Tuesday 19 April 2011

The Simple Woman's Day book



FOR TODAY, April 19th, 2011...

Outside My Window...

It is perfectly light outside . . . the birds are gaily chattering and singing away. I think it's supposed to be fine today. In fact they are calling for a great week, weatherwise and a heat wave this weekend! Tis quite unsual to have a heat wave on a Bank Holiday weekend! It usually rains, so this will be a real treat! Not that we are going anywhere. We've always made it a point not to go anywhere on Bank Holidays. The traffic is just too horrible and we don't want to end up sitting in the car for hours and hours in a traffic jam.

I am thinking...
The importance of this week in the Christian Calendar, and the meaning of it all . . . it has always been amazing to me that all of those people who welcomed Christ into Jerusalem with songs of joy and praises, who were witnesses to His many teachings, miracles and healings, could turn on him so violently a week later and cry out for his blood. I know that it had to happen, and I am more than grateful for His redeeming sacrifice, but it boggles my mind!

I am thankful for...
I am thankful for the atonement of Christ and know that there will never be enough that I can do to repay Him for what He did for all mankind. At best, I can try hard to follow His example and to be a better person than I am . . . to show, by my example to others, the power of His grace and redeeming love. Oh, it is a miracle, this knowledge I have, and life changing.

I am grateful too, that Lura continues to improve. It could so easily have been the other way. You can keep up with any updates on her condition or leave a message for her here. Your prayers for her are still needed and so very appreciated!

From the kitchen...
Not a lot really at the moment. I am going to be going Visit Teaching tomorrow and am going to bake some Easter Cookies for the children of one of the Sisters I visit and then some muffins for the other two sisters. I just love Visit Teaching, and always have done. I have come to experience through the years the great value of it in my life, through friendships made and nurtured, both with the sister's I have visited and supported, and who have come to my home to visit and support me. They have been a great source of comfort and love to me throughout my years in the church, and my life has been greatly blessed by both having been visited and by having visited!

I am wearing...
Pink jim jams! No layering now. The temperatures are a lot warmer these days. We only very rarely have had to have any heat on at all, which is nice!!

I am creating...
I am busy finishing off my second set of stamps now. If you would like to see the ones that are already available you can check them out here. I have also been taking an online course in doodling, given by Stephanie Fizer, which has been a lot of fun. I've had to stretch my talents. Here is a sample of a doodle I did recently for the course.




I am going...
I don't have any plans this week to go anywhere. That makes a change! Because of Friday being Good Friday there is no Step By Step Program this week and we haven't got any appointments at all. So, other than the Visit Teaching, I am staying put! It's a good thing too as I have a lot of work to get done!

I am reading...




A Discovery of Witches, by Deborah Harkness

I am still reading this book and it's really good! It is a very thick book so I will be reading it for awhile to come!

"It beings with absence and desire. It begins with blood and fear. It beings with a discovery of witches."

When historian Diana Bishop opens a bewitched alchemical manuscript in Oxford’s Bodleian Library it represents an unwelcome intrusion of magic into her carefully ordinary life. Though descended from a long line of witches, she is determined to remain untouched by her family’s legacy. She banishes the manuscript to the stacks, but Diana finds it impossible to hold the world of magic at bay any longer.

For witches are not the only otherworldly creatures living alongside humans. There are also creative, destructive daemons and long-lived vampires who become interested in the witch’s discovery. They believe that the manuscript contains important clues about the past and the future, and want to know how Diana Bishop has been able to get her hands on the elusive volume.

Chief among the creatures who gather around Diana is vampire Matthew Clairmont, a geneticist with a passion for Darwin. Together, Diana and Matthew embark on a journey to understand the manuscript’s secrets. But the relationship that develops between the ages-old vampire and the spellbound witch threatens to unravel the fragile peace that has long existed between creatures and humans . . . and will certainly transform Diana’s world as well.

I am hoping...
That each of you are having a great week. That each of you are finding joy in your lives and peace. That each of you feel loved and needed. I have always felt that all anyone really needs really . . . is to feel loved, needed and valued. If you feel all of those things, then life is very sweet.

I am hearing...
Early morning sounds . . . the house cracking and snapping as it comes alive. The birds are chirping loudly in the back garden. The tip tapping of the computer keys, Mitzie gently snuffling here next to me on the sofa. Early morning traffic. I love the early morning. It is my favourite time of the day.


Around the house...
Not a lot. I am still working on my craft room/library. I've put it on hold until I finish up these last few designs and then will really crack on with it.

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week...
Not a lot really, other than what I have just spoken about. Things are quiet at the moment.



Here is picture thought I am sharing...




This is what's blooming in the neighbourhood at the moment! Can't you just smell them!!! Heavenly Bliss! Takes me back to when I was just a young bride. We were renting a small two room apartment on the bottom floor of an old house in a small university town in Nova Scotia. The drive was edged completely in a lilac hedge and it was just beautiful in the spring. I can remember picking armloads to bring into the apartment and how wonderful they smelled!

And just as a closing thought for today . . .

