Saturday 10 June 2023

All Things Nice . . .

 

 

Whenever I see lilacs blow
My heart rejoices and I know
That in a world far off, somewhere,
There IS a God who answers prayer.

Whenever I see lilacs bloom
After the winter's cold and gloom,
Something within, deep down inside
Tells me that all good things abide.

Whenever I see lilacs tall
Growing against a garden wall
My faith is strengthened and renewed,
And I am filled with gratitude.

Beyond these little grief hung years
above anxiety and tears,
There's something bigger than it all,
Someone who hears me when I call . . . 

All these eternal things I know
Whenever I see lilacs blow.
~Edna Jacques, Whenever I See Lilacs Blow
Roses in December, 1944


I hope you never tire of these poems of Edna Jacques that I share on Saturdays.  I should also find another poet, but her poetry just always speaks to my heart. I thought I would get this one in before the lilacs are totally finished.  There is one bush across the street that is just beginning to bloom, whilst others are waning. It is too bad that they don't stay beautiful for longer, but then again, if they did, we might start to take them for granted. This way they remain a once a year treat for the eyes and the soul.




 
 

My sister went with me yesterday and I spent about $50 on ant things. I got those Terro things.  I got short fat ones you can stick on the walls and longish try ones you can slide underneath and behind things.  Fingers crossed they do the trick.  They are all in places that my two babies cannot access. 

Apparently the landlord had these places sprayed for ants a few weeks ago.  I did not see them, and usually they knock on the door to tell you what they are doing first.  Anyways, I didn't see them, and neither did my next door neighbor Sheila who sees everything.  Plus we had torrential rains right after which probably flushed a lot of it away and it has driven them indoors. I think they should really spray again, but then again, I am the one sitting on the nuisance end of the stick. 😏

At least yesterday they came and filled in the trough at the end of our road.  Several weeks ago they dug up the street for about a 2 foot trough so that they could work on some underground wiring for the street lights, as the ones on one street over had not been working for a time.  They were hooking them up to ours I guess.

At any rate they left this trough in the road which kept getting deeper and deeper.  It was becoming dangerous to drive over.  Unless you have a four wheeler all terrain vehicle.  I was worried the last few times I had to drive over it that I was going to wreck the suspension on my car.

Anyways, yesterday they came and filled it in with some buckets of stone and gravel. Hopefully this will work and they eventually are able to pave over it.


 

I have an angel in my life and her name is Cindy.  I seriously do not know how I would cope without her and Dan.  They do so much for me and I am so grateful.  After we picked up the ant stuff yesterday, we came back here and got it all set out, and Cindy helped organized my cupboards for me.  They were in a bit of a mess.  And when you have stuff in your cupboard that is in a bit of a mess, you don't get it used because you cannot see it.  

I ended up throwing away about 6 cake  mixes.  I don't know why I buy them. I like homemade cakes so much better, but I see them on offer and I think to myself . . . Ohhh . . .  Cherry Chip . . .  that sounds nice. Dad would like that.  And I buy it, and another one because they are like cheaper when you buy two.  And I stick them in the cupboard with good intentions and what happens?  They don't get used and a month later I will see another offer and I will think to myself . . . Ohhh . . .  Golden Yellow  . . .  I have seen a few desserts you can make with a Golden Yellow cake mix . . .  and I buy it, and another one because, well . . . you know.  And they get stuck in the cupboard, again  . . . with good intentions.

So I had about 6, maybe more, cake mixes that had expired.  And a big box of cereal that had expired.  And I have about 15 cases of wet cat food, which is the only kind my cats will eat, but I thought I had only about 6, which is bad enough. So I have had to pause my bi-weekly delivery of those.  And my litter lockers which I think I have about 20 of. 

Like I said  . . . what would I do without my sweet sister.  I think I would be in a right old mess. And Dan, cleaning my car for me and helping me with my cardboard and helping build my furniture, etc.  I am truly blessed.  BONUS - I love them and they love me.


