Monday 4 September 2023

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 



"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 


 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.





Yesterday Cindy took us all out together as a family for supper to celebrate her impending retirement.  We went to this restaurant we had never been to before called The Crow's Nest. It was quite a drive to get there and it didn't look like much from the outside, but the food was fantastic. The restaurant was a lot larger inside than it looked from the outside.  It specializes in seafood.  Cindy had a seafood platter with scallops, clams and haddock. I had fish and chips (surprise!).  Dad had a bowl of seafood chowder and it was overflowing with lobster, scallops, haddock, etc. Dan had a hot hamburger sandwich and chips.  We all were filled up to the eyeballs when we were done. No room for dessert.  Everything was delicious.  The best part of course was being able to do this together as a family. Who knows how many more opportunities like this we will get.  





The drive there and back was beautiful as well. We stopped in Annapolis Royal on our way and Dad and I sat on a bench overlooking the water while Cindy and Dan explored a little bit. What a picturesque town Annapolis is. So pretty. I don't think I had ever been down to the waterfront before. I had been to Fort Anne but not that far down. Lots of lovely little curiosity shops, eateries, galleries, etc.


 

We were at the grocery store on Saturday and they had some really nice looking crabapples.  This week Cindy and I are going to make some crabapple jelly. I have not made any in years and years.  It will be so much fun doing this together.  I love crabapple jelly. What a treat this is going to be!  Best part of all, doing it with Cindy.

Getting to do things like this with my sister is an extra special blessing.


 


I am feeling so much better.  I still have two days of antibiotics to take, including today. I still have a bit of a cough, but its not keeping me awake anymore or choking me. I am still quite tired.  Point in fact I didn't get up until almost 7:30 this morning.  But I reckon I need the rest.  My energy levels are still a bit low.  But I know this is only temporary and God willing I will soon be back to scratch.  I am so blessed to have family close by to help me out when I am not well.  I am so grateful for them.




I am so grateful for the simple life. A life filled with simple pleasures and joys.  A life filled with faith and family and friends. I don't need a mansion on a hill or a bank account filled to overflowing.  The joys, blessings, and pleasures I receive on a daily basis may be simple, but they are priceless.  Treasures in heaven.




These two. They bring me so much joy.  They make me laugh and my heart is so full when I think of them.  In the face of all my sorrow at having had to give up Mitzie, God has been good and returned that love to me two fold.  They each have their own unique personalities.  Nutmeg is very much in your face and affectionate and wanting attention.  Cinnamon is more laid back but still quite affectionate from time to time.  But you know all that. It is nothing I have not said before.  I just cannot help but express my gratitude for their presence in my life.


 

We have had some really beautiful days over this past week. Nice and sunny. Warm but not hot and humid.  Warm days that you can enjoy without it being too warm if you know what I mean.  I don't enjoy heat and humidity at all. We had a really rainy summer all told, after having had a really dry start.  All the rain made things pretty humid.  Its nice to be able to enjoy the sunshine without that energy sapping humidity.


 


As we were driving yesterday, I was impressed with what a beautiful part of the world we are blessed to live in.  I suppose you can tend to take where you live for granted sometimes. It is nice to take pause from time to time and recognize the beauty of your circumstances and to acknowledge God's goodness in all of it.  I do believe that this place, this Nova Scotia . . .  is a little piece of heaven on earth, with its rolling hills and small mountains, pretty valleys and riverbeds  . . .  fields of corn and small villages and fishing inlets and woodlands.  It is just a beautiful, beautiful place and I truly am blessed to call it home.


I think it is no small thing to be able to stop and count the blessings and good fortune in your life.  Those small and simple things that many  might take for granted.  Faith and family, health and friendship, home and comfort  . . . I know from whence they come, and I am grateful for each and every one of them.


A thought to carry with you . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*Fill your paper•。★★ 。* 。
with the breathings•。★★ 。* 。
of your heart.•。★★ 。* 。
~William Wordsworth•。★★ 。* 。
•。★★ 。* 。•。★★ 。* 。




In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Stuffed Acorn Squash with Apple, Cranberry & Sausage Stuffing. Sized for two. 

Happy Labor Day.  I hope you all have a safe one filled with loads of small and wonderful blessings, may your week ahead be filled with simple abundance.  Whatever you get up to, be well and don't forget!


═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═════════     


And I do too!       
 

5 comments:

  1. The simple life is best, Lovely outing with your family and a chance to see a spot you haven't been to. Finish off those antibiotics and continue to improve. Enjoy Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The times I have lived in very beautiful places, I have felt that most all people living there were happy...so very nice!! Glad the meds are helping you feel better!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make this dish often in the fall, but butternut!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marie! Congratulations on your sisters pending retirement! You really do live in such a beautiful part of the world, and you live there with people who love you and care for you, that's the best part! I love that they sell crabapples in the grocery stores there. I used to make crabapple jelly, many years ago, but don't have access to a crabapple tree now. Your stuffed acorn squash look delicious, and it certainly is that time of year when the squash is ready for harvest. Enjoy your day, Marie! Hugs and Love, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, yes, the simple, everyday things are great but even greater and more special when shared with our loved ones! Happy new week, xo, V.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!