Monday 14 September 2009

The Simple Woman's Day Book . . .



FOR TODAY, September 14th, 2009 ...

Outside My Window...

The sun is just peeking up over the horizon. What a change this is from even a few weeks ago. The days are drawing in so quickly now. I am waking up in darkness and coming home from work in darkness. I can see signs of change all around me now . . . the plants in the garden are browning up and dying off . . . their blooms quickly turning to seed heads . . . getting ready for the big winter sleep ahead. Conchers are getting ready to fall down from the chestnut trees, whilst the leaves are beginning to turn. I miss the vibrant colours from back home . . . the deep reds and oranges . . . but it is beautiful here just the same.

I am thinking...
About the lovely walk that Todd, Jess and myself took across the Orchards early last evening. It was quite cool, but pleasant nonetheless. Jess loves to chase apples. Anything that is round is a ball to her and she had picked one up very early on during our walk. After a time it was broken in half and so Todd threw it off into one of the bushes. A bit later we could not see Jess anywhere. We called and we called . . . finally we saw her white legs and white tipped tail bouncing through the orchard towards us . . . in her mouth the broken apple. She had the exact same one and had been searching for it. She did it each time we tried to get rid of it. No matter where Todd threw it, she dug it out and was carrying it in her mouth. Right now . . . it sits at the end of our drive . . . Dogs are amazing creatures, are they not?

I am thankful for...
I have such a special life. I know that I work very hard where I work, and long hours, but I am so blessed to have a job at a time when many others are losing or have lost theirs. I have a comfortable home and plenty to eat . . . boy do I have plenty to eat! We did up our Christmas Cards at the weekend to send to the two children in Africa that we sponsor. We always include a monetary gift for each of them and for their families. We always get pictures back early in the next year showing us what our gift has bought. It does my heart good to see their smiling faces and to know that, in however small a way, we have been able to make a big difference in someone else's life.

From the kitchen...
There's lots of nummies to share. Nummies are better shared don't you think??? I am thinking a nice big bowl of oatmeal for breakfast in a little bit. I never liked oatmeal when I was a girl, but I have come to love it now. Funny how that goes . . .

I am wearing...
Pink knit pajamas with sheep on them. Yes, I'm back to my warmer pajamas now. It's been cooling off nicely in the evenings and a bit cooler in the mornings. I do hope we don't have to start using the heat for a while yet though. That always seems so final . . .


I am creating...



I did another design for a Christmas Card yesterday. I think I am going to sell them in groups of six this year. Six assorted for a tenner, I think. You can see the whole design here if you like. It felt so good to paint something. I am sorting out a pattern to make a doll of one of my character drawings. I have it pretty much planned now and only have to dig out my sewing machine . . . once I have some time to do so that is!

I am going...
There is seminary this week, as well as Young Women's mutual. I am not sure what we are doing in the Mutual Activity. In any case it should be fun. We have a really small group this year. Basically we only have the one girl coming out. It's kind of sad for her really. I wish we had more . . . I have two seminary students, brothers. They are good lads and so smart. We're studying the Book of Mormon this year. I'm enjoying it a lot. I think it's good to study the scriptures . . . to feast on their words. Everytime I read them, I am able to bring out some new wisdom, something else that I hadn't noticed before . . . that's pretty amazing I think!

I am reading...



Life in the Scottish Coal Mines, or any coal mine, was a horrible existance for any human being. I am still reading this book which follows the journey of several families who made the move from this hopeless existance, to the city of Edinborough and on across the Atlantic Ocean to America, culminating in the long trek across the American Plains to find the "Promised Land" which lay in a valley between two mountains. It's a fascinating and riveting historical novel about some of the early Scottish pioneers in the LDS church and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I highly recommend, even if you aren't a member of the church. To think that people once had to live and work under those conditions in the coal mines is mind boggling. I'll never complain about any job I have to do again! Todd is reading a book written by Gerald Lund called The Undaunted, which is on a similar theme. I got it for him for his birthday and it's been signed by the author. We've both read pretty much all of Gerald Lund's books. He's a wonderful author.

I am hoping...
My mother is going in to have her second eye operated on tomorrow. I am really hoping that this operation goes better than the last one. She is still not seeing well after that one. One of her friends is staying with her to help her afterwards. It is at times like this that I really hate living so far away . . .

I am hearing...
It's all very quiet except for a magpie making a big ruckus in the garden and the ticking clock on the wall. It sits right above the computer . . . the clock that is. It is a teapot with a teacup pendulum and was one of the first things we bought together for our home when we got married almost 9 years ago now. It made me smile then, and it makes me smile now.

Around the house...
Not a lot has gone on this past week, except for the things that had to be done. Hopefully things will look up this coming week!

One of my favorite things...
is collecting salt and pepper shakers. I have quite a few sets now. I have always loved them. Each set is so very unique and different from the rest. When I was a girl there was a restaurant in my town called the Shaker Restaurant and it had a whole wall filled with salt and pepper shakers. I think that is when I first fell in love with them. Sometimes after school we would gather in one of the booths and have a coke and a gossip. I used to oggle the salt and pepper shakers. They were far more interesting to me than the boys that hung around. hmmm . . . wierd I know!

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week...
Work, painting and cooking, with a dash of Seminary and Mutual thrown in. I am also hoping to get some sewing in. We shall see!!!

Here is picture thought I am sharing...



