way back to her own future. In New York City she finds a circle of lost and found souls, including an angel who’s been watching over her ever since that fateful icy night.

Here is a character you will fall in love with, so believable and real and endearing, that she captures both the ache of loneliness and the joy of finding yourself at last. For anyone who’s ever been a hurt teenager, for every mother of a daughter who has lost her way, Faithful is a roadmap.
I have just started this book, so its early days, but so far so good. 
 
I am looking forward to ...
We are going to our friends Tony and Tina's for lunch on Thursday.  I love spending time with them.  They are great friends and good company!

Dreaming about ... 
 
Baltic Amber heart pendants . . .  
 
 
 
New shoes  . . .  these look really comfy . . .   
 
 
The Three Bears  . . .  seriously cute. 
 

Emma Bridgewater  . . . 

 

 Laura Ashley . . .  

Something to watch ...
  
Fifteen Streets  . . . 

Any of the Catherine Cookson Dramas.  I love her novels and the movie adaptations of them are just wonderful. My favourite one is The Dwelling Place.

A Quote for the Day ...

  (¯`v´¯)
  `*.¸.*´Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ¸. •´¸.•~♥♥♥~•. ~ ღϠ₡ღ¸. ✻´´¯`✻.¸¸.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ.
              ( ¸. ❀⁀ ⋱‿✿“` * .¸.* ✻ღϠ₡ ღ¸.✻´´¯`✻.¸¸.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ.. 
Spread love everywhere you go,
      Let noone ever come to you without
                 leaving happier.
                      ~Mother Teresa ღ¸.✻´´¯`✻.¸¸.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ..  

Makes me smile ...


 Those eyes  . . . 

Corners of my Kingdom ...


 Pontcysyllte Aqueduct near Llangollen, Denbighshire, on the Shropshire Union Canal. I have walked across it.  The views are stupendous. I think Denbighshire is my favourite Welsh county.


And that's my daybook for this week!


  ⋱ ⋮ ⋰
⋯ ◯ ⋯ Take time to enjoy the small *´¯`.¸¸.☆
  ⋰ ⋮ ⋱ blessings in life.*´¯`.¸¸.☆


✿¸.•*¨`*•..✿✿¸.•*¨`*•..✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.•
╬♥═╬╬═♥=╬╬═♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥═╬♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥
░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░
 

 

BOOK OF MORMON CORNER - Todays Reading: 1 Nephi 3: 9-31
 What I learned -  By this point, Lehi and his family had travelled from Jerusalem to the Red Sea. I read that the distance from Jerusalem to the Red Sea is about 180 miles, meaning that to return to Jerusalem meant about a two week trip back, on foot. There was no public transport. With that being the case, I must admit that, like Laman and Lemuel, I might have been tempted to say “this is a hard thing which I [Nephi] had required”. It also made me wonder though, why did the Lord not tell them to obtain the brass plates before they left Jerusalem? Maybe as v18 says, Lehi would have been killed. But why then allow them to travel so far? Also why not instruct them on how to obtain the plates? Overall I was reminded of Zions camp, which was a 1,000 mile journey from Kirtland, Ohio, to come to the aid of the saints in Missouri, taken by the male members in the early days of our church. When they got there the Lord not only protected and killed a mob that had come to attack the camp, but then gave Joseph Smith a revelation (D&C 105) saying that the men needed to become more obedient, giving, and united. They also needed to learn more about the things the Lord required of them, and they were not to fight against the Missouri mobs. There was a lot of murmuring on that trip as well. But as Nephi says, it is the Lord that requires us to make these journeys, as they will help us to grow and progress spiritually, and help us become more like Him. In v7. Nephi proclaimed that he knew that the Lord will always provide a way to accomplish the things that He has commanded. His testimony of this principle could not be, nd was not tested until he had travelled back to Jerusalem. It made me feel very grateful for my personal journey which has taught me so much,  and for the grace of Jesus Christ which helps me to make that journey, despite the many challenges and difficulties that arise along the way. 

Tomorrow (Day 5) - 1 Nephi 4: 1-19


Wherever you go and whatever you do, I hope there's a great day ahead of you! Don't forget!


