Monday 23 October 2017

Small and Wonderful Things

 

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 
 
A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.   
 

Had an e-mail waiting for me this morning from my Editor.  The book is DONE!  Yikes!  Its being sent to the printers as I speak, with plans for it to go on sale by the 11th November, which is also Todd's and my 17th wedding anniversary.  Do you think that might be an omen?  I sure hope so.  Everything I have is crossed for good luck!  Oh boy  . . .  


We lost a friend yesterday to the same Cancer that Todd had treatments for earlier this year.  It broke my heart as our friend was a lot younger, only 65. He had only just retired when he was diagnosed and has left behind a loving family with a wife, children, grandchildren and a multitude of friends who loved him to bits.  As I lay in bed last night I could  not help but brush my husbands arm and be filled with gratitude that he was still with me.  My heart sorrows for the loss of our friend, but at the same time I know how very blessed Todd and I are that he is still here, for however long it might be.  


 I have enough of everything I need.  No more. No less.  I lack for nothing essential.  That is a blessing when so many in the world are in need.  In fact there are many things I have more than enough of,  and I have the capacity, ability, desire . . . to want to share that abundance with others. That's why I give a fast offering each month, why I donate to Children in Need for Red Nose Day, give to the Poppy Appeal each November and do what I can when it comes to helping others.  Sometimes it might be a meal for a young mother who has just had a baby, or an older person who is a shut in, or a phone call, letter or message to someone who pops into my head.  Other times it might be a shoulder to cry, lean on, etc.  I am loved. I am clothed. I am sheltered.  I am full. I am blessed. My cup runneth over.  Nobody really needs more than enough. What is our abundance for, if not to share with others who are in need?

  

"Give," said the little stream
Give, oh! give, give, oh! give,
"Give," said the little stream,
As it hurried down the hill.
I am small, I know, but wherever I go,
I am small, I know, but wherever I go,
The fields grow greener still. 

“Give,” said the little rain,
“Give, oh! give, give, oh! give.”
“Give,” said the little rain,
As it fell upon the flow’rs;
“I’ll raise their drooping heads again,”
As it fell upon the flow’rs. 
 
Give, then, as Jesus gives,
Give, oh! give, give, oh! give.
Give, then, as Jesus gives;
There is something all can give.
Do as the streams and blossoms do:
For God and others live.
 
~LDS Children's Songbook, 
words by Fanny S Crosby 

Although there are thousands of miles between us, I am so blessed to enjoy a great relationship with my sister.  Once upon a time, we used to talk every morning on the telephone, sometimes for several hours. It was great.  We would talk about everything under the sun.  Husbands, children, cooking, crafting, etc.  We don't talk every day anymore, but we still occasionally have the opportunity to chat online and I love our conversations.  They are never long enough, but I am still blessed by the time that we have to spend together.  I wish we could see each other in person.  That would be the best, but maybe one day.  We have not seen each other in person since the early 2000's. I think it must have been 2001. We were all at mom's for a while together, even my brother and his family. It was just a few months before 9/11.  It is hard to believe it was so long ago now.  The years have just flashed by. I love my sister and admire her a great deal. I cherish her probably more than she will ever know. She is a great example to me in a great many ways.   

  

The shelter of a mother's love for all of my life. I love my mom (and my dad) very much. My mother was the nurturer, my father the provider. Much of who I am and what I know about caring for others I learned at my mother's knee.  I did not begin to truly appreciate all that she gave us, until I became a mother myself.  I am sure that I took a lot for granted in my growing up years. I will always be grateful for her love and her sacrifice and the lessons she taught me.  She was a mother when she needed to be my mother and she's been my friend when I needed a friend.  I am so grateful for the easy relationship that we share.  I know that it is not the same way for lots of other people and so I cherish what we have.   



Brownie Brittle.  Oh my word.  I remember trying it one time when I was at Costco. It was soooo good.  Last time I went to Costco, I picked up a bag.  I gritted my teeth a tiny bit when I did because it is so expensive.  The bag feels soooo light.  I have been allowing myself to have one (okay two) pieces a week which is really hard because it is so darned  moreish.  I love the stuff.  I want to figure out how to make my own . . .  or do I?  This might be almost too dangerous to have around at my every whim . . . if you have never had it, you are missing out on one of the world's great wonders.  I just know that in heaven there is going to be brownie brittle.


