Saturday 3 August 2019

August . . .


It is hard to believe that we are already into August and that our summer is fast fading away. The days fly by so very quickly and I am ever cognizant of the fact that all too soon it will be autumn and then the winter will be fast on autumn's heels.

I think I would weary though . . . of a forever summer . . . with changeless weather and a sun's unfading glow . . . If there were always roses blooming in my garden, they would not call to my heart with such words of joy and praise . . . and the sweetpeas that cling to my garden wall would ne'er seem as beautiful . . .

It is because it has been hugely anticipated . . . throughout the winter's cold and spring's promise . . . this expectation of sunshine and flowers, that makes us welcome with delight, the summer's golden hours . . .
 

And so I won't complain if the days seem too hot . . . and the air seems too heavy and humid. I will relax and enjoy them as much as I can . . . even though my energy be sapped and my good night's sleep may feel a bit harrassed with oppressive heat and the inability to find comfort in a bed that seems too hot and lumpy . . . knowing that all too soon this shall pass, and we shall notice that the leaves are beginning to turn . . . and the garden beginning to have that faded tired look of autumn about it . . .

"The waiting in the winter, and the hoping in the spring. It's twice as sweet because we know that Time is on the wing." 


All of these photos are photos I took at Hever Castle
when we lived down South.  Hever Castle was 
the childhood home of Anne Boleyn.


I used to really look forward to Augusts when I was a child.  The summer seemed ever so long and by about the beginning of August I was looking forward to school beginning again. I was getting bored.  My birthday was also in August.  I was never very happy about having a Birthday that fell during the school summer holidays.  People were always away on vacation and stuff, so there were not a lot of people to invite to your Birthday Party.  My mom did the most wonderful Birthday Parties. Nothing fancy mind  . . .  just simple things like a few parlour games, hotdogs, soda pop, cake and ice cream clowns.



I tried my hand at making ice cream clowns a while back. The results were largely laughable.  I gained a new respect for what my mother had done for me!  On the 13th  will be 64.  It will be the first year in my life that I have not heard the sound of my mother's voice on my Birthday.  Somehow I will get through it I know . . .  you just do.    



My son Doug printed off my Hello spread at his work. He works at Staples.  That's really probably a great place to print stuff.  I should take my PDF and get it printed.  It makes me happy that Doug is proud of me.  As parents we are all proud of our children.  I know, I am  . . . but it is nice to know sometimes that our children are also proud of us.  



He sent me a photo of all of my grandchildren taken recently at my ex MIL's 92 Birthday celebrations.  She is looking great for 92.  I blocked out the faces of two of the children which are not my grandchildren as I felt it wouldn't be proper for me to show you them.  In the back from left to right are Gabe, Jon, Luke and Jake, my MIL and in the front Josh, Cam and Maryn.  They are growing like weeds.  I can't believe how tall Gabe is getting! Oh how I love my grands.  I had always pictured myself as being the best grandmother ever, never dreaming that I would be so far away from my grandchildren.  I wish they just lived next door.  

You know what they say about wishes . . .  "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride."  Nevermind, I do the best with the lot I've been given, and can do no more!   



I am really looking forward to Eileen and Anthony coming over in October.  Eileen is really interested in Fairies.  She always wants to talk about them.  At one time over here they were selling Fairy figurines based on the Cicely Mary Barker illustrations.  They had a new one every couple of weeks or so that you could buy on subscription.  I collected them all and sent them over to her.  She just loves them.  I bought this book (see above) second hand to give to her when she comes. It is filled with fairy lore.  I hope that she likes it.  Anything you want to know about a fairy is in there.  I only paid a few pennies for it plus postage and it looks brand new.  There is a small wrinkle on the dust cover, that's all.  I am really pleased with it.  When you buy books second hand like that you are never quite sure what is going to arrive!  

And now I am prattling so I will leave you with a thought for today  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
A 'fresh start' 
isn't a new place,
it's a mindset.
~Unknown•。★★ 。* 。 


Blueberry Cornmeal Pancakes with a Maple Caramel Sauce 

Cooking in The English Kitchen today  . . .  Maple Caramel Sauced Blueberry & Cornmeal Pancakes.  Yummo! 

Have a wonderful Saturday. We are off to the chapel later this morning as there is a Baptism. It looks like today is going to be dry, so that's great!  Don't forget! 

 
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════
 

And I do too! 
 









10 comments:

  1. She'll love the book! I have maybe 5 or 6 of those authentic MCB FFs and none others come close..after yrs of living in my gardens..they are all missing something..a limb etc..some dirt won't come off..but I love them still..I bought mine one at a time and felt I was splurging they were close to $20.00 but I was working..You will love having family w/ you.Fun pic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they are really special Monique! I love them even more when the colour starts to fade! It was nice to see all the grandchildren together! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Hi Marie, so nice to have a photo of your grands all together. Your mom knows when your birthday is and will be smiling down on you. You will miss hearing her voice, that's for sure. Eileen is going to love the Fairy book. Bet you can't wait for their visit. Enjoy the baptism. And the rest of summer. The days go by way too fast anymore. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Baptism was the most attended one I have seen in ages Elaine! It was lovely to see! You are right, I can't wait for Eileen's visit. I will hate to see them go home at the end of it! Love and hugs to you and Happy Sunday wishes! xoxo

      Delete
  3. I'm so taken with those photos of Hever Castle! Try as I may, I cannot reconcile my loathing for the August heat. Your words help me focus on what awaits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the dog days of August. Take heart Mevely, September is only a few weeks away now! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Lovely things to look forward to, Marie...so happy at least 2 of your kids will be there!! We have had to adjust as well to next to no contact with my son's family. I just finished reading "A Son is a Son till he gets a wife:How toxic daughters-in-law destroy families". Realizing that there are other kin who destroy as well. But the conclusion of this book is as we have found it. You go forward, making your life so good as you can, finding others to be kin with (like your dear Grace and parents) also!! After all, no reason not to enjoy to the hilt every little bit of every day as we are not allowed all that many in our lives. Sending hugs...
    Elizabeth xoxo (will be remembering you on your birthday too, and the hole left by your mom...I well understand!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be grand Elizabeth and maybe we can facetime the others while they are here and have a international face to face reunion. We shall see! Take each day for the gift that it is. I do! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  5. I feel sad that I haven't visited for a while. Life kind of took over and I have had a hard reading blog posts or doing one myself. I miss you dear friend. I always love reading your blogs on more regular basis.
    I loved all your thoughts on August; they were poignant. I do love the month of August because it starts to cool down a bit and things might slow down a touch for me.
    I remember how hard it is after losing a mother, just wanting to hear their voice.
    I love the photo of your grandchildren. I'm glad your son Doug keeps you caught up on what they are doing. I'm sure your children are very proud of your accomplishments. You are becoming famous.
    Sending loving thoughts and hugs your way! Big hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug is really good at that LeAnn. I was just facetiming with him yesterday. He's a wonderful son. I hate that we have to live so far apart. Love and hugs to you, and blessings too! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!