Monday 16 January 2023

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 

 
 

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 


 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best. 




 

This is one of the warmest Canadian January's that I remember. Its cold, but not overly so, and we have only a light dusting of snow on the ground. I am sure Winter will more than make up for it before the season is through, but so far so good. We have had far more rain than snow. Yesterday it was freezing rain, but I was tucked up here in my warm little house and didn't have to go anywhere, so it was all good.




So grateful for my family, who despite the bad weather, braved the roads to come to my place for dinner yesterday. I had cooked a pot of chili and we had that with rice and cornbread and sugar free jello with whipped squirty cream for dessert.  Having family around is a real blessing to me. My father even came from where he lives. I was worried about him making the drive, but he did it anyways, and was able to get here and home again after, safe and sound.




After dad left yesterday, Dan spent some time showing me how to use the game system my son Anthony gave me for Christmas. I think I know a lot more about it now than I did and may even be able to play it a bit now. It was all a great mystery to me before. The last time I played video games was about 25 years ago and they have changed a lot since then!  I still have a lot to learn, but that will come with practice, but at least for now I can do a few things and learn as I go along. Thank you Dan!

I don't think I will spend a lot of time playing games, but it is nice to have a diversion every now and then, plus it keeps the brain and reflexes active.


 


I have taken a number of days off from food blogging over the past week.  I've just spent some time reworking old posts and updating the Seo on them, but mostly I've just relaxed a bit, pottering about and doing a whole lot of nothing really.  I would like to say it was planned, but it wasn't. For some reason I have been feeling largely uninspired. I don't know why.  I guess I have just needed a rest from things. I think everyone does now and then. A rest is as good as a holiday they say.

I wish I could say that I had been super productive during that time, but, meh . . .  I have not.


 


I've spent a lot of time crocheting, and listening to good music, and reading, and just cuddling with the cats.  I had bought some fabric and trims to make some pillowcases, but I didn't get to them. Maybe I will this week.  The fabric is really cute.  It has ditsy flowers and red and white toadstools printed all over it. You know how much I enjoy those. I couldn't get any crochet cotton locally so I bought some lace trim which looks crochet, which I will just add on as trim. I may even get to them today, you never know. Hope springs eternal! 


 

Other than that life just plows on. I am grateful for the quiet times. I have had enough drama over the past few years to last anyone a lifetime.  I am all for the quiet life now.   Mind you I am an elderly woman now and I no longer crave excitement.  I never actually did in reality. I have always been happiest at home.  I am a real homebody. I love nothing more than puttering about the house, doing a bit of housewifery, sewing, cooking, needlecrafts, writing, reading, etc.  Especially in the Winter months.  I am most grateful to have a home which is comfortable and warm, and yes, cozy. When I was younger I used to long to have the money to decorate my house in a certain style, but now I am older, and (of course, aren't we all) on a very limited income, I am not so concerned about style, but more about affordable comfort.  Oh, I do sometimes think it would be nice to have this or to have that, but in reality, I have all that I need and am very content with the life that I have.

There is naught for comfort more than being content with what you already have, and with that I will leave you with a thought for the day . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *What if the very moment
you feel like things are falling apart,
they are actually coming together?
You never know what the future
might bring. Keep going.
~Hank Smith  •。★★ 。* 。




Today I am sharing a Classic Shepherd's Pie.  Comfort food doesn't really get much better than this!

I hope your week ahead is filled with a multitude of small and wonderful things! Whatever you get up to, don't forget! 

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════
 

And I do too! 
 






11 comments:

  1. I have had a break from my website too, plus other social media platforms, nothing new to share. The pillow cases sound adorable, I'm sure you will get to the soon. Your mojo will return soon. Shepherd's pie is a favourite of ours, just might make it tonight. Off for some groceries as it looks like icy rain tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all need to take a break now and then Linda! I was hoping to get to the pillow cases today. Its only half way through the day so I still might! I hope you are able to get your groceries safely! Stay safe and warm! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Elderly?Oh Marie.. far from it.Let's not rush that terminology.Not that I hate being older but elderly is later;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure what to call myself Monique! Some days I definitely feel elderly! But you are right. I am at the far end of "middle aged!" xoxo

      Delete
  3. For sure, the energy flags now at the age I am...but then my time is not all my own either...and I never get everything done...always more to do. Am hoping to get some extra cleaning and sorting done this week...still plenty to go through from our move.
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought I would have so much time on my hands when my family was grown up and gone Elizabeth! I have less time than ever! I hope you can get all the things done this week that you want to get done! xoxo

      Delete
  4. ‘Grateful for quiet time’…yes!…like they say, ‘no news is good news’… enjoy the uneventful times… we all know things can change on a dime…rest and recharge when you can! xo, V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much V! You rest and recharge when you can also! Stay safe and warm and happy! xoxo

      Delete
  5. I was inspired to make a cottage/shepherd's pie for supper tonight. I used part lamb and part ground beef. It turned out delicious and hit the spot. Thanks for helping me decide what to have for supper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pleased you enjoyed it! That always makes me happy! xoxo

      Delete
  6. I agree with you on all counts Becky! I also love living in an age where I have a window into other women's lives as well. It is nice to feel connected to so many "kindred spirits!" Thank you so much! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!