Monday 29 January 2024

Small and Wonderful Things . ..

 




"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 


 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.


 


Its just gone six thirty in the  morning and I have a loaf of bread starting in the bread machine. A honey and oatmeal loaf.  I've done my Twitter, my Instagram and my newsletter. Prayers have been said. The cats have been fed (that happens as soon as I get up) and also treated. (I always throw a few treats for them to chase in the morning.)  Snow is falling. My heat pump is purring. My day is off to a good start.


 


Church on Sunday.  I don't always feel like going.  There are some Sundays when I would just love to go back to bed. Yesterday was one of those, but I got dressed and went anyways.  Experience has taught me that if I did go back to bed I wouldn't be able to sleep anyways, and that going to church on Sunday mornings is one of the best ways to start or end my week, depending on which end  you look at it. I am always blessed for doing so, spiritually well fed, inspired.

Yesterday's lesson in Relief Society was based on a talk by Elder Renlund from the last conference entitled Jesus Christ is the Treasure. It was a great talk and a wonderful lesson was taught from it.   

At one point during the lesson we were asked to think about how we felt about the Savior, what impressions came to our  mind.  Right away I thought "HE sees ME."  And I knew in my heart that that was true.  I felt it.  I am not invisible to Him.  I matter. I count.  I am His. He loves me.

At a time when much of the world would tell us we are nothing in the scheme of things, how wonderful it feels to be seen and to matter.



Meet Gus.  A friend of mine from church's cat had kittens. Cindy and Dan are getting one of them. Little Gus.  He looks very much like their Gary who passed away last year at the age of 19.  They fell in love with him from the get-go.  He could not be coming to a nicer, more loving home.  Their eyes have just opened, so it will be a number of weeks before they are able to bring him home.  They had not really planned on getting a kitten, but the heart wants what the heart wants.   Praying all goes well for everyone concerned. He's adorable.  My friend sent me a video of him this morning getting a bath from his mum. So sweet.



I hope that you can see it.  I think you will agree. He is adorable.


 

My friend Jo and I are having a facetime at noon.  Jo was the housekeeper at the Manor when I first started working there. She became a very good friend and is a very good friend, still. She left the Manor to become a Chiropodist about 3 years after I started working there. We have not had a facetime in 3 months or so.  She just got back from a holiday visiting her sister in Lanzarote.  She went with her daughter. Girls trip. I can't wait to hear about it! We have much to catch up on.

My friend Tina facetimed me on Saturday night. That was lovely also. Oh how much I cherish these lasting friendships I made when I was in the U.K. There is Carolyn also and I still chat with my next door neighbor Maxine from time to time as well.  Treasures.


 

The other day when we were at Dad's, he gave me his silver.  I have not really taken it out of it's wooden case yet and had a look at it, but at first glance my sister and I thought it looked a lot like our mother's silver, which my sister has.  Same pattern.  

That silver was our mother's pride and joy, along with her silver tea set. She only used it once a year, at Christmas. It was so special to her.  I don't recall her ever using the silver tea set. I wish I could remember how she came to have it.  I suspect it was a wedding gift.




I know I just shared this photo with you the other day, but let me share it again. My new sofa. I just love it. It is so comfortable.  I am so blessed and grateful for it.


 

Canada, the great white North.  I am so blessed to have spent most of my life in this wonderful country, and have been equally blessed to have been able to visit/live/travel across most of it.  It has its faults for sure, things which could and should be done better, but, overall, its not a bad place to have been born or to live.  I have been able to spend my life in peace.  I have never really known what it is like to live in fear, or to be in dire need of anything.  I have been blessed with a free education from an early age, free health care all of my life and now in my old age I have a pension, even if it is not very much.  It is something.  Clean water.  A roof over my head, etc.  I do not take any of these blessings for granted and see them for the gifts that they are. 

 


Sunday dinners with family.  Cindy picked up Dad yesterday and brought him to hers so we could all be together.  It is nice to be a part of a family.  To feel wanted and included. Again, once more  . . .  I AM blessed!


 

On a January night in our snowy valley, it is easy to have faith. It is so still and the snow falls quietly, like glitter in the street lights. The silvery tips of the spires from our village churches rise towards the sky, as the arms of the naked maples stretch open to catch every flake. The lights from a hundred kitchen windows at supper time glow and cast warm shadows on the snow beneath them. It is a simple thing to feel the comfort and warmth of the families that live within the walls of the homes they shine from and to imagine the laughter and love they hold.  We are the lucky ones  . . .  the blessed.

And with that I best leave you with a thought for the day.  I have much to do and to get done.  


A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*If we truly want peace in the world,
let us begin by loving one another
in our own families.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
~Mother Teresa° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •° * 。 • ˚ ˚ 



From my desk calendar this morning  . . . 






In The English Kitchen this morning.  Broccoli and Sweet Pepper Stir Fry.  A healthy side that is filled with color, flavor and crunch.  So tasty!


I hope your day and your week are filled with loads of small and wonderful blessings. May your cups run over with joy and peace, and most importantly, love.  Don't forget!


═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═════════     


And I do too!     
   


3 comments:

  1. Gus is so sweet looking, and going to a wonderful home. How lovely to have Facetime with friends so far away. Interesting about the silver, I'm sure you will check it out soon. Has your Dad thought of doing a trial run at Cindy's to see how it works out? You sure have been busy so early in the morning. What will you do for the rest of the day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that black furry chub a dog or another kitty sleeping ever-so soundly? Cute babies for sure. Have a great Monday.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!