Thursday 10 March 2011

Allow me to prattle . . .



Dream not too much of what you'll do tomorrow,

How well you'll work another year.
Tomorrow's chance you do not need to borrow . . .
Today is here.
Talk not too much of some new endeavour
You mean to make a little later on.
Who idles now, will idle on forever,
Until life is gone.
Swear not some day to break some habit's fetter
When this old year is passed away.
If you have need of living wiser, better,
Begin today.
~unknown

I found this little poem and it really made me think. How many of wish away our todays, hoping and wishing for better tomorrows. The past is done and dusted. We cannot do anything about it. Tomorrow may never happen and is in it's place. All we really have is today. Today is what will one day be our past, and is what once was our future. We need to make all of our today's the very best days that we can . . . so that we have no regrets when one day we look back on them. So that we do not waste them. We need to squeeze all the life out of them that we can . . . while we can. Just a bit of food for thought.



I slept really well last night and woke up early this morning. My knee seems to have settled a lot now and it is not so uncomfortable. I should be able to have a bath this afternoon. Yay!! I love my baths. I would rather have a shower, but you just can't have everything can you? I had a pleasant day yesterday just puttering and resting. I think you need a day like that every once in a while, don't you? A day to reflect and relax, and put the world to right.

I played a bit with my doll's house so look for a new story there soon. It's just so much fun. It really is. I find it quite relaxing as well . . . moving things around, putting some things away and taking others out. I need to start thinking Easter there. It won't be long now. (Note - I have updated the doll's house. You can read all about it HERE.)



I did a few sketches. I've been thinking seaside and mother's day. It is reflected in my work. Maybe nobody will ever want my little paintings, but I do enjoy creating them, and that is what counts. I also have the doll cut out for my granddaughter. I just have to sew it together now. I am looking forward to that as I have not sewn anything in a while now.

I sat and missed Angie for a bit as well. Thought about all the laughs we had shared together and the tears . . . I really must call Keith and see how he is getting on. He must really be lonely without her. If I miss her, it must be so much worse for him.



It is right about a year ago now that we lost our Jess. I thought of her for a bit. One of my kind readers contacted me several weeks back, and I kept meaning to show you this. She has done an oil painting of our Jess from one of the pictures that I had posted on here. I hope that she does not mind me showing it to you. Her name is Annalisa and she does beautiful work, which you can see here. I was so very touched that she would do something like that for me, a stranger. I am so impressed with her talent. I predict good things for her. I love this portrait. Seeing it made both Todd and I smile in remembrance of this lovely pet of ours that brought us so much joy. This reminded me of that special day, Todd's Birthday and how happy she was celebrating it with us. I think Annalisa captured perfectly the essence of Jess in this. It just exudes love and joy.

Over and over again during this past year I have been touched and uplifted by all the love of my friends and readers. I like to think of each you as being one of God's angels here on earth. I guess we all are meant to be His hands here on earth, are we not? It is only in the ministering to and in serving others that our lives becomes meaningful and where we can find true and lasting joy. At least that is the way I feel about life and our purpose here . . .

Anyways, I am prattling on now so will end this with a tasty recipe as I always do. Muffins. Apple Cinnamon muffins. You just can't go wrong with a delicious muffin for breakfast or brunch, can you?



*Apple Muffins*
Makes 12
Printable Recipe

A deliciously moist muffin stogged full of apples and cinnamon. Great for breakfast or brunch.

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 large free range egg, slightly beaten
1 medium (1 cup) apple, finely chopped

Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/gas mark 5. Butter a 12 cup muffin pan well, or line with paper liners. Set aside.

Whisk the flour,, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon together in a medium bowl. Add all the remaining ingredients at once. Stir together just until moistened. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups dividing it equally amongst them.

Bake for 18 to 23 minutes or until well risen and lightly browned. Let stand in pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Serve warm with some butter for spreading, if desired. Store in a tightly covered container. You may reheat in the microwave for 10 to 15 seconds if you wish.



Over in The English Kitchen today, a little something I like to call Chinese Hash.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Marie! So glad you knee is doing better, and that you got some good rest! :o) LOVE that portrait of Jess... it is sooo sweet, so her! :o) I will never forget when we came to meet you in Kent and got to meet your Jess. What a lovely, gently, loving soul she was. Apple muffin... mmm... that sounds good. It's snowing her today. Here just yesterday some rain was starting to wash some snow away... now it's coming back--LOL! Can't wait to see more about your doll house--what a fun project! Hope you, Todd & Mitzie are having a lovely day there. LOTS YOU LOTS ((BIB HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marie, so glad to hear your knee is better. I am also glad you have been taking it easy and playing and painting and just thinking about Angie and Jess. I love these kind of days and am having a few in a row with Jim over taking care of Hazie until Sunday. I miss him but am enjoying the relaxation and quiet too.

    The painting of Jess is amazing! What a beautiful thing for your friend to do. Just delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prattle away! I enjoyed getting caught up today! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course I do not mind at all that you posted the photo of the painting! In fact I am honored and feeling all warm-and-fuzzy that you wanted to post it. And now I really want to make those delicious-looking apple muffins. After the week I've had, some relaxing baking is exactly what I need!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!