Monday 9 September 2024

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 




"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. What you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 


 A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.


 

I am enjoying the cooler days and nights.  The earlier evenings. That is the part of me that loves to snuggle and canoodle with throws and candles and soft music.  I don't like being cold, but I am also not a huge fan of being hot and sticky.  I find it hard to enjoy the summer because it is just too hot and sticky.  Autumn is my favorite season, because you get the sunshine and a bit of warmth, without it being humid and over the top!  I am an autumn girl and we are right on it's doorstep now!  Yay!


 


Being able to enjoy church and set aside Sunday as a day of rest. I didn't actually go to church yesterday as Glenna was away, but I was able to watch it online and I enjoyed it very much. The hymns, the talks, all were really lovely and inspiring.  I was uplifted all the same even if I wasn't there in person. I am grateful for these modern times when I can still benefit from the blessings of church attendance remotely. I wasn't able to partake of the sacrament of course, but I was able to partake of everything else, and still feel the spirit.

Then the rest of the day I listened to good music.  I like to watch and listen to Music and the Spoken Word on Sunday afternoons.  It is always lovely. I could listen to the Tabernacle Choir for hours and hours and never tire of it. 

I love Sundays. They are a time of renewal for me. Physically and spiritually.


 


I love my little home.  It is an oasis of peace for me.  A place where I feel safe and comfortable and secure. A place where even the most mundane of chores are sacred to me, as I quietly work to create a  home that feels like holy ground. A sacred place.  A place where I can feel close to my Heavenly Father and hold the outside world at bay.  A place which is turned towards the Temple and a place which feels very much like a house of the Lord. 

That is what a home can and should be.  Sacred. A place of love, peace and a refuge of the world.  I leave the world very much outside it's doors.  


 


Again, I love my little home. It is my wish that all who enter my home would feel welcome when they enter in  and  that they feel of the peaceful spirit which dwells within its walls  . . . 


 


Sunday dinner with the family.   I love this weekly gathering of souls.  I love my family.  My sister always cooks a lovely meal and it is  nice to spend this time with my father and sister, Dan too.  All of the cats.  Yesterday she cooked a roast chicken and she had a lovely tray of roasted vegetables to enjoy with it, and some tasty homemade gravy. 
  

I do not get to speak to my father as much these days.  He doesn't need me to wake him up in the morning, so there are no morning phone calls these days. There are no goodnight calls either.  But that's okay.   He doesn't really hear very well on the telephone these days.  His hearing is very poor.  He is going to have his hair cut finally today and it is long overdue.  I know now where I get my curly hair from.


 


I hope that this week Cindy and I have the opportunity to go for a trip up the valley to visit some farm markets.  It is that time of year. I want to get some squashes and maybe some apples. We discovered a few new ones this summer and I am really looking forward to exploring them soon, when they have all of their autumn goodness in place.


 


I spent a good part of Saturday organizing the closet in my bedroom.  Everything is pretty much as I want it now.  I have a rolling cart in there where I store my nuts, etc. for baking. I need to replace my nuts now as they are coming out of date. I will make a batch of granola this week to use up what I have but I think a trip to the Running Man in New Minas is in order to replenish my supply, especially with Thanksgiving and Christmas looming in the next few months.  (How can that be!  This year is zooming by!)

Anyways, it is nice to have  my closet organized again. I pulled out a few things that I am going to get rid of or give away.  (Fall clean up is just around the corner.)  I need to buy myself a small dresser I think.  I need some more space for my clothes.  Who would have thought?

 

My life is a beautiful balance of peace and goodness.  Of the people that I love and the things which bring me joy.  Simplicity.  That is how I like it.  I have had more than enough drama over the past few years to last me through several lifetimes.  I do not crave excitement.  I want only quiet and comfort.  I am blessed to live in a place where that is quite achievable. May it always be so  . . . 


 

 This year I have very much enjoyed seeing photographs of other people's zinnias and dahlias. Monique, especially, has some beautiful ones and I enjoy seeing the photos she shares of them.  She is blessing us all with these stunning blooms. They are in blush colors and are breathtaking.  I lack the ability and the discipline to be able to grow such things for myself, but I am so grateful to others who do have the ability and discipline and who so generously share their beauty with us all through their photos.  Every time I see one, I am in awe.   They are such beautiful examples of God's masterpieces.   

And with that I best leave you with a thought for the day.  I have plans to do a video at some point today (fingers crossed) and must be on about getting things ready for that!

A thought to carry with you . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *Home ° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
is where one starts from.
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •



Mixer Batter Buns




In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Mixer Batter Buns.  I made a small batch of these at the weekend and they turned out beautifully.  Such a simple bun to make as well. You just use a hand mixer to beat them together, drop the batter into muffin tins, let rise and then bake.  Simple and delicious!


I hope you have a lovely day.  May the sun shine for you and may it be filled with small and simple pleasures, pockets of joy, and people you love. Whatever you get up to, don't forget!


═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

 

And I do too! 
 

3 comments:

  1. It will be a drippy wet day after a weekend of rain and wind. You have made yourself a lovely cozy home. Cooler temperatures mean sweaters, socks and blankets, all snuggly good. I'm sure you will have fun and necessary outings this week. good to get that closet organized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Autumn is starting here too...YEAH!! I too hate heat and humidity...and all other years we have lived in NC, it has never been this nice this early either!! And actually, this summer was not as hot as most for which I was most grateful!! I am with you...a place of quiet and comfort is desirable!! So glad you are past so much drama...it just sucks the life out of us, doesn't it?
    HUGS, Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marie, good for you that you organized your closet! You can freeze nuts, putting the recipe amounts in small plastic bags, and then putting the bags into a larger plastic bag. Take out as needed. Nuts freeze well for at least six months, and on up to a year. In a recent blog, you asked about any ideas for your videos that viewers might like to see. Your early years as a Mom and your Big Blue Binder of recipes always are interesting to read about. Those early recipes, and your experiences learning how to cook would be interesting. Sometimes it's the homey and simple recipes, the tried and true's, that resonate the most. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!