"Open your heart and listen to what it is telling you. Follow your dreams, because only a man who is unashamed of himself can manifest the glory of God"
~paulo coelho

I have always been a dreamer and I am grateful for this time in my life where I am able to follow them. I am also grateful for an open heart and ears to listen to the song that it sings.

And there you have it . . . my day book for this week. Don't forget to hop on over to the Simple Woman to check out the other day book entries! (Or better yet, do a simple day book entry yourself! It's not that hard and I am betting you would enjoy it!


Here's a recipe for my most favourite of all bars!! I just love lemon anything and these are wonderful! You can also add a layer of strawberry jam atop the crust before pouring on the lemon filling. That is even scrummier. Just heat about 1/2 cup of strawberry jam and spread it over the crust after the initial baking time and then pour the filling over top! Oh so yummy!!!




*Tangy Lemon Bars*
makes 36
Printable Recipe

One of our very favourite bars. Buttery crust topped with a tangy lemon filling and baked. The finished bars are glazed with a delicious vanilla drizzle icing. Bet you can't eat just one!

For the crust:
2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup butter

For the filling:
2 cups of sugar
1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice
4 large free range eggs
2 tsp finely grated fresh lemon zest
pinch of salt
1/4 cup of plain flour
1 tsp baking powder

For the glaze:
1 cup of icing sugar, sifted
1 TBS butter, softened
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 to 2 TBS fresh lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. You will need an ungreased 13 by 9 inch baking dish.

Combine all the crust ingredients in a large bowl. Beat together using an electric whisk, and stopping to scrape the bowl often, until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Press this mixture into the bottom of the baking dish. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, or until the edges are very lightly browned.

While the crust is baking, beat the sugar, lemon juice, eggs, salt and lemon zest for the filling together in a bowl until well mixed. Reduce the speed to low and add the 1/4 cup of flour and baking powder, again beating until well mixed. Pour this filling over the hot partially baked crust. Bang it back into the oven and continue to bake for a further 23 to 25 minutes, until the top is golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool completely.

Beat together the icing sugar, 1 TBS of butter and vanilla in a small bowl. Beating at low spead, gradually add enough lemon juice to make a drizzle consistency. Drizzle this glaze over the cooled bars. Cut into bars to serve and store in an airtight container.



In The English Kitchen today, some delicious Colcannon Haddock Fish Cakes!



9 comments:

  1. At last I have been trying to comment for ages this morning !!
    I so agree Marie about this Holy week in the Christian Calander...It is so full of Joy, Horror, and then comes the everlasting LOVE...We are so very blessed to be able to recieve the grace and Love of our savior...and I pray that everyone could fnd it and know the Joy...and peace that it brings.
    what lovely weather we are having..like you we won;t be going anywhere, but when the weather is like this I don;t really wnat to move for...my tiny wee deck is the place for Mary and me...watching the world go by and enjoying listning the calls of the childern on the rec...Yesterday quite a few families were having a picnic over there, it was lovely to see,
    Love Sybil xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your week of less going on, Marie! Sounds very good! Our has been rather extra busy so far, and it's only Tuesday...LOL! Looking forward to Thursday, as that's when the Easter break begins here. LOVE your doodle! Do you have a link to the e-course you took for this? Would love to see what it's about. DELICIOUS lemon bars today...YUM! I'm getting in some groceries today for Easter weekend, I may have to pick up some extra lemons. ;o) Happy Day, dear friend--LOVE YOU LOTS!! ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely to be having such nice weather. Here we are still quite chilly. We are below normal for this time of year but are seeing signs of Spring none the less. My lilac bush now has tiny leaves on it but no blooms yet. I hope your Tuesday is a terrific one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats the same lemon bar recipe as mine and spring always make me think of them,,, yum yum,,lovely marie,,love the new stamps as well,,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Lemon bars - they are so delicious and such a happy colour. I adore anything with lemon in it, so I'll be making them for sure this week to match the sunshine outside.

    I hope you have a wonderful week - it sounds very fulfilling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Easter in it's true sense is all but forgotten by todays selfixh society. Christianity is being sidlined and I find it so sad. I remeber as a child and as a young adult, the solemnity of Good Friday. The fasting and abstinence.
    Then the joyfulness of Easter Sunday and the miracle of the Risen Christ.

    Now it is just another holiday for gorging on chocolate and doing DIY.

    It is a sad state of affairs and I for one mourn the loss of the wonder and the witness of Jesus Christ's sacrifice and Resurrection.

    A Happy and Blessed Easter to you and Todd my dear friend.

    Sheilagh

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello dear Marie,
    My computer did not want to let me leave you a comment today. This is my 4th try.

    Thank you for your prayers and your love. Thankyou for telling your blog friends to stop by my blog and write me. My blog is really helping me not feel so closed in. I love the connection with the outside world.

    Congrats on your new calling. You will do great.
    Much love, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  8. i've been thinking a lot about the atonement too. we did an fhe about it tonight(weren't able to last night) and i bawled like a baby while i bore my testimony to my children and husband! i just can't imagine the pain the Savior suffered for us so that we might live again. . i'm so so grateful.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!