Saturday 4 September 2010

Saturday morning this and that . . .



If you only have one smile in you, give it to the people you love. Don't be surly at home, then go out in the street and start grinning 'Good morning' at total strangers.

~Maya Angelou

I don't think much truer words were spoken than this old saying, 'You only hurt the ones you love.' Oh how very easy it is to be short tempered with those closest to us. Most of us would are never be short tempered with a stranger or casual acquaintance. we know our friends and family will love us anyways, but is it really fair to take advantage of that knowledge???



True, we may not always feel cheerful, especially when things are going wrong . . . but being mean spirited with the ones we love never did help a body to get through or over an obstacle.



We have had such a lovely few days of sunshine this week. It's amazing how uplifting and inspiring a bit of sun can be. We live in such a beautiful country here, we really do. I think we can sometimes take it a bit for granted. We need to stop once in a while and breathe in just how lucky we are! There is no finer place to be on a sunny day than in England! That's how I feel at any rate!!



Mitzie would agree I am sure! What a lovely early morning companion she is, nice and warmy snuggled up next to me. Her soft little body curled against my side . . . her chest rising and falling in sleepy breaths . . .quiet puppy snuffles weaving their spell against my heart. What joy . . . what joy . . .



I picked up some bone china tea cups and saucers in a charity shop the other day. They weren't really cheap. I paid £15 for the set. Lovely vintage blue and white china, with gilt trim. I have had in mind to make some china tea cup pin cushions for a while now and this is my first one. I am sure I will get better as time goes. Each one will be quite different, and in the meantime I am on the lookout for more cups and saucers. This one is for sale in my Etsy shop now. Oh, I do love blue and white china so very much!

Here is a quick and easy breakfast treat to make for your family on this first weekend of September. They are so very delicious and everyone just loves them. I'm sure you will too!



*Easy Cheesy Drop Danish with Fruit Filling*
Makes 12
Printable Recipe

These are so easy to make, and quick and tasty. I always keep a box of bisquick in my cupboad so that I can whip these up at a moment's notice.

filling:
3 ounces of cream cheese, room temperature
1 TBS sugar
1 TBS milk
1/4 cup fruit preserves (any flavour you want)

For the Danish:
2 cups bisquick baking mix
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 TBS sugar
2/3 cup millk

Vanilla Glaze:
3/4 cup of icing sugar, sifted
1 TBS warm water
1/2 tsp vanilla

Preheat the oven to 205*C/425*F/gas mark 6). Lightly grease a baking sheet and set aside.

Stir together the cream cheese, sugar and milk for the filling in a small bowl. Set aside.

Stir the Bisquick baking mix, butter and sugar together with a fork until crumbly. Stir in the milk until a soft dough forms. Beat with a spoon for 15 strokes. Drop dollops of this dough onto prepared baking sheet by rounded tablespoonfuls, placing them about 2 inches apart. Using the back of the spoon make a shallow well in the centre of each. Fill each with about 1 tsp of the cream cheese filling and then top with another tsp of the fruit preserves.

Bake them in the heated oven for 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown and well risen.

Stir together the glaze ingredients until smooth and thin enough to drizzle. Drizzle over top of each warm Danish. Serve warm.



In The English Kitchen this morning, a delicious Plum and Hazelnut Slice.


6 comments:

  1. I'm going to be chewing on the quote from Maya Angelou for the next couple of weeks. In fact, I may try to make it our family theme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We DO do that don't we, most of us? Come over all sweetness and light to the world at large but snap and snarl at him indoors! Mind, him indoors has his moments too. Talk about grumpy old men!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the smile quote! Love that cute Mitzie too, getting sweeter by the minute. The recipes look so good too, thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my gracious, Marie...those Danishes looks devilishly delicious!

    Love your thoughts on being cheerful...we all need that reminder sometimes, don't we?

    I agree--you live in one of the loveliest countries on this earth--I LOVE it!

    So do I, however, and it is so important to appreciate where we are, isn't it?

    As always, dear friend, you share so much that is beautiful and true--thank-you!

    Much love to you today...I hope you enjoy every sunshiny moment!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. That dog is just the cutest thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What happened to the digital art you were starting to sell? Are you still doing that?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!