Saturday 14 December 2019

The Christmas Concert . . .


My Daughter-in-law Kayla posted two videos of two of my grandson's school Christmas Concerts this week.  I was so pleased to see them.  That's the closest this Grandmother has ever gotten to see any of her Grandchildren performing at Christmas time. I think I have probably watched them a bazillion times now.  Jake was playing his recorder and singing Jolly Old Saint Nicholas along with his class, and Josh was singing that lovely old carol Silent Night with his class in two languages. 

Of course I thought they both did an
excellent job and was thrilled! 


It was lovely to see and hear that old traditions are still alive in small town Prince Edward Island with the singing of these old traditional Christmas tunes and carols. I can remember singing them at school at Christmas when I was a girl, so that is a very long time.  For me they are a part and a parcel of Christmas, and always will be an important part of mine. 

The Christmas Concert used to be the highlight of our school year when I was a child and indeed, when my own children were growing up.  Much was put into the production and performance of said occasions!  I have been the one on the stage and I have been the proud parent in the audience and I was so pleased this week to be the proud grandmother watching these lovely performances through the miracle of modern technology. 


My father was in the Royal Canadian  Air Force, and we were always stationed to an Armed Forces Base the whole of my growing up years.  I was born on Prince Edward Island and we spent time in Germany (who do Christmas beautifully), Gimli (Manitoba) and Greenwood (Nova Scotia.) My elementary school years were all spent in Gimli. Our school there was called Goulding School and it was an old metal WW2 Prefab building in the shape of an H.  There was no auditorium to do Christmas Concerts in, so every year a huge Christmas Concert would be held in the Base Theatre on the proper base area.  Of course all of the school classes got to perform and it culminated in a Nativity production at the end, but there were also individual performances given throughout the program that people had to audition for. 


My mother had been a great orator when she was growing up.  She actually won a speech competition at Acadia University in her last year of School for the whole of the Maritimes, bringing home a Silver Cup, that she was very proud of.  My brother has it now.  The handles had broken off, but I think he was having it repaired.  This silver cup was my mother's pride and joy. She had her photograph in the Newspaper and everything.  

One year, when I had turned 5 years old, she decided that I was going to audition for this special Christmas Concert.  She had me memorise a poem by Eugene Field entitled "Jest 'Fore Christmas." 


 


Father calls me William, sister calls me Will, 
Mother calls me Willie, but the fellers call me Bill! 
Mighty glad I ain't a girl - ruther be a boy, 
Without them sashes, curls, an' things 
that's worn by Fauntleroy! 
Love to chawnk green apples an' go swimmin' in the lake - 
Hate to take the castor-ile they give for belly-ache! 
'Most all the time, the whole year round, 
there ain't no flies on me, 
But jest 'fore Christmas I'm as good as I kin be! 

There were five long verses like the one above and amazingly enough I memorised them all!  I had them down pat and was able to deliver it complete with a little boy's mannerisms and plenty of expression.  My, how I wish a video had survived of that occasion.  I must have done a good job and so I was chosen to deliver an oration of "The Night Before Christmas," by Clarke Moore for  the Base Christmas Concert.  I would imagine they thought it a bit odd for a girl to be acting like a little boy, and the latter poem was much more appropriate! 



I spent days memorising and practising the tale, my mother coaching me all along the way.  I  had gestures and plenty of expression, and was not nervous at all.  In fact, I felt quite excited about it.  I felt a bit like Shirley Temple actually, who was my favourite child actor at the time. 

I can remember being back stage on the night and seeing everyone scurrying around getting their costumes and make-up done.  In particular I remember a set of teenage twin girls who were playing the fawners of King Herod on his throne in their Arabian nights costumes complete with silk veils and long fans. It was all very exciting!! 

I am happy to say that it went off without a hitch and for those few moments I was on the stage, I was Shirley Temple! I must have seemed quite precious when I think back on it now.  I can imagine that my mom and dad were quite proud of me, and I know I felt quite proud of myself.  Those feelings have stayed with me all of my life, so much so that I find myself telling you about them here this morning!  I can still recite 'Twas the Night Before Christmas' from beginning to end, and if you ask nicely I can even put in gestures such as holding my belly shaking like a bowl full of jelly, except that these days I do have a belly like a bowl full of jelly! ha ha  



As I got older I did get quite a bit shyer and would never have dreamt of participating in such a way.  I was in a speech competition  when I was 11, having won at the school level and the county level, going on to come third in the Provincials, but by then I was becoming very shy and I can remember it being an excruciating experience.  

