Monday 26 September 2022

The Simple Woman's Daybook . . .

 

 



FOR TODAY, September 26th 2022

Outside my window ... 
Everything is pretty calm this morning. Gone are the winds of the weekend. Yesterday was quite sunny and bright. Its been raining this morning and through the night. There are puddles.

I am thinking ...
I am thinking about all the people in the Maritimes that have been badly hit by Storm Fiona. Some areas have been decimated by the impact of this storm. PEI, Cape Breton, Newfoundland. My son and his wife had many trees go down in their yard and the cleanup needed is a full-on job, and without any power.  My DIL has had sporadic internet and has posted many photos using her phone. Everyone is involved in the cleanup.  They have had to travel to other areas to be able charge their phones. She has posted about several historic series of rock formations, notably the turned teacup and twin shore elephant rock, now gone. I can't tell you how many homes in Port Aux Basque Newfoundland that were simply swept out to sea. Its devastating.  My prayers are with everyone who has been negatively impacted.  Thankfully here in the Valley we were protected from much of the devastation.  My sister lost a part of one tree and part of one came down in my back yard, but that appears to be the most damage that people here in the Valley have experienced. Downed trees and branches.  Thank goodness.  I think most people's power has now been restored.

Nature is an incredibly powerful force.

I am thankful for ...
Nobody in my family was severely impacted that I know of.

In the kitchen ...



Rice Crispy Chicken. Not new, but the post has been revamped. I need to do that occasionally. To bring some of my older posts up to date. I think it is called SEO.  But I am not sure. Anyways, this is a delicious chicken recipe! If you look at a lot of food blogs you will see that there is only very rarely new content and they focus a lot on revamping the old stuff, bringing it up to date, rephotographing, etc.

On my "to cook" list ... 



The Cosy Apron.  Grilled Lemon Chicken Flatbread Wraps.  These look fabulous!

Good to know ...



I am wanting to create ... 




Megan Plus Five.  DIY Painted Pumpkins. Cute!



Ruffles and Rainboots.  Painted Mason Jar Pumpkins. 



The Happy Farmhouse. Bushel Basket Pumpkins.



No source, but cute. Wicker plate holders painted to look like pumpkins.



Three Sheep Studio.  Rustic Wool Pumpkins.


I am reading ...


Mean Baby, by Selma Blair

Selma Blair has played many archetypal roles: Gullible ingenue in Cruel Intentions. Preppy ice queen in Legally Blonde. Fire-starter in Hellboy. Muse to Karl Lagerfeld. Face of Chanel. Cover model. Advocate for the multiple sclerosis community. But before all of that, Selma was known best for being one thing: a mean baby. 

In a memoir that is as wildly funny as it is emotionally shattering, Selma Blair tells the captivating story of growing up and finding her truth. The first story Selma Blair Beitner ever heard about herself is that she was a mean, mean baby. With her mouth pulled in a perpetual snarl and a head so furry it had to be rubbed to make way for her forehead, Selma spent years living up to her terrible reputation: biting her sisters, lying spontaneously, getting drunk from Passover wine at the age of seven, and behaving dramatically so that she would be the center of attention. 

Although Selma went on to become a celebrated Hollywood actress and model, she could never quite shake the periods of darkness that overtook her, the certainty that there was a great mystery at the heart of her life. She often felt like her arms might be on fire, a sensation not unlike electric shocks, and she secretly drank to escape. 

Over the course of this beautiful and, at times, devasting memoir, Selma lays bare her addiction to alcohol, her devotion to her brilliant and complicated mother, and the moments she flirted with death. There is brutal violence, passionate love, true friendship, the gift of motherhood, and, finally, the surprising salvation of a multiple sclerosis diagnosis. In a voice that is powerfully original, fiercely intelligent, and full of hard-won wisdom, Selma Blair’s Mean Baby is a deeply human memoir and a true literary achievement.

I had no idea really of who Selma Blair was until I saw her on Dancing with the Stars last week, then I saw this memoir. I like autobiographical books.  I was interested. I read the first 55 pages in one go!  Its an I can't put it down kind of a book if you are into biography types of books. Loving it.


Looking Forward to ...
General Conference this weekend. I always love General Conference and I am so happy that it doesn't conflict with the Canadian Thanksgiving!  Quite often it does and that makes it difficult!

Dreaming about ... 

 

The smell of woodsmoke in the air  . . . 

 

Shades of brown  . . . 

 

Autumn flowers  . . . 


 

Natural and tweedy  . . . 




Such comfort  . . . 

Something to watch ... 


Pachinko on Apple TV.  Its like the Oriental This is Us. I love it.

Makes me smile ... 



A pile of kittens  . . . 

Corners of my kingdom ... 



The colors, they are a changing  . . . 

A thought to carry with you ... 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *Celebrate every win,
no matter how small.
° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •° * 。 • ˚ ˚ 

And that's my daybook for this week! 


   ⋱ ⋮ ⋰
 ⋯ ◯ ⋯ Take time to enjoy the small *´¯`.¸¸.☆

   ⋰ ⋮ ⋱ blessings in life.*´¯`.¸¸.☆   
 
  



✿¸.•*¨`*•..✿✿¸.•*¨`*•..✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.• ╬♥═╬╬═♥=╬╬═♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥═╬♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥
░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░  
 
 
  

Have a beautiful day and don't forget!  


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   
  


And I do too!       


12 comments:

  1. Mother Nature certainly showed its cruel side to the Maritimes. Glad your family is safe, even though some are without power. Hoping it is restored as soon as possible, though Hydro crews have a huge job. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly did. As of yesterday (the 30th of September and a week later) my son on the Island still did not have power. xoxo

      Delete
  2. Sad pics from the Maritimes..on Tik Tok mainly:(I really enjoyed that book Marie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a sad event Monique. So many people lost much. xoxo

      Delete
  3. I'm praying for all those affected adversely from the hurricanes. I have a son in Florida that is currently at risk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that your son and his family are alright Pam! I was praying. xoxo

      Delete
  4. So happy you and your family are safe. Such terrible destruction from the storm. Florida is in the path of Hurricane Ian. Prayers everyone stays safe. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Elaine. Mother Nature proves to us every now and then that she is a strong force to be reckoned with. Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  5. Such a hard year for so many...glad you and yours seem to be ok, in spite of the storm!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very grateful Elizabeth! I hope you made out okay in Ian! xoxo

      Delete
  6. Hi Marie. I am glad that you and your family were safe in the storm. Praying for those in the path of Ian which will hit Florida tomorrow of the next day. We are looking forward to General Conference here as well. That book you are reading sounds very interesting! See you again soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Take care and God bless Deb! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!