Saturday 15 December 2012

Poetry Saturday . . . Five Little Chickens




Said the first little chicken,
 With a queer little squirm,
"Oh, I wish I could find
A fat little worm!"


Said the next little chicken,
With an odd little shrug,
"Oh, I wish I could find
A fat little bug!"



Said the third little chicken,
With a sharp little squeal,
"Oh, I wish I could find
Some nice yellow meal!"


Said the fourth little chicken,
With a small sigh of grief,
"Oh I wish I could find
A green little leaf!"


Said the fifth little chicken,
With a faint little moan,
"Oh, I wish I could find
A wee gravel-stone!"


"Now, see here," said the mother,
From the green garden-patch,
"If you want any breakfast,
You must come and scratch."
 ~Unknown

Source: google.com via Libby on Pinterest


I have had this book for a long time.  It is called "The Book of Virtues," by William J Bennett.  I got it when my children were growing up.  I thought it would be a beautiful moral treasury for them.  I have another one done by the same author called "The Moral Compass."  This poem came under the heading of "work."  I have always loved these books.  I don't know that my children did, but it was there for them to read and be read to from nonetheless . . . you can learn a lot from a book, I think.

I think they are quite valuable in many ways, more so than computers.  Oh . . . a computer can help you to find something specific . . . to be sure.  But it has no smell . . . and you don't get the satisfaction that one gets from rifling through pages and feeling them beneath your fingertips.  Oh . . . these new fangled readers do try to mimic turning pages . . . but it's not quite the same, or at least I don't think so at any rate!

This comes from a person who has had a life long love affair with the written word and with books.  I shall never stop loving words written down to delight, inform and amuse.




Speaking of hens . . . we had a fabulous time last evening at our Relief Society Christmas Party.  There was plenty of food to enjoy.  We did some cookie decorating which was loads of fun (and tasty too!) and we got to do a few crafts, which were cute.  We also played some really fun games and just enjoy each others company.  It was a great evening all round, and we even saw a few sisters which never come out, so that was very good!  (I think they enjoyed themselves too!  Double good!!)  Many thanks to everyone for coming, for the beautiful decorations and fun activities and most of all for the wonderful company!

I overslept this morning and was not up until quarter to eight.  Very late for me who is always up around 5:30!!  Mind, I was late getting to sleep last night so that's probably why.  I think Todd is going into town today.  I just can't face a Saturday shopping crowd this close to Christmas, and have plenty to do here at home so I will give it a miss.  Tonight we are going to a concert at the Town Hall with our friends Peter and Audrey, which will be nice.

Wherever you are and whatever you get up to today . . . be happy.  Find Joy in the moment.  This day will never come again.

“Be of good cheer. The future is as bright as your faith.” 
~Thomas S Monson 

 

Baking in The English Kitchen today . . . White Chocolate Drizzled Gingerbread Baked Donuts!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!