Monday 22 January 2024

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 


"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 


 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.



I am so grateful that my father was not badly injured or killed in the car accident he had last week.  I know, that at age 90, we probably will not have him with us for too many years longer, but I am not ready to let him go. Selfish I know. He means the world to me. I wasn't able to spend the last years of my mother's life near her and I am so blessed to be able to spend these years near my father. I am so grateful that only his car was written off and that we were able to celebrate his 90th with him. God willing we will be able to celebrate more birthdays in the years to come. I love my father very much.

Yesterday it was five years since we said goodbye to mom. I feel her with me all the time anyways, but I will always be sad that I never got to say goodbye in person.





This is a great thought to have each morning when you open your eyes. Praising God for another day given. Another day to unwrap.  A fresh page to write your life upon.  Each new day is truly a gift.  




This is a great way to look at the dark times.  I have been through some very dark times and come through the other side, better, stronger.  I like to think they have been opportunities for growth.  I like to think they have helped me to become a better person.


 

Being able to go to church yesterday and partake of the sacrament.  To renew my covenants and take His name upon me. To listen to the talks that had been prepared lovingly by people, just for us.  To be able to sit in Sunday School and discuss the first chapters in the Book of Mormon, and exchange ideas, thoughts.  To be with the Saints in the act of worshipping God. There is no place I would rather be on a Sunday morning. Church is good.


 


Sunday dinners with family.  I longed for this for many years. To be able to sit down with family, at least once a week, and enjoy each other's company. That is no small thing. It means the world to me.



 


Everyone needs a place to call home, and I am most grateful for mine. It is the perfect place for me. People ask if I get lonely. The answer is no. I have surrounded myself with things that I love. I have two cats that I love.  A sister who is my best friend. And other family close by.  Friends from church. Good neighbors.  A good relationship with God. Books to read, etc. No, I don't get lonely or feel lonely. My life, heart and home are very full. I have been richly blessed.




Toast and Marmalade. Nectar of the Gods  . . . 


 

Something to warm your hands on.  Cold hands or cold feet for that matter. Never a good thing. If my hands or my feet are cold, then I am cold. Grateful for hot drinks and warm socks and slippers. Especially this time of year.

Some people think that if you are overweight then you never get cold.  Someone made that asinine comment to me yesterday.  She said that I probably didn't know what it was like to be really cold. DUH  Of course I do.  I get cold the same as anyone else.  Your nerve endings are in the skin, which is on the outside of your body.  That is where you feel things.

I don't think I would ever say such an insensitive thing to someone else. At least I hope that I would not. I can see myself in the mirror. I don't need reminding that I am overweight. I am very aware of that fact. Very aware.

Grateful to be me. Every single inch of me. I love me.  That is huge.  For many years I did not.

And with that I will leave you with a thought for the day.

A thought to carry with you . . .  

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*When things go wrong,
don't go with them.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
~unknown ° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ • 




In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Crispy Cheesy Refried Bean Tacos.  Delicious and very quick and easy to make!


I hope you have a week filled with abundance.  Go out. Be light to the world around you. Be loved. Be blessed. Be safe.  Don't forget!

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═════════     


And I do too!     
   

9 comments:

  1. As to feeling cold...yes, very insensitive comment...some folk do not know what to say so blather on...but I think how a person feels cold is individual to each person. I am fat, and one of my friends was way bigger than me and seemed super cold all the time, while I was ok. So I do not think body size has a thing to do with it. My super skinny brother wore the same clothes winter and summer, other than if it was below zero he might wear a jacket. Funny thing that... Good to hear your dad seems ok...accidents can cause us a lot of harm. I had to have laser surgery on 1 eye because of being hit by a semi truck over a year earlier...weird it took a year to show up. Both eyes bled, but 1 quit on its own thankfully. Oh well, no one gets out of this world totally unscathed it seems... But if he notices some weird shapes in his eyes, do get him checked out. Mine appeared to be see-thru white balloons overlapping each other. Those are gone now, but I am left with kind of a veil over both eyes...I can see, but it does cause me issues.
    Elizabeth xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are keeping a very close watch on him Elizabeth. You just never know with an accident like that. The EMT's did check him over at the accident site, but he declined to go to hospital for a more thorough check. I am sorry for your eye problems. ((((hugs)))) xoxo

      Delete
  2. Another new week starts with so much to be grateful for. Hoping you have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. I do have a lot to be grateful for. I hope your day has been likewise wonderful! xoxo

      Delete
  3. People used to be critical of my weight, so I cut back on the fried bean tacos and cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a really positive, kind and supportive comment. Big pat on the back to you. You are probably the same person who left me a comment a while back that said nothing but DIE DIE DIE a bazillion times. What a sweet person you are.

      Delete
  4. Marie, God bless your dad, I'm glad he's doing okay, and that he has you and your sister to take such good care of him. I love coming here to your blog and seeing all of your favorite things. :)d

    ReplyDelete
  5. I HAVE to put this remark here, Marie. My dad was quite proud of his maintaining a certain weight. (Embarrassed of his fat daughter...though I have learned that girls who are so abused by their dads often are fat, imagine that). So one day I had had enough. I told him, "I have heard that most people have 1 of 2 problems. Either what goes into their mouth, or what comes out. If I must have 1 of those problems, I choose what goes in!! Ended THAT conversation quickly!! HAHA!! It is a mistake to believe that thinness is next to godliness...often it is directly the opposite. Block those who try to abuse you Marie. It is ok.
    Elizabeth xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another lovely, inspirational post today. Glad your Dad is doing good…we all miss our Moms, don’t we…especially if we had the best…like you and I did. I’m sending good wishes for a delightful, safe week…January seems to be flying by quickly. Best, V.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!