Wednesday 17 April 2013

Wednesday prattle . . .

  photo pie-baking.gif

Often through the years, I had wondered who does the cleaning in the beautiful homes you see in the magazines . . . then I got to work in  a big house and I learned first hand who does all the cleaning in many, if not most of those beautiful homes!  Only someone with a skivvy would be able to keep things looking so perfect, never a thing out of place . . . or have such an array of silver, copper and other antiquities and vast collections!

I used to dream of having silver and copper . . . but quickly came to realize just how much work they were and decided after a time, that they were things I could quite happily live without!   I was responsible for all of the glassware, china, silver and copper in just the kitchen and conservatory and that, in and of itself, was a full time job!  Doing the copper in the kitchen used to take the both Todd and myself several hours each month in two stints . . . and that didn't include the stuff which was well within my own reach.  He would come and help me with the stuff that was hanging up.   Because the kitchen had cathedral beamed ceilings, must of it would involve him standing on a ladder and handing it down to me.  It did not take long for all of these trappings of wealth to lose their lustre for me and I could win the lottery many, many times over and I would never indulge in such . . . for in truth. . . one,  I am rather lazy at heart, and two  . . . these things no longer hold any appeal whatsoever for me!

  photo 2.jpg

I like pretty things . . . but pretty things that are easy and not time consuming to look after!   I have a difficult enough time keeping a small terraced house in shape . . . and tidy and clean.  I would not want anything larger.   That's where Todd and I differ.   He would love a big house and garden, but then again, men don't really see things in much the same way as women do!   He always says that had we a large place like that I could have a maid.  I don't think so.  There is no way I would ever be comfortable with someone cleaning my house for me and knowing all of my secrets.  I'd just like a bigger kitchen, thank you very much!

So today is the last day I will be able to write my thoughts out for you until I return from Canada.  I will be able to go online sporadically . . . but I won't have the time or means to do much more, and I'm fine with that.   I am so very grateful to be able to do this service for my mum . . . I would never ever be able to do enough to repay her for the childhood both she and my father gave to me, but at least I can do this one thing.  I hate that I have to live so far away from both of my parents at this time in their lives . . . you never really think about your parents getting old . . . until they are old, and then it seems like all of a sudden . . . overnight, it happens, and there you have it.

  photo SaraandBaxter2013_zpsd10738f8.jpg

I had a most enjoyable chat via the I-pad face-time with my youngest son yesterday and his puppy Baxter.   Baxter is a Dachshund/Maltese cross and just the cutest little puppy.  Quite adorable, and it was clear that both he and Bruce are smitten with each other.   And then there is Bruce's Sara . . . they are quite the lovely little family at the moment, and I do think she's the one.  It is such a blessing to see your children grown up and settled and happy.  First comes a puppy . . . and then, who knows!  Time will tell.   He'll be picking me up at the airport tomorrow.  I can't wait to see him!  Family . . . it's everything.   I shall miss Todd and Mitzie . . .

 photo BruceSara_zpsd84507f6.jpg

I picked up all of my prescriptions to take with me yesterday . . . I almost need a suitcase for all of them!  Todd took a look and then said, perhaps I better bring my prescription papers with me so that nobody accuses me of drug running.   He may well be right on that!  My Doctor had suggested I bring three months worth just in case and so I am . . . but it looks like an awful lot!  Looking at it all, I thought to myself it's a wonder I don't rattle when I walk.   Instead I just wobble, big beautiful woman that I am.  ☺

Margaret Thatcher's funeral is today.  I suppose we will watch it.  I was not living here in the UK, of course, when she was Prime Minister and I am quite shocked at all the emotion and vitriol which her death has inspired.  I don't quite understand it.    She must have been doing something good to have been voted in three times . . . and even if you don't agree wholeheartedly with someone's politics or methods, I believe in death those who have served their country deserve some respect, be they politicians or soldiers or whatever.  At the end of the day she was someone's daughter, wife, mother, etc.  and she was a daughter of our Heavenly Father.  She may have made some poor decisions as Prime Minister, but she did not make them alone . . . and she made some very good decisions as well.  It easy easy to look back on someone's career or life and pick up on all the bad, but lets never forget all the good either.  Kindness costs nothing.

  photo keep_calm_carry_on_poster.jpg

Those bombings at the Boston Marathon are a bit scary aren't they?   My heart and prayers  go out to all those who have been affected by them. Who would have thought . . . well . . .  I think that is the greatest weapon Terrorism has don't you?   The ability to surprise us with the unthinkable.   We must never let our guards down ever . . . I expect security at the airports will be quite rightfully intense.  I am not bothered by it really.  It is a small price to pay for safety.  It saddens me that we live in a world where it exists . . . but you do what you have to at the end of the day.

Expect the un-expected.  It works both ways . . . doesn't it really.   Along with the bad there is much good to look forward to as well.  I like to dwell on the good rather than the other.   It may be a Pollyanna-ish way to look at life, but I'd rather go through life with a smile on my face and a song in my heart than for it to be the other way around!  And now I am prattling as I am wont to do . . . and so I'll bid you adieu with a thought to carry you through the day.

“The more we devote ourselves to the pursuit of holiness and happiness, the less likely we will be on a path to regrets. The more we rely on the Savior’s grace, the more we will feel that we are on the track our Father in Heaven has intended for us.” 
~Dieter F Uchtdorf

 photo SAM_5977_zps1059c520.jpg

Cooking in The English Kitchen today . . . delicious Cheddar Baked Chicken.   Scrummo!!

  photo tumblr_lo35qzLJi01qlkb0bo1_400.jpg

I'll see you on the 1st of June!   (God willing!)

Have a great Wednesday!  I love you all!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!