Thursday 3 September 2009

Mostly About Food today . . .



What a windy and yucky day we have out there today! It's no surpise that we are right on the cusp of Autumn! I expect there will be a lot of apples blown off the trees today, which is . . . umm . . . good news for those of us who frequent the orchards this time of year and love to avail ourselves of the windfalls!

I can remember when I was a girl, eating green apples off of a tree with a friend of mine and being sick afterwards for hours with a tummy ache. Serves us right for stealing apples doesn't it? Nevermind, we learned an important lesson there. Never pick apples and eat them until they are ripe for the picking . . . and more important than that, if you take something that doesn't belong to you, there is always a consequence to be paid.



I was contacted by a lady named Victoria the other day who is representing Kerrymaid Garlic Butter. I get offers from her from time to time and I am always more than happy to oblige. This time she passed on to me that they have a few free hampers to give away to someone who could come up with a great recipe to use their product. I thought to myself, hmmm . . . I can do that! Easy Peasy Lemon Squeasy. I had so many ideas it was hard to pin it down to just one, but I think this will do.



Keep your fingers crossed for me, I'd just love a free food hamper, wouldn't you? If perchance I win, I'll pass on some of the goodies to you. It's a Win/Win situation. I love that!



*Chicken Caesar Salad Pizza*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Don't you just love it when you are able to bring together two of your favourite things you love and they work together in such a delicious way?

1 12-inch thin crust pizza crust (your own or purchased)
2 cups of cooked chicken, cut into cubes
2 ounces thinly sliced proscuitto ham
1 cup of shredded medium cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded harvarti cheese
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1/2 cup good quality Caesar Salad Dressing (I use Hellman's)
a handful of oil cured, dry pitted black olives
For The Salad:
1 head of shredded Cos Lettuce (Romaine)
a handful of rocket leaves (arugula)
2 spring onions (scallions) thinly sliced
1 TBS fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup caesar salad dressing
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
For the Garlic Croutons:
2 large crusty white or whole wheat rolls
1 sachet of Kerrymaid Garlic Butter*
salt and black pepper to taste

Pre-heat the oven to 205*C/425*F. If you are using your own homemade crust, take out a large baking tray and lightly grease it. Spread the crust out onto the tray into a large thin rectangle, about 9 inches by 15 inches in size. Prick it all over with a fork, and then bang it into the pre-heated oven for about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven. (If you are using a purchased crust, place it onto a large baking sheet)

Take the first quantity of salad dressing, and spread it evenly over top of the partially baked crust. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese evenly over top, along with the harvarti. Scatter the cooked chicken and black olives over top as well. Top with the grated Parmesan cheese.

Return to the oven and bake for a further 20 minutes, or until the crust is nicely browned, and the cheese is bubbling.

While the pizza is baking make your croutons. Cut your rolls into 1 inch chunks. Melt the butter in a large skillet, and toss in the bread chunks when it starts to sizzle. Season with some salt and pepper if desired and give them a good stir. Cook, stirring, until nicely golden and crisp. Remove from the heat and set aside.

About 5 minutes before the pizza is ready to come out of the oven, place your salad leaves in a large bowl. Toss together with the onions, lemon juice and the salad dressing.

Remove the pizza from the oven. Let sit for 5 minutes before topping with the dressed salad leaves. Sprinkle with the grated Parmesan and the garlic croutons. Cut into quarters to serve.

Note* If you can't get the Kerrymaid garlic butter, you may use a combination of 2 TBS good quality olive oil and 2 fat cloves of garlic crushed. Just heat the oil along with the garlic until it gets very fragrant. Discard the garlic and proceed as per the recipe.

*Thin Crust Pizza Dough*
Makes 2 twelve inch crusts
Printable Recipe

I love a thin crust on a pizza, slightly crispy and not too doughy. This fits the bill on all counts.


2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (may substitute whole wheat flour for 1 cup of the all-purpose)
1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup warm water, with 1 tsp sugar dissolved into it
1 tablespoon olive oil
cornmeal, for sprinkling on the pan


Put the warm water into a large bowl along with the sugar, stirring to dissolve. Sprinkle the yeast over top and let it sit for aobut 10 minutes until it gets all foamy. give it a stir. Add the flour, salt and olive oil all at once. Mix in well and then dump it out onto a lightly floured board
and knead it for about 6-8 minutes until you have a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic, adding a bit more flour if you need to. Shape into a round smooth ball.

Wash out the bowl with warm water and dry. Grease with a little olive oil and then put the dough into this bowl, turning it once to coat it with the olive oil. Cover and let sit in a warm place for about 20 to 30 minutes.

Lightly grease with shortening two 12-inch pizza pans. Sprinkle each with some cornmeal.
Divide the dough in half and place each half on a pizza pan. Spread and pat it out with your fingertips until it stretches to fit the whole pan, making it a bit thicker around the edges. Prick it all over with a fork.

