Saturday 22 December 2012

Poetry Saturday . . . Strange and Wonderful It Was





Strange and wonderful it was
that God the Lord of all . ..
Should show Himself unto the world
as something weak and small,
Choosing for this miracle,
a Jewess undefiled . . .
to be the wise and gentle
Mother of the Holy Child.


Cradled in a stable!
The Incarnate Diety,
Love itself, the Word made flesh,
yet none was there to see,
Except a few poor shepherds,
and the Magi from afar,
Bringing gifts and guided
by the glory of a star.




Strange and wonderful Indeed!
Too marvelous for me.
I could not hope to understand
so great a mystery . . .
Such a truth I cannot fathom,
or such love conceive . . .
but I can kneel on Christmas morning
saying.  I BELIEVE.
~Patience Strong 



Bah . . . I have a cold.  I thought I might be getting one, yesterday morning.  I must have sneezed about 50 times before I could even get out of bed.  That usually precludes a cold.  I want to get it over with before I go to Canada as I don't want to expose my mom to it.   That is one thing she doesn't need to get on top of everything else!

We had a perfectly lovely time last night at our friends.  It was such a nice distraction.  There was about 20 of us from our Ward and it was lovely to be able to fellow-ship with each other outside of the chapel.  We don't do it near often enough!  There was lots of good food (Of course.  The people in our church know how to do good food!) in a beautiful atmosphere and fabulous company.   We sang carols and our friend Peter Lee gave a few poetry readings from Pam Ayers (A comedian Poetress) and we just enjoyed each others company.   It was . . . just plain NICE.




Do you like my new Christmas play list?  I thought it would be nice to have a change here over the holidays.  I love Christmas music.  I always have done.  It always fills my heart with joy and I hope it fills your heart with joy too!

Last night was what is called "Mad Friday" here in Chester.  The biggest night of the year for all the pubs and bars, the last Friday before Christmas.  Any excuse for getting drunk and silly.  I hope the revelers didn't create too much chaos!  It's bucketing down rain this morning.  I had thought I might pop into the city to get a block of Stilton . . . but I don't know if I will.  Perhaps I will wait til Monday now.  I don't fancy getting wet and jostled about in the maddening crowd for a block of cheese.

A thought for today . . .

"Faith precedes the miracle. It has ever been so and shall ever be. It was not raining when Noah was commanded to build an ark. There was no visible ram in the thicket when Abraham prepared to sacrifice his son Isaac. Two heavenly personages were not yet seen when Joseph knelt and prayed. First came the test of faith–and then the miracle. Remember that faith and doubt cannot exist in the same mind at the same time, for one will dispel the other. Cast out doubt. Cultivate faith."  
~Thomas S Monson



Baking in The English Kitchen today . . . a long held family Christmas Traditional bake . . . Mom's Christmas Feather Squares!  Delicious!!

Happy Saturday!!  3 more sleeps.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!