Tuesday 26 May 2009

Tuesday, Tuesday . . .



A laugh is just like sunshine,
It freshens all the day,
It tips the peak of life when light,
And drives the clouds away;
The soul grows glad that bears it,
And feels its courage strong;
A laugh is just like sunshine
For cheering folks along.

A laugh is just like music,
It lingers in the heart,
And where its melody is heard,
The ills of life depart;
And happy thoughts come crowding
It's joyful notes to greet;
A laugh is just like music
For making living sweet.
~anonymous

Well, here we are back to the work week, and, for those of us who work outside the home, there is no more play time until Saturday at the very least. Why is it always so hard to go back to work at the end of even a little holiday? Todd and I had such a lovely weekend together. The weather was really quite good, except for yesterday, when we had showers off and on. We decided not to go anywhere in the rain, but to just have a lazy day around home.



Sometimes it's good to be lazy and have nothing to do. I couldn't do it every day though. I found it quite boring by the end of the day really. I like to be busy and puttering about. It doesn't suit me to do nothing.

I did a little painting, and I did a little baking. I stood at the window and watched the song thrush take a bath in the birdbath. Oh, he did bring a smile to my face with his ministrations and fluttering wings. I watched three female blackbirds mob a starling until it had no choice but to fly away. It was so very interesting to see. I had never seen anything like it before.



I read a bit and dozed a bit and cooked a bit.

I found my father on MSN and talked to him for a bit.

I found my Father in heaven and talked to him for a bit too.

I sat and pondered the ways of the world, and was glad that I don't follow the world.

I watched some old comedies on the telly and laughed . . . a lot. I love the old shows. Life was simpler then it seems.

I sat and listened to the rain dropping on the skylight in our bedroom, a most comforting sound.

I stood at the kitchen window and watched Todd and the little fella next door do some target practice in the back garden.



Yes, yesterday was the fitting end to the long weekend. I did very little and a little of a lot. Days like that are few and far between. They help us to appreciate the value of work, and they help us to appreciate the value of a bit of play. I suppose . . . if every day was a holiday, then holidays would cease to have any meaning or worth. I really am quite lucky to know the difference.

I did bake some cookies yesterday. I should have done my Dorie baking challenge, which was the Chipster Topped Brownies on pages 94 and 95 as chosen by Beth of Supplicious. But then I thought . . . I only made brownies a week or so ago and I am really the only one who eats them much. Did I really want that on my conscience? You know the answer . . .



*White Chocolate Chipsters*
Makes about 65 cookies
Printable Recipe

I can sometimes find white chocolate a bit overly sweet and cloying. When you mix it with the tartness of dried cranberries and the lovely crunch of macadamia nuts though it really becomes moreish.

2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
14 tsp salt
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup firmly packed soft light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon extract
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1 cup chopped macadamia nuts
6 ounces of good quality white chocolate, cut into chunks

Pre-heat the oven to 180*C/350*F. Lightly grease a baking sheet. Set aside.

Whisk the flour, soda and salt together. Set aside.

Cream together the butter and the two sugars in a large bowl. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla and lemon extracts. Add the dry ingredients slowly, mixing just until blended in. Stir in the cranberries, nuts and white chocolate bits.

Drop by heaped tablespoons onto the baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches between each. Bake for 11 to 13 minutes, until they are golden around the edges. Don't overbake. Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before removing to a wire rack to finish cooling completely. Repeat until all the dough has been used up. Store in a tighty covered container for up to a week. For longer storage, freeze.



23 comments:

  1. Marie, these sound really good!! Unfortunately I can't tell you if the brownies were any good, 'cause mine turnes out te be one gooey disaster.... :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. GLAD YOU HAD A NICE WEEKEND...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It too had a great weekend and didn't even have the rain that you did, but got lots of rest. It's a new work week and we hope it'll be a great one for sure.
    'On Ya'-ma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are those your roses? I'm so jealous. Your cookies look delicious. Sometimes it's important just to rest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cookies you made look very good! The chipster brownies were very good, but dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look fantastic! I actually wasn't a fan of the brownie, but your chipsters look like something I would be a HUGE fan of!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello dear Marie! So glad to have a chance to catch up with you here a bit while we're on holiday...sneaking some pc time before we head out for the day. :o) So glad you had a lovely long weekend...a little of everything, that sounds good. These cookies are fantastic...I could go for one of those and cuppa now! Looking forward very much to catching up with you when we get back. LOVE YOU HEAPS!! ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the poem and the beautiful pictures on today's post. Every post you do is so lovely. You are an amazing blogger my dear!!

