Monday 1 July 2019

Small and Wonderful things . . .

 
 

 
"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard  

A few of the small and wonderful things from the past week which brought untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.   

 
 
 
Fresh chives from the garden.  They remind me of my father.  He had a huge cement planter out front of our house in Green wood filled with chives that came up every year.  They were his pride and joy. I throw them on everything this time of year, revelling in their abundance and enjoying them every moment that I can.  When I eat them I think of days gone by where, as an adult,  I would make my father grilled cheese and bologna sandwiches, with mustard and a few chives tucked in the middle.   He loved coming to my house for these sandwiches.  God-willing I will have the opportunity to make more for him some day . . . 
 
 
 
I love the gardens this time of year.  They are filled to overflowing with blooms, all the dusty hopes of last Winter coming to fruition right in front of our eyes.  The roses are bursting as are the hydrangea, clematis, etc.  They put on a lovely show.  One can't help but believe in God when surrounded by such beauty . . . 
 
  
 
The Lavender which is beginning to bloom in the garden now.   Every time I walk by it and my legs brush against the blooms, I am gifted with the most luxurious smell.   This year I AM going to remember to cut some of it and dry it so that I can enjoy this smell all winter long . . .

I love Lavender . . .   mmmm . . . Lavender sugar.  MUST MAKE THIS YEAR. Also drawer sachets. 
 

 
Putting a few extra potatoes into the pot and making a hot dinner to take over to an elderly friend who rarely gets one.   The smile on her face was worth having one less sausage on our plates.   It didn't cost us anything much and really made her day.   It is good to think of others and serve them whenever you can in whatever way you can.    I am grateful that I still have extra sausages to share. 
 
 
   

 
A rare shot of these three together out and about and enjoying the beginning of their summer 2019. They are growing up so quickly.  Its hard to believe that Jon is already a teenager.  Where has the time gone!  

 

 
Jake's enthusiasm for life. It is contagious. You can't help but smile.  He goes at everything with abandon. He is so full of life and energy.  I wish I could bottle some of it up for myself!  
 
 
 
 
There was a local food festival where the local restaurants were all offering samplings of their foods at a taster price.  The boys really enjoyed trying all of the different types of food.  There was food from all over the world.  I love that my grandchildren are growing up in a world where they can learn more about other cultures first hand. Taste things like real South American food or Middle Eastern food locally, and not have to rely on pizza from a box. They had little passports to check and fill out about all the different things they tasted.  I love it that these small towns pull together and do things like this! Its good for the community and its good for business. 
 

 
It is nice to see my son out and about spending time with the boys on this latest adventure. I love all my children.  After Doug's recent brush with a very serious illness, I am very grateful for answered prayers.  His recovery is going well.  He is quite understandably a bit paranoid, which is to be expected.  Anyone would be. I just pray that his recovery continues to be positive and that he is soon back to normal.  Your prayers have all been very much appreciated! 💗 The story could have ended very differently.  So grateful to my Heavenly Father that it didn't.   

 
 
Being able to partake of the Sacrament worthily each week.  To renew my covenants, to repent, to remember Him and take His name upon me.  It is the highlight of my week, the perfect end to one and the perfect beginning to another. 
 
 
  
 
All of the love and trust which has been given me by this delightful little madam.   Oh, she does bring us so much joy, each and every day of our lives.   She is so sweet and so loving, if not a tiny bit bossy.  She hasn't a mean bone in her body.   There is not a day go by that I am not touched and totally be-smitten by all that she is and all that she does.   Oh I love her so very much.  She is a pure and utter joy to us, and we ARE a family. 
  

 
Being able to dry the laundry out on the line.    It smells so nice and I love that snapping sound it makes when we get a little breeze going.   Bliss . . . pure and utter bliss . . . so grateful for the few sunny days we have had since all of that rain. It looks to be showery again today. 
 
 
  
 
 
The luxury of being a homemaker.  I have been both a working woman and a homemaker in my lifetime and I have to say I much prefer being a homemaker.  I love my home and I love being in it and I love everything that goes along with being in it.   I love being where I love being most, taking care of it, making it comfortable for my husband and myself, keeping it tidy and polished . . . making it a home, filling it with love and joy and  everything else.   It is not a mansion on a hill, and thankfully it is not a mud hut in a field . . . it is somewhere in between those two and I know we are blessed to be living the lives we are living. 
 
 
 
Living close enough to a Temple that I can visit it regularly without much problem.  Tomorrow Tina, Mal and I are going up to the Temple in Chorley and staying there overnight.  We will have two blissful days to partake of its peace and comfort.  I have never done this before.  I am looking forward to it.  There is accomodation on the Temple grounds that you can stay in for a very small fee, just to cover the cost of cleaning/bedding/etc. Each room has its own fridge, microwave and bathroom/shower/tub.  Oh and a bed, lol. I am going tomorrow morning and won't be back until late Wednesday so don't worry if I haven't posted anything on Wednesday morning.  I have much to be grateful for and a lot to reflect on. It will just be nice. I am bringing three of my female ancestors with me. 
 
And those are my small and wonderfuls for this week!  There are a whole lot more things that I am grateful for.  Life is good. 

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *
"Real love begins 
where nothing is expected in return."
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery  •。★★ 。* 。 
 
 

Down East Fish Cakes 
 
Happy Canada Day to all my Canadian family and friends!  I cooked some Down East Fish Cakes as an homage to my Maritime up-bringing!  Todd thoroughly enjoyed them!
 
I hope your week ahead is filled with many small and wonderful things!  Don't forget! 
 
 
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════
 

And I do too! 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. marie the boys are so handsom and Doug is looking good:)YAY..
    Love your polaroids..sweet as can be marie.Especially the lothesline..it works so well!Have a nice sleepover:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Monique. I am playing catch up after being away. It was really nice. I really enjoyed the break! I love that Doug is looking good. I think the boys are all fine looking, but I am biased! Thank you! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!