Monday 4 March 2019

Small and Wonderful Things . . .



"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard  

A few of the small and wonderful things from the past week which brought untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.


 

 "Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same." ~ Emily Bronte

Having someone to share my life with. It means that I am not alone.  My life is shared by someone who wants to hold my hand.  I am content.  


 

My constant companion.  She is always with me.  If I am in the kitchen cooking, she is watching . . .  just to make sure I get things right or if I drop anything, it gets cleaned up pronto. (probably more the latter thing)  If I am writing, she is sitting next to me, ditto watching the telly.  At night she sleeps next to my side of the bed.  If I am feeling sad or whatever, I just have to reach out my hand and stroke her silky ears.  She is just the best medicine for whatever ails you. Her unconditional love and loyalty are the best. 

 photo DSCN5743_zpsynahmrkl.jpg 

Watching cooking shows on Netflix or dvd or on the food channel. I quite enjoy this.  I have my favourites and my not so favourites.  Nigel Slater is a favourite of mine because he cooks the way I love to cook and eat. He seems to just look in his fridge and then throw together tastiness from whatever he finds.  I know in reality its probably been all well planned out in advance, but I do love to watch it.  It inspires me to want to do the same and cobble together tastiness from whats to hand.  I am grateful that I have always had the luxury of living in a land where I can "play" with food. 

 

The crocus which are blooming all over the place . . . in a multitude of bright colours. 

 

The Camelia bush is blooming and our forsythia is about to burst into yellow flames.  Daffodils are waving their pretty little heads all over the place and the sheep are lambing.  Spring is springing into place. 


 photo 645c3a659a22e416ece8db2ab7b9d487_zps95165beb.jpg 

God's presence is ever beside you,
As near as the reach of your hand,
You have but to tell Him your troubles,
There is nothing He won't understand.
~Helen Steiner Rice

Prayer.  It's a small thing, but it's everything.  I am so grateful for the presence of prayer in my life.  


 photo 962d0a531453c0a6f0d767adf42d7ba9_zps44d46a94.jpg 

The gift of today.  A fresh page to write on with each new day that dawns.   Thank God for new beginnings and the chance we have to do-better . . .   


  photo f4716a0ef1bcb760c718f28df60bc342_zpsfe0182cd.jpg 


I have no source for this photograph,  but would gladly give it if I did.  I found it on Pinterest.   It is a beautiful photograph.  I see so much in this.   It touches my heart in a special way.  It makes me think of gratitude.   Gratitude should not just something you feel from time to time.  It should be a way to live your life daily.  There but for the Grace of God go I . . .  and all that that entails.   A reminder to self that it could always, ALWAYS be worse . . .  and that for many people on earth it is worse.  We, in the Western world, have much to be grateful for and most of us don't even know it. 


 

The luxury of Leisure Time. Many in the world work their fingers to the bone from dawn until dusk with nary a break, every single day of their lives.  There is no time in their days for even simple pleasures.  

 

A new blog post from Susan Branch this morning.  You can read it here.   I always enjoy her posts.  She has a certain Joie de Vivre that makes me smile.  Her words, her photos, the music.  (I always listen to the music.)  They take me back to a kinder gentler time.  Love her to bits.   

 

Being able to partake of the Sacrament, renew my Baptismal covenants and recharge my spiritual batteries every Sunday.  I love this aspect of my faith.   

 

Yesterday was the Fast & Testimony meeting. (First Sunday of every month)  Being able to listen to the testimonies of others lifts my own.  I love to hear them.  


  


The beauty of every day things.  Ordinary things. Simple things. Tender mercies. Small blessings. I have a very abundant life. To be able to experience the magic in the ordinary is a gift I hope I never take for granted. The ability to choose the positive most days. I know that there are many, many people in the world who struggle with this either through mental illness or depression.  I have low moments.  Everyone does. Thankfully I have always been able to shake them off and move forward.  I know this is a great blessing.  


 



Waking up, having had a really good night's sleep . . .  ahhh  . . .  feels so good. And last night I actually fell asleep without crying first. 
  
 
Abundance.  I am surrounded by it. I have all that I need in this life.  Its all in the perspective. I am wealthy in the things which truly matter, and then some. Life is good.   

And those are my small and wonderfuls for this week.  Oh, too many to count really . . . tis just the tip of the iceberg!


A thought to carry with you . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛
.There is always, always, always 
something to be thankful for ...
~ Michael Traveler 
•。★★ 。* 。 



Cooking in The English Kitchen today  . . . .  Turkey & Broccoli Casserole.  Simple and delicious as always.  

Have a wonderful Monday.  I hope your week ahead is filled with plenty of small and wonderful things. Don't forget! 


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
And I do too! 





6 comments:

  1. Mitzi sure lucked out chez vous.I love seeing well cared for and loved pets:) Deathly allergic to cats here and J's not a dog guy.
    That's ok..I came to trems with that a long time ago..we have had dogs though..but just the two of us..it would not work;) You sound good:) I just told J last night I have not watched a cooking show in years..we wathed the GBBO together..but at night..my time for TV..have you watched the Mr Rodgers Doc.on Netflx? I am halfway through on my Ipad..Love it!You will too:):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't watched that. I will have to look for it. I love Loved Mr Rogers! Ohh, boo hoo, just checked and its not on Netflix over here. *Sniff *Sniff. Hopefully it will come eventually. I like cats, but would not have one here where there are no screens on the windows. I wouldn't want one that went outside. Too many bad things can happen to them and we live in a busy area. I am slowly coming to terms with everything, but it is still hard. I expect it always will be. Like my sister says, a new normal. Staying busy is the key! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Hope you are taking a break and are ok!! Just wanted you to know I noticed...
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth. Just had some thinking to do. xoxo

      Delete
  3. I love your positive thoughts and grateful attitude. You birghtened my day by your post today. I loved all of it. I like you feel my life is good and I have do have all I need and actually more. I don’t need anything really. I too am not alone. I have my dear husband and sweet Sammy.
    It is fun to have favorite shows to watch and we do.
    I too love our fast and testimony meetings and I always feel inspired and uplifted.
    Life really is good.
    Sending loving thoughts and hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think having the Gospel in my life has made the world of difference LeAnn. I know you feel the same. Love you! ((((hugs)))) xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!