Monday 5 June 2023

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 




"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 


 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.


 


Yesterday started off a bit upsetting. My next door neighbor Sheila called me to tell me that Glenna had called her to say she wasn't going to church and could she let me know.  Apparently she had fallen during the night and laid on the floor all night. Her son was on his way down from where he lives about an hour away and an ambulance had been called.  They took her away to see what had happened.  I was very concerned.  Thankfully she was home by last evening and nothing too serious was wrong. She has had some changes made in her medications, etc.  Her son was there all afternoon yesterday. He was working so diligently to clean her house, lay down new carpets for her, etc. I thought what a good son.

Thankfully the day ended on a much higher note than it had begun.

In speaking to her son he mentioned that he was going to see about getting a key lock box for his mother so that people could get in if anything like this happens again.  I thought what a good idea.  I might think about getting the same thing for my place.  We all lock our doors at night, but when you live on your own it effectively locks you in and nobody can get in to help you if anything happens.

Grateful that Glenna is okay and that she has such a wonderful son. 


 

After a weekend filled with rain (with more on the way) the wild fires near Halifax are now considered to be contained. People that have not lost their homes have been allowed to return to them.  This could have been so much worse than it was.  I hope and pray that there will be a lot of help in place for those who have lost everything.

So grateful for the rain.


 

My bathroom is absolutely infested with ants. They are swarming.  I am kind of upset about that.  I hardly slept a wink last night worrying about them.  I vacuum them up and they are soon replaced with hundreds more.  I can't find where they are getting in, but I think it is in a corner of the bathroom wall next to my next door neighbors. I don't have any anywhere else. Just in there. It won't be long however before they are everywhere. 

I never had this problem last year or the year before.  This has been such a dry year I guess.  I will need to do something and do it soon or it will be beyond my control.

This is not so wonderful, I admit. But it is not the end of the world either.


 

Its very damp and chilly in here this morning. I have had to put my heat pump onto the heating mode. Yay, my heat pump now works!!  I am so grateful for that.  

I am not complaining. It will be all too soon and we will be sweltering in hot and muggy temperatures.  I hate hot, muggy and sticky weather.

Grateful that I have a way to keep myself warm.


 

Sunday dinner with the family.  Cindy, Dan and Dad.  Yesterday my sister did a roast chicken in her air fryer and we had roasted tender stem broccoli and sweet/white potatoes. It was really yummy. But, of course, the best part is being with family. 

I love my family. Not everything is perfect. I wish that I had a close relationship with all of them, of course, but for whatever reasons it is what it is. I don't think any family is perfect. We are all only humans after all.  I just cherish the blessings I do have and keep trusting in the promises of God that one day all of our tears will be wiped dry and all hearts will be mended.

Grateful for family and family love.



 

Prayer.  I am grateful for the power of prayer.  It blesses my life abundantly, this two way connection which I have with my Heavenly Father.  Not all prayers are answered immediately.  Sometimes we have to wait a long time for the answers, but trusting in God's timing in all things, we can know that His timing is right for us. We don't always understand it, this having to wait.  Our impatient hearts want immediate answers. Waiting for answers can sometimes be really hard.  What am I saying?  Its always really hard. The waiting.  But in the  meantime we can be at peace, knowing and believing that answers will come eventually. Weeping may remain for the night, but joy always cometh in the morning.



 


A new day.  Each one is a gift to be opened. Will we open it with joy or will we open it with dread.  The choice is ours.  Getting old is a privilege that is denied to many. Sometimes it doesn't feel like a privilege I know.  It is a gift that comes with all sorts of aches and pains, but having a positive outlook makes it all much easier. Positivity just makes life better. I am grateful that I am a person with a positive outlook.  I am grateful for the peace that comes from having faith and knowing that life contains far more ups than it does downs.  If we keep our eyes and hearts fastened on the good, then we've cracked it.  Being negative never made anything better, or easier. 

I don't know what today will bring to my table, or what this week, month, year, etc. will bring. I just try to find as much joy as I can in the moments I am given. Its not always easy, but its always there. I just have to look harder sometimes.

And with that I best leave you with a thought for the day.

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *Summer weather, like being in love,
is a philosopher's stone which turns
our ordinary days into gold. But not
the whole day . . . For it is never the
whole day, never all our life which is
transformed in any happiness,
only the exquisite moments.
~Nan Fairbrother•。★★ 。* 。

 



Cooking in The English Kitchen today  . . .  South Carolina Bird Dog Sandwich.  Simple and delicious. A buttery toasted bun topped with bacon, chicken fillets, cheese and a honey mustard dressing/drizzle. Thoroughly enjoyable.


I hope you have a beautiful week. Be happy. Be blessed. Don't forget! 

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ══════════  

 

And I do too!     
      
 
 








12 comments:

  1. Put ant traps in corners..the ants crawl the ants crawl out and bring the poison to the source.They work perfectly.We live with ants outside almost everywhere ..so much sand..I haven't seen one ant indoors.Every yr..I use them always a success.Your chicken dish looks tops!We used lok boxes when I worked.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monique! I bet the boys would love those sandwiches! xoxo

      Delete
  2. So glad that Glenna is okay after her ordeal. Also glad your area had rain and that folks can now go back to their homes in the fire areas. Hope you get that ant infestation under control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some are relievedly returning home to everything being intact and others to no home left at all. Very sad. Thanks about the ants! I think I have cracked it! xoxo

      Delete
  3. You need Terrorists for those ants. Non-toxic, easy to use and REALLY works. You can find it on Amazon. Plus, the reviews are hysterical. Cleared my many years problem with ants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant TERRO. Silly autocorrect ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL you just got to love autocorrect Grandma! Thank you! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Glad Glenna is okay…nice to have dinner with family….ugh, ants!…wishing you ‘exquisite moments’….xo, V.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie, here's what I did and got rid of ants. You may have an ant hill/nest beneath the slab in your bathroom. Put your cats away in the other room, and take a kettle of boiling water and pour a tiny stream over the ants. Do not vacumn them up. The boiling water will scare them, and they will retreat (what's not done in by the hot water, that is). You may have to do this a few times, before the ants get the message. After trickling boiling water over them, wait a few minutes and wipe it up. Then take coarse Kosher salt (big grained) and sprinkle it in the corner where you think they are coming in. Ants don't like salt. Next day repeat the boiling water. Then wipe up, and repeat the salt. This works for me, and is not harmful to anything but the ants. When you vacumn, the noise just stirs them up, so wipe up after the boiling water treatment instead of vacumning. Also, don't forget the Dove Nourishing Body Care for all over skin care. You can sometimesw find that at the dollar stores in small round containers, or can order it from Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marie, I forgot to mention this. Petroleum Jelly dabbed over a small crack or hole where ants are coming in will stop them from entering. Ants can't stand it. However, when you have a lot of ants over your floor, pouring a trickle of boiling water over them will get rid of them. Don't use the boiling water on wood floors because it might damage the floor. Just remember to lean over fairly close to the floor when you are pouring the boiling water over the ants so that you don't get a splash of it on you. Just pour it out in a small trickle, don't gush it out of the kettle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all the sound and welcome advice! I have also ordered the Dove Nourishing Skin Care cream! I need to buy some petroleum Jelly also! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!