For all the wind and the rain and the bad storms that have been battering the UK over these past few weeks, we in Chester, have gotten off very lightly having had only a slight battering.  September and October are always windy, rainy months it seems.  
  

 

The blessing of having a humble and a teachable heart. Not everyone does.  Being humble and teachable has blessed my life in innumerable ways. 



I think I just have the best readers in the whole world wide web.  I love you all so very much and appreciate that you take the time to come here each day and read my thoughts and whimsies. I wish I could give each of you a million dollars, but I can't, but just know that do appreciate that you take the time to read and sometimes comment.  I try to answer each comment, and I can do that because there aren't an overwhelming amount of them.  Whew!  On my FB foodie page, I get more and it takes me a good hour every morning to read and respond to each of those.  I just want to say thank you for reading.  Thank you for supporting me.  Thanks for all the love.  I think you are the best!

And those are my small and wonderfuls for today!

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
 *.˛.°  Do something today that
your future self will thank you for.
~Unknown  .° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •






Book of Mormon Corner: Today's Reading  1 Nephi 2:16 - 3:8

What I learned - Today's reading got me thinking about the growth that can come from just having a DESIRE and taking that desire to God in sincere prayer. Reading verse 18, I felt really grateful that we can cry unto the lord for others. Especially those we love who don't 'believe' and aren't praying themselves. If Nephi had not prayed to know the truth about what his father was saying, I don't think he would have had the faith or trust to go and retrieve the plates from Laban. It's because of this faith that he was able to stand up to his older brothers and teach them the ways of the Lord, even though they did not want to receive the same knowledge.

I think our motives and desires have a lot to do with whether we find answers to questions about the gospel that might trouble us. I think it is interesting that Nephi’s answer came not in the form of new information or evidence, but in the form of a softened heart that allowed him to accept what was already before him. I’m sure this wouldn't have happened if his desires weren’t right. I also think it’s significant that the Lord commends Nephi for seeking him “diligently, with lowliness of heart”, which implies that he hadn’t waited for a critical moment to start to develop a relationship with God, but that it had been something he had been working on for a some time before.

Tomorrow (Day 4) - 1 Nephi 3: 9-31


 


Today in The English Kitchen, an old favourite updated.  BBQ Porcupine Meatballs.  (No porcupines have been harmed, I promised!)  These are fabulous!

Have a great week.  I hope that for you it is filled to overflowing with a multitude of small and wonderful things.  Don't forget!

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 


And I do too!




12 comments:

  1. Yippeee on the book!
    And a beautiful post.
    I wanted to tell you in your English Kitchen that your pics are just getting better and better! Kudos...
    I love blogging too ..still:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Monique! It’s all timing I think. If I wait too late I. The day or if it is cloudy out and rainy, then I can’t seem to get a good photo of anything! But sometimes I get lucky! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there such thing as a Study Book of Mormon? I already have a bunch of questions just from reading 1 Nephi 3:3! Like: What is the record of the Jews? (The old Testament?) Why should Levi have it and not Laban? Why does Laban have it in the first place? What does "the geneology of my forefathers" mean? (His actual ancestors or the Jews in general?)

    I use a study Bible that has notes about these kind of things and I rely on them because I am very detail oriented. I suppose that a Mormon hearing teachings on this would gain information about this all from his church?

    Another question: The Book of Mormon reads with language sounding like the King James Bible. Is that the only version that you use? Is there not an "updated language" version?

    I hope that these questions are okay. I have no experience with this book before now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found a book (Kindle edition) called: "The Book of Mormon Made Easier, Part 1." I have downloaded the sample to try for a few days. It already answered some of my questions from 1 Nephi 3:3 so we'll see how useful it is and I'll consider purchasing it. The kindle edition is half the price of the paperback.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura, we have both volumes and they are wonderful! They truly are! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Marie, you must think I am terrible for not having been in to reply every day as usual....I have had an awful cold since we got back from our holiday..indeed we are both still coughing like as if fit to burst !!....then I coudnt get your blog address to take me to you....I now have to go into message to click on it when I want to find you. The I pad is not letting me do various things like today I can't see any of your pictures etc....anyway I have been able to catch up tonight I'm glad that you seem to be a bit better. What wonderful news that is about your book...I hope the publishers are going to give it a proper launch...when my sisters book was launched we all went up to London near Covent Garden I will never forget that wonderful day and the excitement..Who is the publisher Marie ? Can we order it on Amazon yet ?....now I must soon go to bed I am just so so tired......night night. God Bless. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is your book available in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Marie~

    I'm so excited about your book, I can't wait to buy it!! Congratulations, dear friend!