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════


And I do too!!    





4 comments:

  1. Hi Marie!

    I'm so sorry you're not feeling well, I hope that you can get in quickly to find out what's wrong, it's never fun to be under the weather.

    Love your Daybook! Of course I love all things crochet, and that little snowman is sooo cute! I have had my eye on a few shoes from the same place that make those adorable shoes. I just think they are so whimsical and comfy looking. Laura Ashley furniture is so beautiful and cozy, I wish I could afford it...keep dreaming. I will have to watch fifteen Streets, I don't think I've ever read any of her books, I will put her on my to-read list.

    Love the necklace - Amber is my daughters name, and we just found out through a DNA test that my mother had ancestors who were Baltic...who knew! I am 66% British, 34% Scandinavian, 11% Irish, Scottish and Welsh. My mother doesn't have any British whatsoever, isn't that crazy!! Off track again...the necklace is gorgeous.

    Oh my, those eyes!! What a darling boy!

    I'm not sure I could be on that boat...on that bridge...looking down...not me! It's beautiful, but I would probably pass out! You definitely live in one of the most gorgeous parts of the world, I would love to visit England!

    Your thoughts on the BOM were so wonderful. I think that the pioneers were such brave and courageous souls! What a good reminder that all of our trials will help us grow and progress spiritually, so we can become more like, Christ. I need to murmur less and work harder at being obedient.
    Wonderful thoughts.

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you feel better soon Marie! It's not fun feeling crappy. I got a stupid cold that just won't let go!

    I love the crochet things esp the snowman. I wish I could find some time to make things, but I could always buy them from some where. Lol.

    Your grandson with those big beautiful blue eyes. Wow!

    You won't catch me way up high on a bridge or anything! Yrs ago I walked up the stairs half way to ride a rollercoaster. My legs felt wobbly and I started feeling sick, it took me less time to go down the stairs then up. Everyone got out of my way fast! My face was pale white. Lol.

    I just love to see the corners of your kingdom. So beautiful!

    Big hugs and prayers that you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the guides for the Book of Mormon says that God uses these situations that are hard to understand (like why not take the plates in the first place) as opportunities for growth for those involved. This is from that guidebook that you have (and I am using a sample from): "..the answer lies in the fact that mortal life is for our learning and development. Nephi and his brothers each had many opportunities for increased faith and testimony during the hardships they encountered. Some of them grew spiritually, and some did not." Then it says that another blessing from it has to do with strengthening Sariah's testimony (1 Nephi 5). "The Book of Mormon Made Easier, Part 1" I did not jump ahead to chapter 5.

    I guess that my religion (Protestant Christianity)would say the same thing, but probably just use the phrase "Because it's God's will," and maybe that God was testing them or giving them growth opportunities. Some people would say that they will be asking God all these kind of questions when they get to heaven. I'm hoping that I don't care about those kind of questions then, because I tend to get bogged down in them now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think its my blood pressure Barb and I need some change in medication. It has been high last couple of times I had it checked. I had my DNA done also. Isn't it wonderful? I found out I was 27% Irish (which included Scotland and Wales) something like 46% Western European (England, France,Germany)There was Iberian Peninsula, Russia and Finland, Eastern European Jewish, Native North American, Middle Eastern and, get this ... 2% Malaysian. I was so surprised at that last one! Loved your thoughts on the BOM once again. I think we can all learn so much from each other! Hugs and love. xoxo

    Thanks Jan! I am not great with heights either. I always feel like jumping when I get up really high. Going across that acquaduct was really scary! I hope you feel better soon too! Hugs and prayers right back. xoxo

    Yes, Laura, that is very correct! All of our trials are for our own good and growth and sometimes they are the results of having made poor choices and decisions due to the gift of our agency. Whenever you break a commandment there are consequences to our actions, for instance, and some of them are very far reaching timewise. ITs great to know however that there is always a way back though and that none of us can fall beneath the reach of Jesus Christ's light! I think that by the time I get to Heaven I will be so awestruck I won't care about any answers to anything! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!