Sugar-free jello powders.  My mother had a thing about tinned salmon. Every time she went to Walmart she would pick up a few tins of Salmon. After she passed my sister had a bazillion tins of salmon to get rid of.  Sugar-free jello powders are my salmon.


 

Glenna's son has told us that she is doing much better and is now allowed to have a few visitors so long as they don't tire her out.   This is encouraging news.  Her daughter is flying in from Alberta today. She will be able to help Glenna when they let her out of hospital and properly assess things and make sure all is okay.  This must be so hard for Glenna.  We had been talking prior to her going away on her little vacation to Alberta about how hard it is to have to give up one's independence and become dependent on others. Glenna is fiercely independent.  She loves her car and driving. She takes violin lessons and piano lessons. She was our Relief Society President up until just recently.   When I was in the motel quarantining after my return to Canada, she brought me a card and a rose.  This is heartbreaking, but life will slowly come back to a semblance of normalcy for her I hope. She is much beloved and covered in love and prayers.  It might be a new normal, but hopefully it will still be a good life. 


 

Oh how I long to be able to hang my bedding outside to dry when I launder it.  I have always loved hanging out clothes.  I love the whole process.  The snap that the clothes make when you flick out the wrinkles and that satisfying feeling as you pin them to the line.  The way they gently flutter in the breeze.  The feel of the sunshine on your head as you work away at it . . .  and then that beautiful smell when they are all dried and you bring them in and fold them.  Sunshine and clean, fresh air. You can't wait to get them on your bed and crawl in between them.  Such a simple thing and such a joy.



I started watching this last night.  Such a good film.  I will probably finish watching it tonight. I had been waiting for it to come out on my streaming channels. I was really looking forward to it.  So far it has not let me down. Tom Hanks is doing his usual great job acting and his youngest son is playing the younger Otto, and also doing a great job.  I won't say any more about it because I don't want to ruin it for anyone who has not seen it yet, but this is a cracking good movie.




Do you have old films that you like to watch again and again?  One of mine is this old black and white film from the 1940's called Our Vines Have Tender Grapes.  It stars Edward G Robinson, Margaret O'Brien and Agnes Moorehead. It is the story of a farming family throughout a whole year at the start of WW2.  Its a charming little movie.  I cannot tell you how many times I have watched it.

The first time was back in the early 1990's. I had recorded it and fell in love with it. My ex husband was away in Bosnia at the time and my youngest son Bruce who was about 4 years old, was crawling into bed with me every night and sleeping with me.  I had a television in the bedroom and every night he would ask me could we watch this movie and so we would watch it together.  I don't know if that is why this film is so special to me, because of the memories of Bruce and I watching it together, but it is a film that is really special to my heart.  I think it always will be.


I think when we get to the ends of our lives and look back we will see that truly the most important and cherished things were not the things that gather dust or can be broken, but are the tender moments and times we have spent with the people that we love. This is what matters most. 


And with that I best leave you with a thought for today  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *Kindness is a language
that the deaf can hear 
and that the blind can see.
~Mark Twain•。★★ 。* 。
 





In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Candy Bar Dates  . . . a delicious snack that tastes just like a candy bar, but is a whole lot healthier.  Simple and quick to make as well.



I hope you have a beautiful weekend.  I hope it is filled with loads of NICE!  Don't forget! 

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════



And I do too!




3 comments:

  1. Good news on improvement for Glenna. Love the poems, keep the coming. Cindy is certainly an angel sorting out your cupboards. Attack those ants! Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear Glenna is some better...for sure the changes we must face as we age are not easy!! So glad you have a nice sister to help you out!! I need some help too...but argh, tis just me who can do stuff...aw well, I finally got a gob of ironing done this week...so that will help get us set for quite some time now (the joys of cotton clothing!)
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember best before dates don't necessarily mean expired, they are just a recommendation that the product might not taste as good

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!