Monday 5 September 2011

Silver and Gold . . .





Although we treasure newer friends,


We cannot forget the old.

The new ones are like silver,

The old ones purest gold.

~author unknown



When I was in High School I had a best friend named Linda Wilson. She lived directly across the back yard from me and we were inseparable. We were in the same classes at school, and when we were in school, we were hanging out together either at her house, or at mine, or at the mall or Rec Centre, swimming pools, gym, etc. We were together constantly except for when we were sleeping.



We told each other our secret wishes and desires . . . sharing special thoughts and dreams with each other that we never shared with anyone else. We spent many hours up in her bedroom in her parent's house listening to the latest 45 rpm records. She had an extensive collection and a cute little record holder box to put them in. I could only dream about such things. Every Friday night we would sit up there and listen to the music and talk about boys we had crushes on, the things that had happened at school during the previous week, etc. We used to practice slow dancing with her bathrobe which was hung on a hanger on a hook on her closet door . . . and kissing on the backs of our hands . . . just so we could get it right when it ever actually happened!







One time we pooled our monies together to buy a book from the shop entitled . . . "How To Get A Teenage Boy, and What To Do With Him When You Get Him." We were sure that the secret to finding a boyfriend lay within it's pages! We wanted to have all the latest information. Oh tha laughs and special times we shared. I have never been as close to anyone since then . . . as we were with each other during those years. We had other friends of course . . . but we were "Bestie Mates." We laughed together . . . we cried together . . . and everything in between . . . We sat together on the bus. We spent breaktimes at school together. We passed notes back and forth during class, speculated, dreamt, planned, connived . . . we were inseparable during those highschool years.



We somehow lost touch with each other in the late 1970's. I moved out West and got married . . . had a family . . . I'm assuming she got married as well. Life got busy . . . but I never forgot my Bestie Mate. I tried to find her off and on throughout the years, but to no avail. I came close one time, when a girl who had been one of my sister's friends at school and I were in a Diet Club together, and I found out that she actually was still in touch with Linda and had her telephone number etc., but for some reason she wouldn't give it to me. I knew Linda was in Halifax, but Halifax is a very big place and I didn't know her married name. I remember feeling very frustrated with this girl and a little bit angry . . . but life went on just the same, as it does.







As you know I've been participating on a High School Group on Facebook this past week or so, and it's been a lot of fun. I found out yesterday that Linda passed away from cancer sometime during this past year . . . broken hearted doesn't begin to describe how I felt when I found this out. I had been so hoping that finally we would be back in touch with each other. I had so many things I wanted to say to her, and now I'll never be able to. The High School Group has lost some of it's flavour for me now . . . I feel devastated . . . even now I sit here with tears running down my face, thinking about my dear friend, and all the years that have passed. It breaks my heart that she left this earth and I didn't even know. It is a whole jumble of feelings that I can't put a name to, or even begin to describe in words. I don't even have a photograph of us together . . . just a heart filled with love and special memories. I am grateful for those . . .







*Paprika, Honey and Lime Glazed Chicken *

Serves 4

Printable Recipe



You could use lemon with this recipe instead of limes if you wished, but I love that extra tang and bite that comes from the limes. “You’ve come up with another winner.” were Todd’s words as he tucked in, and I do believe I have. I served this with a lime and coriander basmati pilaf, but any steamed rice would go well with it.



8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs

2 TBS plain flour

2 tsp sweet paprika

Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

2 TBS olive oil

2 tsp finely grated fresh ginger

2 fat clove of garlic, peeled and crushed

2 heaping TBS of honey

The grated zest of one lime

The juice of one lime

¼ cup chicken stock



Take a large skillet and heat it over medium heat on top of the stove. Add the olive oil and heat until it shimmers.



Mix together the flour and paprika. Dust the chicken thighs with salt and pepper and then with the flour mixture, shaking off the excess. Place in the heated skillet, bottom side down first, and brown lightly for about 4 to 5 minutes. Turn over so that the right side is down, and then pop another skillet on top. Turn the heat down to medium low and place a few heavy tins on top. This will help to give some lovely crispy bits. Cook, in this manner for about 6 to 8 minutes.



Mix the ginger, garlic, honey, lime juice and chicken stock together in a small bowl.



Remove the weighted skillet and raise the heat a little bit. Pour the ginger mixture over top and let it bubble away, turning the chicken pieces frequently, until the pan juices are greatly reduced and the chicken is coated with a lovely thick glaze. Remove from the heat and sprinkle with the grated lime zest. Serve hot with a bit of the pan glaze spooned over each piece.







In The English Kitchen today a delicious Sausage and Squash Mash.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!