To make a long story short, I am so grateful for my DIL posting those videos this week.  It meant the world for me to be able to see them!  We are popping over into Wales today to go and see Tina and Tony.  Tina is doing much better, although there was a bit of a scare this week with them thinking she had a deep vein thrombosis.  She is on blood thinners now, but is off to the hair dresser this morning to have her hair done, so things are going well.  I have a few goodies to bring to her. I am really looking forward to seeing her again! 



Oh, quickly before I go, we stopped in to visit some friends yesterday that we had not seen in a while and to bring them our Christmas Card and they gave us a Christmas Card that their little grand-daughter (Wynter Rose) had illustrated of Bethlehem.  What a wonderful idea for a Christmas card!  Why is it that Children's illustrations are so lovely like that.  We are not so critical of their efforts and are able to really see the beauty in them.  Would that we be more like that of everything!

A thought to carry with you . . . .  

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
As we seek Christ, as we follow Him,
We shall have the Christmas Spirit
not for one fleeting day each year,
but as a companion, always.
~Thomas S Monson •。★★ 。* 。 



Kresge's Light Fruit  Cake 

I baked a light fruitcake as well as my usual dark Christmas cake this year. You can find the recipe in The English Kitchen today  . . .  Kresge's Light Fruitcake. 

Have a wonderful Saturday! Stay safe and be happy!  Don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too! 




10 comments:

  1. Hi Marie, loved hearing about the Christmas concerts of your childhood. Brave girl to recite all those verses. We lived within walking distance of a Kresges and a Woolworths store. It was a real treat to have an egg salad sandwich served with potato chips at their lunch counter. An ice cold vanilla milkshake was heaven on a hot day. We loved the bakery counter, too. The ladies were in pristine white uniforms with a colourful hankie in the breast pocket. At Christmas they wore corsages much like the ones you pictured yesterday. Wonderful for you to see Jake and Josh participating in their Christmas concerts. Today we hope to get our tree up. I'm kind of behind schefule this year but we've never missed Christmas, yet, lol. Have a lovely weekend. Hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The miracles of modern Technology Elaine, they make life much better for me.I loved those old department stores. We had one in town called Steadmans and it had wooden floors that creaked when you walked on them. You could not skulk! A long double row with a cash at the centre in the middle of the store. Those were the days! We used to go to the lunch counter at the Metropolitan store and they had the best French Fries and Milk Shakes! Love and hugs and happy weekend wishes. I hope you get your tree up today. Oh how I would love to see it! xoxo

      Delete
    2. I remember Steadman stores. I'll send you a picture of our tree once it's up. We bought it at IKEA for $25 and you get a coupon for a $25 off a $100+ purchase after Christmas so if you use the coupon, free tree. We've always had good luck with them despite the fact they are wrapped and you can't unwrap them. Hope we are as lucky this year. Hugs, Elaine

      Delete
    3. Can't wait to see it Elaine! Its been a long time since we have had a real tree! They smell so nice! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Marie I was ike you! My mom was a great oartor..French and English.
    I loved learning things off by heart and reciting..and spelling bees.
    Our moms were something else:)
    And her natural calligraphy..everyone said no one wrote like her.
    How wonderful you got to seeyour grandchildren..and I love that card..Could se signed a grand master and I would have believed it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were so blessed to have the mothers we had Monique! I still love to learn things by heart, and I loved spelling bees also. I just love words! I am not surprised we are so much alike! Wynter's card is just so lovely. She was born with a heart defect and so is a lot smaller than other children her age. She's just so darned cute and has the most charming personality! xoxo

      Delete
  3. This week was the shared birthday of my hubby and our oldest granddaughter, a continent away. Due to skype we were able to talk with her and her sister for a bit. I too am grateful for technology!! Glad you were given this sweet gift from your daughter-in-law too!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just wonderful Elizabeth! Love and hugs. xoxo PS - Belated Birthday greetings to all!

      Delete
  4. I loved this special memories of your today. I really think it is awesome that you DIL sent those videos of the grandchildren performing; that is fantastic. I'm sure you had a precious time watching them.
    I can just picture you as a child performing. I can tell that you would be good at it. I did have one opportunity to do something similar. When I was in 9th grade, I narrated the Christmas program with memorizing Luke 2 and that was one of my only moments doing something like that. I was basically shy growing up.
    I too like the idea of using a drawing of children for a Christmas card.
    I do hope you had a great time with your friends today.
    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LeAnn! We did enjoy our friends and Tina is doing so well. Bless her heart, she had even made us lunch. I was surprised. I did not expect her to do that. Love and hugs to you! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!