Friday 1 September 2023

The Patience of Ordinary Things . . .


 

Hello September!  Today marks the first of the "ber" months. These are some of my favorite months of the year, beginning with the  month of September.  A month of great transition. A month where we start to move slowly from Summer into Autumn, my most favorite season of all.


I was always one of those freaky children that looked forward to the beginning of the new year at school.  We were not a family that went on "vacations" as such.  I was more than bored with summer by the time September rolled around and ready for change!




New shoes, new scribblers, new pencils, new teacher.  It was all very exciting to me. Of course school did not start right on the first of the month, but the wait was over and the beginning of the school year was imminent!  I could not wait to see many friends that I had not seen all summer. My excitement at it all was very tangible.


I was a child who loved learning new things, even if they did not always come easily to me.  I loved the written word. I loved reading and writing.  I loved geography and the sciences.  I was not overly fond of arithmetic, but that was because I did not then, and still do not now, have a mathematical mind. 


I loved everything else about school, however. 



My son starts school today. It is all going to be strange and new to him for a while and I wish you would treat him gently. It is an adventure that might take him across continents. An adventure that will probably include wars, tragedy and sorrow. To live this life will require faith, love and courage.

So, dear Teacher, will you please take him by his hand and teach him that for every enemy, there is a friend.

He will have to know that all men are not just, that all men are not true. But teach him also that for every scoundrel there is a hero, that for every crooked politician, there is a dedicated leader. 

In school, Teacher, it is far more honorable to fail than to cheat. 

 Teach him to learn how to gracefully lose, and enjoy winning when he does win. Teach him to be gentle with people. Steer him away from envy if you can and teach him the secret of quiet laughter. 

Teach him if you can the wonders of books, but also give time to ponder the extreme mystery of birds in the sky, bees in the sun and flowers on a green hill. 

 Teach him to have faith in his own ideas, even if everyone tells him they are wrong. Try to give my son the strength not to follow the crowd when everyone else is doing it. 

 Teach him to listen to everyone, but teach him also to filter all that he hears on a screen of truth and take only the good that comes through. 

 Teach him never to put a price tag on his heart and soul. Let him have the patience to be brave. 

 Teach him to have faith in himself, because then he will always have faith in mankind. See what best you can do. He is such a nice little boy, and he is my son. 

~Abraham Lincoln


In thinking back on my grade school years, I did not ever have a teacher that I did not like. I can tell you the names of each and every one of them.  I remember them always with fondness.  Even when I  got to middle school and  high school, it was very rare that I had a teacher I did not like.  In fact, I can think of only one in particular that I did not see eye to eye with. I guess that is not so bad.  To have only one. I am very grateful to have had teachers who lived up to "their potential."  Teachers who taught me to love learning and who, along with my parents,  taught me how to be a good and responsible person.




This is one of the few places that I have lived as an adult where I do not get to enjoy the sounds of school children at play during their recesses and other breaks. Even when I worked at the Manor, our cottage was at the top of a hill which had a primary school at the bottom.  The sound of children at play often echoed up through the orchards which surrounded us. It was such a joy filled sound and I loved it so very much. 


But then, again, I always loved recess myself. Playing skipping with my friends, hopscotch, ball, etc. I enjoyed it all. I know it was not that way for everyone. When I think back on my life, I realize and recognize that it is a life which has been richly blessed with goodness and abundance, even in the most difficult of times.  To recognize such is in and of itself a great blessing also.



How wonderful the way the mind works and the ability it has to share such thoughts with others.  I found this poem this morning and just had to share it.  The Patience of Ordinary Things.


I am a lover of ordinary things.  Life is made up of such and an ordinary life is a beautiful thing.


I have an appointment this morning with the nurse at the Primary Care Clinic to get the first of the shots I am due to get. I am not sure what this one is for. She spoke so quickly when she called to set up the appointment and I did not take it in.  I knew only that it was something I was waiting for and due.


I felt ever so much better yesterday and I did get a bit done. I was very much cognizant of the fact that I don't want to be overdoing anything just yet, so took it easy. I will try to get the rest done today. But there are no deadlines to meet.  I am a free agent and so long as it gets done, it really doesn't matter how long these things take!  That's my story anyways!

A thought to carry with you . . . 


° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.Look inside yourself for the answers.
You're the only one who knows
what's best for you. 
Everyone else is only guessing.
~Charles de Lint•。★★ 。* 。




In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Chicken Rice Casserole, for two.  This was such a simple make.  Just stir everything together and bake. Very easy and very tasty too!

I hope that you have a lovely Friday. Fill it with things that bring you joy and peace. Be happy, be blessed, be safe and don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!    

   

4 comments:

  1. Glad you continue to improve and take things at your own pace. Yes, the ber months are here, yet next week it is supposed to get to the 30's Celsius. Back to school for the grandkids. The school buses will be back on the roads. Enjoy the first day of September.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay keep feeling better.I loved primary school the best.. then secondary..college less uni even less..lol I don't want to go back to school.I loved all the new books pencils etc.In primary our books had to be covered..one yr my mom put blue and I remember a red yr:)Next week heat wave.Football with the littles starts tonight..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved Lincoln's beautiful directive to teachers. Continue to feel better. Love and hugs, Elaine (in Toronto).

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!