Wednesday 29 September 2010

To be content therewith . . .



If you haven't all the things that you want in this world, just be grateful for the things you don't have that you never wanted.

~An old Chinese Philosophy

Sometimes it is very tempting to look at others and see the new car, or the fancy clothes . . . the nice house, the latest gadgets . . . etc. and to feel a bit envious. We tend to forget that envy is a symptom of a lack of appreciation of our own self worth and uniqueness! Not only that . . . it is a sin.

"Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house; thou shalt not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.” ~Exodus 20:17



Each of us has something to give to this life that nobody else has, talents that belong to only us, individual personalities and a unique way of doing and seeing things that is ours and ours alone. There are people in this world that have anything and everything that money can buy . . . but they don't have people to love who love them back, or they may not even have a true and honest friend. They may not have the blessing of good health, or the joy that comes from being able to see the simple and everyday gifts that life brings us.

I once knew a very wealthy woman who made the remark to me as I was getting ready to go on holiday . . . "I've never had a holiday!" At first I was aghast at her remark. Here was a woman who had everything anyone's heart could desire. She wore beautiful designer clothing, and expensive jewelry . . . she had servants to see to her every need, and enough money to buy her anything her heart desired. She often flew to exotic and beautiful locations for weeks at a time, places you and I could only dream of going. I couldn't understand how she could say she had never had a holiday . . . but then, when I had thought about it for a time, I realized that, if every day for you is a holiday with nothing to do but please yourself, then getting away to a place that is different or relaxing isn't really a holiday is it? It's just every day life.



Today, try to take pleasure in all that you do have and give thanks to the Lord above for His bounty and blessings. That is the secret to a full and happy life I should think . . . to be content therewith!



I did another one of my little paintings yesterday. You can find her in her entireity here.

Everyone always loves my chocolate chip cookies and I confess they are more than a bit addictive. Buttery and crisp and chock full of nuts, chocolate chips and raisins if you enjoy them! (We do!)




*Marie’s World Famous Chocolate Chip Cookies*
Makes 7 dozen
Printable Recipe

These delicious cookies are everything a chocolate chip cookie should be. Crisp and buttery and chock full of chocolate chips. Bet you can’t eat just one!

2/3 cup Trex or White flora
2/3 cup butter, softened
1 cup caster sugar
1 cup soft light brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla essence
3 cups plain flour (may need more
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 pound chocolate chips

Pre-heat the oven to 190*C/375*F. Lightly grease several cookie sheets and set aside.

Cream together the butter, shortening and sugars in a large bowl until fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Sift together the flour, salt and soda. Stir into the creamed mixture to make a soft but not sticky dough. You can add a bit more flour if you need to. Stir in the chocolate chips. (You may substitute some of the chocolate chips with some sultanas and chopped nuts if you want)

Roll tablespoons of the dough into balls and set on the prepared cookie sheets, two inches apart. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let sit on the baking sheets for several minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Repeat with the rest of the dough. These are fabulous!

Note - you may add 1 cup of chopped toasted pecans or walnuts, and 1/2 cup of raisins if you wish. I do, because we like them that way.



Did you know that today was St Michaelmas Day? It is, and over in The English Kitchen I am cooking Michaelmas Dumplings. Delicious apple stuffed dumplings steamed on a bed of lovely blackberries!

7 comments:

  1. I did know about Michaelmas and here the Pennsylvania Dutch seem to have carried on the tradition. They also call it Harvest Home. Tis so true that to be content with what you do have is the way to being happy. We easily get into the habit having more and more things that really do nothing to make us happy at all. I hope your Wednesday is a Wonderful one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love these pauses for thought that you place here on your journal Marie. They are so true.
    God bless.
    Jeanie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this unique capacity for disappearing for days and then surfzacing when you least expect it to say "HI" and pull a silly face! At those times specially I am always glad I have someone like you in my life who can accept me just as I am and even be glad to see me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I think that those that have the most have the least joy! I find such joy in the everyday pleasures and in all that God has so blessed me with! Love these cookies, thats how i like to make them too...full of everything! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this post, it was just what I needed today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful post as always... you are a woderful writer...what a blessing to read such thoughts... because they are so true. God bless..Mica

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!