Some of the corn flowers in our garden that are blooming so well right now and providing a bit of colour. I was so surprised to see them. Our Sweet peas had not been doing well and so Todd threw in some of these corn flower seeds and lo and behold, they ended up being scattered amongst the sweet peas, which finally started to bloom . . . little pockets of blue amidst the other blooms. Pretty, very pretty. I love old fashioned blooms the most of all . . . I guess I'm just a gal with simple tastes.

And there you have it, my Simple Woman's Day Book for today. Don't forget to hop on over to the Simple Woman to check out the other day book entries! (Or better yet, do a simple day book entry yourself! It's not that hard and I am betting you would enjoy it!)

I made Todd and myself a delicious Tagine for our supper last night. A Tagine is just another word for Moroccan Casserole. I like the word Tagine better though . . . it sounds much more exotic. I don't have a regular tagine dish, so I just use my Dutch oven. It works much the same. I don't think I'd be able to use a Tagine with my halogen burners anyways. Does anyone know?




*Autumn Chicken Tagine*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

I love Tagines. I don't have a regular tagine dish, so I just always cook this in my dutch oven. I like to think it comes out tasting the same regardless, but if you do have a tagine, use it by all means! The chicken gets meltingly tender and the sweet potatoes and squash all juicy and flavourful with the merest hint of spice. This goes very well with couscous, barley, rice or ebly.

olive oil
8 chicken pieces
3 large red onions, peeled and chopped
5 fat cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
2 cinnamon sticks broken in half
1 pound of winter squash, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
a small bunch of fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
a small handful of fresh mint leaves, chopped

Place a bit of olive oil in the bottom of a large flameproof casserole or dutch oven, or tagine. When it is hot add the chicken pieces in batches and brown all over. Remove and keep warm. Add the onions to the drippings. Cook, stirring, until soft and then add the garlic and cinnamon. Cook until fragrant. Stir in the squash and sweet potatoes. Return the chicken to the pan. Add the stock and bring to the boil. Cover tightly, reduce to a simmer and cook for about 40 minutes or until the chicken is tender. Season with some salt and pepper. Scatter the parsley and mint over top and serve.



This was dessert. Caramelized Pears with Mascarpone Cream. Check it out on The English Kitchen. This my absolute most favourite dessert of all time, and that says a lot!

10 comments:

  1. I feel the effects of shorter days already. It is dark when I'm going to work too, but still daylight when I come home. My work day is not as long as yours. I am here at 7 and leave at 4 in the afternoon. I love the blue corn flowers and had not seen them before. Have a good Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a tagine which I love. However mine can only be used in an oven. There are more expensive ones available in Australia that may be used on the stove top. The Morrocan ones have to be soaked before use.

    I have never been to work in the dark and gone home in the dark. It sounds miserable.

    Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Marie! What a sweet start to the week... These early autumn days are lovely, aren't they? We are relishing them too. Sounds like you have a good mix of work and fun on for the week... And your new reading sounds very good! That tagine looks terrific...and I can't wait to see about those pears at your English Kitchen. And to take a better peek at your latest artwork--so sweet! Hope very much we get a chance to chat during the week! LOVE YOU HEAPS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it fun to do a Daybook entry? I have started a blog for just those and it is fun to go back to various weeks and see what I actually did and was thinking then. It is one of the best ways to journal everyday life. Love that. Right after reading this I plan to go over and get my done!

    I too have switched back to warmer PJs and hated oatmeal as a kid. Funny how getting to know the little things about people is intriguing.

    Have a great day, Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marie just stumbled on to your site. Very nice. I plan on following this and your kitchen. I live in the country in Nebraska and it is my dream to get to Europe some day. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Marie -

    I hope everything goes well with your mom's operation - I will say a prayer for her.

    I love that Christmas artwork you did - so cute! And I love it when the weather cools off at night and I can snuggle down into my bed!

    Have a wonderful week friend!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Monday dear,
    I am surprised that you are having short days already. Ours are still quite long...but we have had some cooler days this past week which is nice. Our wild fires are slowing down and should be contained by Fri. The sky is looking blue again. I hope that this is the last of the fires.. but I am afraid that we will have more when the santa ana winds start.

    I love your new little Christmas girl. You are so talented. Good luck on making your doll. I can't wait to see it.

    Jess sounds like a fun dog. The apple story makes me smile. Dogs are so funny. Our Heidi won't chase a ball. We wish that she would. She is 10 years old and needs more excercise. We throw the ball and she sits by us and watches it go. We run over and pick it up and throw it again....and she watches us retrieve it. There is something wrong with that picture. ???

    Have a good week my slender friend. I am so proud of you.
    I send love. Lura

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always love your posts! This time I enjoyed your walk and the tale of Jess and the apple which reminded me of a chocolate chip cookie buried in our yard by my mom's poodle, before they went back to Idaho. Six months later when they came again to visit, Sadie ran to the exact spot and dug up her cookie! LOL
    I can't wait to read "The Undaunted." Two of my husbands GGG and GG grandfathers played important roles and our new baby grandson carries the same name which continues to be passed down. We have the book which tells the history of "The hole in the Rock". I was reading it Sunday. Our niece married one of the 'Lyman' decendants. So her children are doubly blessed with the rock ancestry. We are thinking about getting each of our children their own copies for Christmas and for their Family History.
    Pioneers everywhere are incredible people.
    Thanks for ALL you share!

    Hugs~♥

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!