Monday 11 April 2011

Today in all things . . .




It seems that it is easy to be thankful when everything is going well in our lives . . . when our future is rising, our will is king and when all the world seems like your estate.

Thanks comes easily at those times . . . but . . .what about the other times? What about those thanks that should come at lesser times, and about which we express ourselves less fluently . . .



Today, let us remember to give thanks not only for any sunlight which may rest upon our faces, but also for the darker hours which help to teach us fortitude and give us strength.

Today, let us be thankful with greatful hearts not only for our successes . . . but also for our failures which help to teach us humility.



Today, let us express gratitude for all the petty inner conflicts which once resolved help to bring us a new serenity, and for those small distressing fears which have their ways of building up such hope.

Today, let us appreciate all those poignant sights that teach us thoughtfulness . . . and the wrongs that teach us to be fair . . . and for each violated trust which leaves loyalty as it's lesson.



And, too . . . let us not forget to whisper thanks for each of these . . .

the contempt that teaches pity,
the tear that teaches joy,
the pain that teaches mercy,
the lonliness that teaches love,
the heartache that teaches compassion,
and the failings that help to teach us understanding . . .

Today, let us reflect upon these things that we owe and let our thanks come easily . . . in all circumstances, and in all places and in all things.

Just my thoughts on this early Monday morning . . .

Here is a healthy breakfast cereal mixture that I discovered. When I was a child and it was getting near to payday, my mother would mix all the leftovers in the boxes of cereal in the cupboard together and we'd have to eat that mixture until she was able to buy new stuff. I hated that . . . they didn't always go together very well. I can understand and appreciate why she did it . . . but blah . . . I promise you that this mixture is much more interesting, and will fill you up and give you plenty of energy to face whatever the day ahead holds!



*Healthy Breakfast Cereal Blend*
Makes about 36 (3/4 cup) servings
Printable Recipe

A healthy blend of cereals that will help to give you plenty of energy to begin your day and make you feel fuller longer! Simply top with some semi skimmed milk, or yoghurt aqnd you're set to go. Makes a lot but can be frozen for up to 3 months.

8 cups of whole bran cereal
6 cups of low fat granola
4 cups of wheat and barley nugget cereal
(such as Grape Nuts)
7 cups of seven grain and sesame medley cereal
(such as kashi medley cereal)
2 cups of dried cranberries or raisins
(You can use a mixture of any dried fruit if you wish, chopped dried apricots, dates, cherries, etc.)

Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl, mixing together well. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks, or place in zip lock freezer bags and freeze for up to 3 months. Serve as you would any breakfast cereal.



Over in The English Kitchen this morning, some delicious Date, Pistachio & Honey Slices!


8 comments:

  1. Good Morning Marie,I always give thanks for everything which comes my way.(Good or Bad).Breakfast looks very tasty this morning.I suppose though I am a lazy so and so and just get out the container of Muesli (very similar),which I could eat until it comes out of my ears.LOL!!Love bran flakes too with a banana chopped up in it Heeeeee.Praying you have a lovely pain free day.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is so much to bethankful for Marie and it is good to be reminded soemtimes...
    I will try even to be thankful that this morning the sun has not appeared ....yet !...I won't have to squint my eyes !!!!
    much love Sybil xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being thankful is a great way to start the day and a new week too! I hope your Monday will be a wonderful one for you there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful thoughts and reminders here to start the week with... I will be mindful of all things, grateful of all things. :o) VERY good breakfast cereal blend--I must have a go at making some, for I love a good granola/muesli. Happy Week, dear friend--LOVE YOU LOTS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Marie for this beautiful lesson. I shall put it to good use!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello dear
    one day seems to blur into another. I lose track of them. The pain goes on and on but I can tell I am getting better. Right now I see no good in this but maybe some day I will. Thank you for your love and prayers. You are dear to me.
    Today I could keep my eyes open long enough to read your post. I am going to listen to Elder Holland on your last post. I heard his talk but can't remember it. I love you, I hope you feel better. Lura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Marie, yet another thoughtful post that speaks directly to me. How very true that it's easy to dwell on what isn't there rather than be thankful for what we do have in our lives. I know I'm guilty of that at times. Thank you for the timely reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have had so many people close to me suffering this year. . .and its hard to see it and hear about it. there have been times where i really do wonder why this has to happen to them. it really does throw you for a loop. i've found myself questioning things and feeling upset. but then i went to relief society and the lesson was on gratitude and its really true how finding things to be grateful for isn't hard. . .and despite trials there is ALWAYS something to have gratitude for. it can help pull you through any trial. though i haven't experienced the pain my poor aunt jeanie or our friend lura have, that seems like a way to see that light at the end of the tunnel. . finding something to be grateful for.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!