Tuesday 6 November 2012

The Simple Woman's Day Book


FOR TODAY, November 6th, 2012...

Outside My Window...

  The day is waking up and it is cold. I saw on the news last night that sunset would be at 4:26 today.  I don't like it when it starts getting dark that early . . . this time of year I have to do all of my cooking in the mornings because I like to take my food photos in natural light . . . and it's just not there in the late afternoon. 

I am thinking...

Source: imdb.com via Jennifer on Pinterest

.
Sad that Downtown Abby is finished again for this year, although there is the promise of another Christmas special on Christmas Day.  I know it is a romanticized version of what was life in that time . . . but I do love it so.  I shall just have to console myself with the dvd's until Season 4.  I won't talk about what happened on Season 3 on here because I don't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen it.  Let's just say it's a cracker!!

I am thankful for...

Friends and family who are there for me always, no matter when, no matter what.  I am blessed.

From the kitchen... 



There are still a few of these left, but I am trying hard to resist.  It's so hard to be good sometimes.  There were particularly yummy.  I should have sent the leftovers home with the missionaries.  Next time I will.

I am wearing...  




I wish I was wearing this . . . but alas I am not. I am just wearing my old pink M&S nightie and my slippers.  I do have a romantic streak and I love nothing more than lacy romantic type of clothes.  I just don't have a body that is suited to wearing them.  I would end up looking like a very fluffed up tussy mussy!  Quite ridiculous I am sure!

I am creating...  




The good news is that I finished my Christmas Cook-booklet and it is now for sale.   I am already planning my next one. It will be a Valentines one I think.  I do so love Valentines Day.

I did get all of my prints and cards into the Gallery in Chester, so will be interested in seeing if I get any sales.  I am working at making more Matchbook Dolls for the miniature show they will be having in March.



This picture is making me wish I had kiddos around the house so that I could do this for them.  What fun!!! It's a Drive Inn movie for kids!  I just think this is the sweetest ever idea!  I wish my babies were still babies so I could do this!  Well, I will probably get called into Primary again one day . . . so I can tuck this up my sleeve for then.  We could to a BOM video Drive In Movie day.

Source: flickr.com via Gina on Pinterest

Also love Loving these cupcake pin cushions!!

I am going... 
 I have a meeting this afternoon, and then tomorrow I am getting my hair cut in the afternoon and then I have a Presidency Meeting in the evening.  On Friday the other set of missionaries are coming for supper.  I don't think I have any other plans, but we shall see how the week develops!  I will most probably fill it up with something!

I am reading...

Borrowed Light, by Carla Kelly
Julia Darling never expected to cook for some cowboys in Wyoming, but when she breaks off her engagement in Salt Lake City, it's the perfect opportunity for her to escape. Determined to stick the job out, Julia faces her biggest challenge yet - letting go of borrowed light to find her own testimony. Set in the early 1900s.

I am really enjoying this book!  It is a historical romance, but without the smut, and very entertaining.  The characters are very real and the main character is a cook!  Absolutely loving this.  It's refreshing and funny and interesting!  The characters are sweet, loveable and believable.  The perfect escape.

 

Jesus, a novel,  by Walter Wangerin Jr

With eloquence and beauty, the award-winning author of Book of the Dun Cow, The Book of God, and Paul: A Novel turns his pen to history’s most compelling figure: Jesus of Nazareth. In vibrant language, Walter Wangerin Jr. sweeps away centuries of tradition and reveals a man of flesh-and-heart immediacy. Passionate, intelligent, and irresistibly real, this is a Jesus pulsing with life who will captivate you as thoroughly as he did the men and women who walked with him across Galilee’s golden countryside.
Days of centuries past become today, lit with bright colors of the imagination. Wangerin shows you Jesus through the eyes of the two people who were with him at very the foot of the cross, the two who knew and loved him best: John the apostle, and Jesus’ beloved mother, Mary. . . .

 I am reading this one on my Kindle.  I've read it before, but wanted to read it again.  It's a fab book.  He is a brilliant writer.  I've also read his "Book of God."  Another fab read!  He brings the scriptures to life in a wonderful way.

I am hoping...
I am hoping that I can come up with twelve fresh new ideas for Additional Meetings for our Relief Society for next year!  I need to have it sorted by December!

I am hearing...
Nothing new really.
I can hear the boiler running. Clocks ticking.  Mitzie snoring.  Computer keys ticking.  The usual, punctuated by the odd car which drives by.


Around the house...



Source: houzz.com via Marie on Pinterest


I am really loving this country style kitchen.  Trying to think of how I could do something like that here in my own tiny kitchen.  Where there's a will, there's a way!  I believe that!!  I think it's so fresh and pretty.  I do love good old fashioned country charm.




Love, LOve, LOVE this refrigerator, but I'd have to win the lottery to get one, because first I'd have to buy a house large enough to put it in!  It's huge!!  I wonder how hard it would be to find anything in it??

One of my favourite things . . .  





I confess . . . I've enjoyed a life-long love affair with ribbon.  I just adore ribbon.  Any kind.  I snip those little ribbons off of the insides of the shoulders of sweaters and tops, and I save them.  Ribbons on chocolate boxes . . . saved.  Any kind of ribbon from any source . . . saved.  The worst thing is . . . then I can't use them, because I love them so much . . . I want to keep them.  Am I alone in this?? Please tell me I am not!


Something new about me ...
I hate finding kinky, extra curly or coarse hairs on my head.  If I find one I have to pull it out.  I sit there looking for them while I am watching the telly.  It annoys Todd to distraction.  He doesn't like it . . . so then I stop, but then I sneak.  Yes, I am a rebel.

One of my guilty pleasures ...


Source: bing.com via Rachel on Pinterest


Sweetened children's cereals.  I just love them.  I like to eat them right out of the box, but I only ever rarely have them in the house, because if I do, I cannot resist them.

Pet Peeves... 

The way that people pick things up in the grocery shop and wander around doing the rest of their shopping, and then they change their minds and just leave said items wherever they happen to be, instead of taking it back to where it actually belongs.  More often than not it is something which should be refrigerated and you find it there tucked on top of the tins.  I have even seen them dropped into the freezer section.  These things obviously are no long fit for human consumption . . . or are they?  Even more distressing is the thought that a store clerk will then find them, after they have been just sitting out for hours and hours and just put them back.  UGH!  That is why I always take from the very back when it comes to perishables.  (Which probably annoys the store clerks!!)  I have it in my mind that the freshest of anything is at the very back, and I want the freshest possible. 

Here is picture thought I am sharing...


"How many slams in an old screen door?  Depends on how loud you shut it.  How many slices in a bread?  Depends on how thin you cut it.  How much good inside a day?  Depends how good you live 'em.  How much love inside a friend?  Depends how much you give 'em."
~Shel Silverstein

I thank God for my friends.  They come in all shapes and sizes and places.  I don't know where I would be without them.  I treasure them, each and every one of them.  I truly think of them as the family I get to pick for myself.  I can not even imagine where I would be today . . . were it not for that handful of friends who have given me a heart full of joy.

As a closing thought I would like to leave you with this:

"Don't postpone joy until you have learned all of your lessons.  Joy is the lesson."
~Allan Cohen
 
And there you have it . . . my day book for this week. Don't forget to hop on over to the Simple Woman to check out the other day book entries! (Or better yet, do a simple day book entry yourself! It's not that hard and I am betting you would enjoy it!   


  

Cooking in The English Kitchen today . . . A Tasty Gratin of Cavolo Nero.  
Lotsa, lotsa goodness in there!

Have a great day!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!