    It sounds like you had a lovely weekend in spite of the rain yesterday. I actually love being inside and hearing the rain fall...at least I think I do...it has been so long since that has happened it is hard to remember...lol. When I was teaching I didn't like driving to school in the rain and parking and trying to carry all of my supplies to my classroom without me and them getting all wet... but alas... now that I am retired and home we have had almost no rain... very little any way..it did rain a bit the last time we went to Utah but I missed it..asi es la vida!

    It sounds like you had a nice day yesterday doing a little of a lot of things. I am sure that you needed one restful day before getting back to work this week. We had a nice simple holiday yesterday. I made John a birthday cake, cleaned up 3 of our patios for our BBQ, got one pair of pants hemmed for John, had Mindy and family over for a nice dinner, took a dip in the pool with the kids, cleaned up,laid down with Austin pooh, fell asleep and didn't wake up until midnight when I staggered to our bed and fell in.

    We have all been in bed this morning watching Thomas the tank engine for the 1000 time and being silly...as you said... every day is a holiday when you are retired...but I never tire of it.

    I'd better get busy and go and fixed breakfast so I can be done to call you in a few minutes. I look forward to hearing your voice.

    Until then....XOXOX Lura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Marie
    I'm glad you had a lazy relaxing day. We all need that once in a while.
    Thanks for the sweet poem. It blessed me today!
    Your friend Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love a lazy day! It was so nice to get away and spend time at my sister's. We just played, played, played. So refreshing!

    I'm glad you had a nice lazy day too!!!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am with you we had a nice relaxing weekend...BBQ at my son's house. Good times...back to work, looking forward to something to smile about each day!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your cookies better than any brownies. And I totally agree with this: "I pondered the ways of the world, and was glad I didn't follow the ways of the world."

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds like a delicious, wonderful peaceful weekend. I like the lazy days. Actually no, I really appreciate the lazy quiet times where nothing is expected, yet you can accomplish the little things at our own pace.
    The cookies look divine as well!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  14. Marie:

    I have daydreamed of living in Britain almost all of my life. My ultimate home would be a tiny cottage with flowers all about. Reading about your daily doings allows me a little peek into your home in England.

    Kim
    Garden Painter Art

    ReplyDelete
  15. Keith retires in October and he's already making plans like going out in the middle of the week, firing the window cleaner and cleaning the windows himself (HA), making beer in the garden shed. And that's after he's done all the housework! I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do.

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad you had a relaxing weekend. I didn't want to go back to work either. I tried to come up with any excuse that would get me out of it.

    Your garden is lovely. I'm assuming that the pictures are from your garden. LOVELY!!
    Have a great day.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  17. I ran into one of the offices while no one was there 2 times over the weekend to get some things done; gets done in less than half the time with glorious quiet. Other than that, I was quite laid back(well, for me) too.

    And was glad I don't follow the world~ I laughed when I read that, but I do get the serious point there.

    Makes about 65 cookies. Hmm, I'd need to cut that down, because I have found even if you freeze cookies, they are good that way too :-0. ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. Its good you had a relaxing weekend.. i just love the rose image on your blog..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your weekend sounded dreamy. I love it when you get to do fun things and then have a stay at home day to recover from the other activities of the weekend. I wish we had that every week.

    Jim always dreads going back but the minute he is there he loves it. I am looking froward to when he retires so we can have more flexibility but then we will be going on a mission so....there goes that flexibility!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i have a hard time getting back into the swing of things after a holiday too-its so fun to have a break. and then its back to the usual:( which, okay, isn't so bad, but still, i like to have joey home and have some fun!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hope you had a great weekend just like your cookie looks really great

    ReplyDelete
  22. White chocolate and cranberry do pair well together. I recently made a similar cookie but with pistachios instead of macadamia nuts.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!