If desired, pre-bake at 200*C/425 *F for 10 minutes, then spread with pizza sauce and use the toppings of your choice. We like to use three cheeses, a really good Parmesan, a good fresh mozzarella and some grated cheddar. We then use meats such as pepperoni, lightly fried bacon and salami. We also like to use some olive cured sun dried tomatoes drained and cut into strips, as well as some really good dry cured black olives. Some chopped sweet pickled little hot cherry peppers are a must as well, with a final dusting of Parmesan cheese on the top.
Bake at 425 F for 10-20 minutes longer or until bubbly and hot.

*If you don't want to use all the dough, you can freeze it. Take a portion of dough, form into a ball, rub olive oil over it and place it in a freezer bag (the oil makes it easier to take out of the bag). When you want to make a pizza, take the dough out of the freezer and allow to thaw before using.



If after that you are desiring something for your sweet tooth, and really . . . how could you not be . . . pop on over to The English Kitchen for some really scrummy Coconut Slices!

17 comments:

  1. Oh, such fun, Marie...Do hope you win! Finger, toes, everything crossed you'll be the lucky winner! LOVE the salad-pizza recipe today--beautiful. I've used smoked salon to replace chicken in a Caesar salad to delicious result, so might try with the pizza too. Hope you're having a good week, my friend...and hope we get to catch up soon! :o) LOVE YOU HEAPS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pizza looks lush! Good luck to with the competition! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing coincidence that twice recently you've posted something very, very similar to one of my favourite sites, Simply Recipes, within hours! (Caesar salad today, and tomato pie a couple of weeks ago). Do you read it too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just finished blogging about the very same competition and product! Great opportunity and fun isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck, I hope you win!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is an amazing co-incidence Nicola, but I hate to disappoint you. I'm not sure what you are trying to say, but the Tomato Pie recipe is one that I have had for many years. In fact you can see it here on my Recipezaar page, where I posted it on May 12th 2005. As far as the Chicken Caesar Salad Pizza recipe goes, that is also one of mine that I had posted previously on my Marie's Muses blog over on AOL, back on the 13th of November in 2007. Any of my readers who have been with me for a long time will know this is so as they will remember it. Just so you know. Technically I don't really think a Chicken Caesar Salad Pizza is the same as a Caesar salad, but to each their own!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ps, you can see the recipe on my recipezaar page at this link:

    http://www.recipezaar.com/Country-Tomato-Pie-121734

    And you will note the date of my posting it at the bottom of the recipe name. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marie, I was so sad to read the comment you just replied to. This is the closest I have ever heard you get to cross - and so would I have been. Nicola the Anonymous must be trying to make a name for herself!

    I could eat garlic butter by the spoonful. Let's hope your recipe gets a prize.

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh good luck Marie - your recipe sounds lovely and the chocolate in the hamper looks lovely as well! Mussels and garlic butter would be nice too x

    ReplyDelete
  10. good luck marie-i hope you win!!! that hamper is so cute and would be so useful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Marie. Thanks for replying, but really there was no need to be defensive! I was truly just asking if you read Simply Recipes, a wonderful site, since you have posted similarly to Elise a couple of times.

    To Angie, I'm not sure why that would make you cross, and I'm certainly not anonymous!

    Sorry to have caused such a ruffle of feathers, ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. NO worries Nicola. It's very easy to misunderstand one's motive on the computer when you cannot see another's face. I apologize if I jumped to the wrong conclusion. I do read Elise's page and I love her recipes as well. I honestly felt that you were bringing my integrity into question here, which I think is a fairly easy conclusion to jump to when reading what you had written. I try to be as honest as I can with my readers and I just didn't get what you were implying. Your words sound like you were implying that I was posting Elise's recipes as my own, and nothing could have been further from the truth. I always try give credit where credit is due. I do hope that you will continue to visit my page and again accept my apologies for having taken what you wrote the wrong way. Clearly from your response you had not meant what I thought you had!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not at all Marie, the recipes are obviously different and I certainly didn't intend to make unsavoury (if you'll excuse the pun) accusations. It truly was an amazing coincidence to me to twice visit two sites I enjoy very much and find very similar thoughts running through both! My apologies for not having made myself clear, but I AM pleased to hear that you read Simply Recipes!

    I have been reading this site for quite some time, as well as your English Kitchen site more recently, and very much enjoy your stories and trying out some of your ideas. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whew Nicola! I truly am sorry to have jumped to the wrong conclusion. It is so easily done. I am glad that you enjoy my page. That's why I do it. I hope you will continue to visit, and that this hasn't soured your "taste" for me! (Another pun, lol.) Boy, I feel better now, and I hope that you do too! I do love Elise's page and actually get her newsletter, although oddly enough I didn't get the one today with the caesar salad. I had to go to her page to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Marie
    I hope you win. We eat chicken caesar salad a lot . I can't wait to try out your chicken caesar salad pizza!
    Hope you had a good day today
    Hugs, Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  16. Homemade croutons are one of my weaknesses! (I toss mine with parmesan cheese after they've browned.)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!