Sunday 27 January 2019

Sunday morning this and that . . .


One of my greatest treasures is a small book of poetry by Edna Jacques. It was published in 1950 and its cover is worn and tattered.  My mother had a copy of it in our bookcase when I was growing up and it was one of my favourite things to read.  I have always loved words and the poetic exercise of putting them together in just such a way as to delight the soul.  I was so pleased a number of years back when I was able to procure a copy of the book.  Edna was a Canadian poet who wrote about the sometimes harsh life of living on the prairies, but mostly they celebrated the daily experiences of Domestic life . . .  right up my alley!

I think of mother when I see
tall chestut candles on a tree,
my mother always kept a light
for us when we were out at night.

I think of her when roses shed
their petals on a flower bed,
like silken dresses spread to dry
beneath a breathless summer sky.

The smell of new bread makes me see,
the old farmhouse that used to be.
A place where laughter, joy and tears
journeyed down throughout the years. 

White Christmas days ... star studded nights,
the heavens filled with Northern lights.
Warm evenings in the summer time,
an old brass cowbells homely chime.

I think of her and all she meant,
the grace and kindliness she lent,
to every common household chore;
her welcome ever at the door 
I am so rich in memories
of ordinary things like these.

A loaf of bread . . . a porch light on
an old dog sleeping on the lawn. 


I was reading through them yesterday and noted that this was one of her favourite poems in the book, so thought I would share.  Yesterday was a real mixed bag of emotion as you can imagine.  Highs and lows.  


This was one of the highs.  Ariana and Grace stopped by and spent some time with us.  Grace enjoyed one of the cookies I had just baked.  She has such a sweet little personality.  Oh, how I love her, and how I love that she is a part of our lives.  



This was one of the lows  . . .  now you know, this is just a battle waiting to be fought don't you. 😬  Early in the day Todd took our coffee table to a charity shop.  I loved my coffee table, but there just really isn't room for it in our lounge, so we bid it goodbye.  He came home with a guitar, which I thought to myself, nice  . . .  he's going to learn to play a guitar, everyone needs a hobby.  And then this morning I came downstairs to see this ⇑  

There is just no way, NO way this is going to be living
on my livingroom wall.
No, no, no, way. 


This is the house my mother was born in.  It is up on the South Mountain in Inglesville and was once my Great Grandparents house.  It was much nicer when my mother was a child growing up and living in it.  I don't think anyone is even living in it anymore. 

Mom's funeral was yesterday and I was so excited that I was going to be able to watch it online as it was happening.  Sadly there was no sound so I was unable to hear anything. This is something I wrote to be shared at the funeral.  My oldest son read it. You can go here to read it if you want.  Apparently my brother was given a disc of the funeral, and he has put it on YouTube, so I am going to go and watch it a bit later.   


Our Douglas sent me this.  This is all of our five children at the funeral, left to right, Amanda, Bruce, Anthony, Eileen and Doug. It was nice to see them all together. Very proud of my kids.  Love them so very much.

  

I wanted to say thank you for all of the support, prayers, love and cards etc. that you have all so generously given to me and my family over these past couple of weeks.  All have been very much appreciated.  I am hoping that things get more back to normal now, or maybe a new normal . . .  we will see.  Healing is all a part of the journey.  I want this to be a happy space.

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
If you are on the right path,
it will always be uphill.
~Henry B Eyring   •。★★ 。* 。 


Mom's Butterscotch Cookies 

Baking in The English Kitchen today  . . .  Mom's Butterscotch Slice & Bake Cookies

Have a wonderful Sunday.  Don't forget along the way of your day  . . . 


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════
 

And I do too!





10 comments:

  1. Hi Marie, such beautiful words. Your mum would have been so happy with them.

    A lovely photo of your children too!

    Grace is just so cute! 😍😍😍

    I'm with you on the guitar!!!!
    George has one that he never plays and its out of site in a cupboard!

    I'm not going out today the wind is horrendous!! Lot's of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! Todd has since taken the guitar down. I don't think men see things in quite the same way we do! lol. That wind today is really terrible! Love and hugs! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Send you much of love and thinks in you, really yesterday : all day!
    Maybe is because I lived this before and I know how you fell.
    Ahhh always think Todd is cute :)
    and Grace is adorable !
    Send you love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ((((( hugs))))) Thanks so very much Gloria. Love and hugs right back. xoxo

      Delete
  3. Marie you made me smile re the guitar.Last night we babysat 3 of the boys at Noahs home.His dad is a guitarist and one hangs in their living room..I like it there☺️But I get you..my style is not guitar on the wall style..Thanks for the laugh..but I love it at her house.
    How lovely you have a pic of all the kids..I will go read..Grace is your grace🙂My Littles have been the best medicine on earth on any given day .The faces❤️❤️Love the ceramics..is that a Girl that you put flowers in her head?I love them for some reason..take care....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe if it was a beautiful Spanish guitar or some such . . . but in all truth not even then. Perhaps in a rumpus room, lol. Babies are always good medicine. Having Ariana so close by has been a great blessing! That is indeed a small vase. I love things like this also. No surprise. We are very much the same. xo

      Delete
  4. Now Marie, there are attractive ways to hang instruments such as guitars!! But my, did you fall down in a faint when you saw where Todd put it?? Oh dear...men!!
    I read your lovely writing about your mom and I thought you did such a good job!!! Excellent in fact!! And how blessed you are that she was YOUR mom!! In days to come, I hope you find peace and comfort from the FATHER, in ways that humans cannot quite comfort. And such lovely pals you have in your friends there who share the darling baby Grace with you...bless them too!! And if you have such great treats for her, no doubt in a year or so, Grace will fuss to come see you!!!
    Hugs, Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was gobsmacked for lack of a better word Elizabeth, but I have to say he was very gracious in taking it down. I really do hope that Grace will enjoy coming to see me. xoxo

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you have a pic of all your kids together Marie! Kids are great to have around, esp when your feeling down! I'm speaking from experience now! I miss the neighbors kids, they moved b4 Christmas. Love and hugs! J xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!