Saturday 29 December 2012

Poetry Saturday . . . Symbols

Source: dana-mad.ru via Tammy on Pinterest


I watched a rosebud very long
Brought on by dew and sun and shower,
Waiting to see the perfect flower;
Then, when I thought it should be strong,
It opened at the matin hour
And fell at evensong.




I watched a nest from day to day.
A green nest full of pleasant shade,
Wherein three speckled eggs were laid;
But when they should have hatched in May,
The two old birds had grown afraid
Or tired and flew away.




Then in my wrath, I broke the bough
That I had tended so with care,
Hoping its scent should fill the air;
I crushed the eggs, not heeding how
Their ancient promise had been fair;
I would have vengeance now.




But the dead branch spoke from the sod,
And the eggs answered me again;
Because we failed dost thou complain?
Is thy wrath just?  And what if God,
Who waiteth for thy fruits in vain,
Should also take the rod?
~Christina Rossetti, Everyman's Poetry



I think this poem is about our impatience and the capacity we have to take matters into our own hands because we tire of waiting for others to do the right thing  Or we judge others harshly, thinking to ourselves . . . they should have done this . . . or they should have done that.  But who are we to judge?  To take matters into our own hands??  Should we not leave all of that to a much higher power than ourselves?  There is a scripture which tells us that the same stick which we used to measure others will be used to measure us.

I often speak these words to myself . . . there, but for the Grace of God . . . go I.  I am not perfect, not by a long stretch.  I have my own weaknesses and failings that I will have to account for at the end of the day . . . never mind adding to them by being judgmental and harsh with my fellow man.  Oh, I do fail at times . . . but am quickly brought up short when I realize what I am doing and then repent.  Oh, thank God for repentance and His perfect love for us . . . for forgiveness.




I love to read poetry and ponder on it's meanings.   I don't know if the things I get from it are what the writer intended . . . I only know how the words make me feel.  Oh to be blessed with such a talent to move hearts and minds . . . and to give pause to thought with only a few words.  Simply amazing.

Patience is not passive resignation, nor is it failing to act because of our fears. Patience means active waiting and enduring. It means staying with something and doing all that we can - working, hoping, and exercising faith; bearing hardship with fortitude, even when the desires of our hearts are delayed. patience is not simply enduring; it is enduring well!
~Dieter F Uchtdorf

 

In The English Kitchen today . . . A Simple Ice Cream Cake.

Have a fab Saturday!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!