    Great post, Marie. It's so important to be content with what we have...some of the wealthiest people I know, are the poorest. And, some of the poorest people I know, are the wealthiest. It's all about perspective...I loved all of your thoughts!

    The Book of Mormon is an amazing book! For your reader who wanted a study guild. I use, David J. Ridges, The Book of Mormon made easier. It's very good, and you can get it on Kindle.

    What I learned by reading the chapters today...Nephi and Sam remind me of, Joseph and Hyrum. Sam loved his older brother and accepted that he was a prophet, He believed him and loved him, Just like, Joseph and Hyrum. They truly had the gift of the Spirit...to believe and know the truth when they hear it.

    These chapters also taught me that we cannot force anyone to salvation against his or her will...I have learned this lesson in my own life, but the Book of Mormon helped me understand what I can do to save myself, and that I need to pray that others will find their way.

    What a hard lesson Nephi had to learn in Chapter 3! We sometimes believe that because the Lord told us to do something that it should work out, but the Lord sent us here to be "schooled", to learn and grow from our own experiences. Nephi grew tremendously from his experiences in retrieving the brass plates, many lessons for him in these verses! Sariah also learned a few valuable lessons about - trust and faith - she never complained again. And of course, one of my favorite scriptures in all of the, Book of Mormon, 1 Nephi 3:7 - I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded...Nephi lived his life by that scripture. It's all about keeping the commandments, and sometimes, it's hard, but I have faith the the Lord knows what's best for all of us. We just need to, go and do!

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sybil, I am so sorry you have come back from your lovely cruise with a bad cold! I will pray that you and Mary are feeling a LOT better more sooner than later. I hate colds. :-( No talk of a launch yet. Its a very small publisher so I don't know how they do things. Love and hugs and get well wishes! xoxo

    Yes Angharad, it will be available everywhere via Amazon as far as I know! xoxo

    Thanks Barb! I loved your thoughts on the passages from the BOM for today. I really appreciate your perspective on things. I think between us all we can come away with a better understanding of things. We have those Book of Mormon made Easier books by David J Ridges and they are fabulous! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on the publishing of your book. There are no coincidence so think is a special blessings to you both. What a celebration.
    I feel so sad about the loss of your friend. . I too thank Heavenly Father every day for one more day with my dearest love.
    I love that Primary song and haven't thought about it for a very long time. It is a sweet one.
    I loved your thoughts on your sister and mother. I feel sad that you can't be with them. That is a very long time since you saw your Sister.
    I didn't have sister and didn't have one. My parents and both my older brothers are gone. Treasure every conversation with the two of htem. I would love to hear their voices again. So graterful that I know taht I will see thema gain someday.
    Ok, I guess I will need to look for the Brownie Brittle. For me that might not be a good idea. Yup! I have no self control when it comes to Chocolate.
    You really are a blessing in the lives of those who follow you. I always enjoy reading your posts. Have an extra special week dear friend. Sending love and hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh happy days Marie! Finally on Nov 11th ur book will be out in the stores!
    Coincidence, I think not! I believe things happen for a reason!
    Big hugs and love! Oh, I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Laura, I am sorry for not answering your intitial questions. Somehow I missed them. We use the King James Version of the bible only because when the Church was organized in 1830, the King James Version (KJV), also known as the Authorized Version, was the translation predominantly used in the English-speaking world. Latter-day Saints relied on it in their meetings, and the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price were written in a style of language similar to that in the KJV. There is also a statement put out by the leaders of our church which you can read here: https://www.lds.org/ensign/1992/08/news-of-the-church/first-presidency-statement-on-the-king-james-version-of-the-bible?lang=eng

    I appreciate all your questions although I may not always know all the answers! The book(s) by David J ridges is a phenomenal resource to be used hand in hand and explains everything in great detail. We have found it to be incredibly useful in our home! It makes everything crystal clear. xoxo

    Thanks LeAnn! You need to stay away from the Brownie Brittle lol. Be forewarned! It is mighty dangerous stuff! Love and hugs!xoxo

    Thanks Jan. I just wish I was feeling better. I have not been feeling very well at all. I am not sure why. My get up and go has got up and gone. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!