Wednesday 27 February 2013

A little bit of this and a lot of that with lots of nothing thrown in for good measure . . .




It's time now to bring branches into the house to force them into flowering.  It has been said that even Pear branches will flower, as will Apple and Quince.  My favourite though are the Forsythia . . .

How beautiful and wonderful it is to glance over to the dining area windowsill . . . which is South facing and see a beautiful spray of delicate yellow flowers blooming.    I really must go out one day this week and find a few.   The perfect way to introduce an early spring into the home.

 Of course I like to use Forsythia branches each year as my Easter Tree.  They make a perfect one with all of the little yellow blooms.   My little wooden eggs and bunnies always look so pretty hanging from the delicate branches . . . I love this yearly custom.



We have had a few dry days and so I hazarded a chance walk down the garden yesterday afternoon, just to see how things were going.   It's been such a wet winter that I have totally avoided it, even on the frosty days as each step taken was an sodden . . . mud filled . . . futile exercise.  It was lovely to see all of the rhubarb bursting forth, with brilliant red stems and those deep green crinkled leaves . . .

I remember the first time I saw rhubarb growing in a garden . . . I thought it was an odd looking plant.  I was so very in-experienced in the ways of gardening and had no way of recognizing a weed from what was supposed to be there.  I couldn't even hazard a guess at what this was . . . it was not until it was fully out that I recognized it as being rhubarb, and was well pleased that I hadn't thrown it out.

When I think back to my younger self and how ignorant it was in so many ways, I chuckle to myself, and am very glad that I have grown up now . . .




Our Mitzie has so missed being able to frolic in the grassed area of our garden this Winter.  For the most part we have kept her out of it by keeping the gate closed.   She sits daily at the gate willing it to open . . . but it only ever rarely does.   Yesterday afternoon it did for a short and she had a brilliant time bounding over all of the garden's lumps and bumps, sniffing here and sniffing there . . .  making note of every creature that has passed our way over these past few months no doubt.

They say a dog's smell is so powerful that they can smell events several years in the past.   Tis true.  I heard it on the television on one of those animal shows.  I believe it was a show called Martin Clunes:  The Secret Lives of Dogs, and it was very, very good.


At any rate our Mitzie enjoyed her little romp, while I walked up and down taking note of all that was going on.   The snowdrops are blooming all along the base of the hedge . . . and the spikes of daffodils are now showing as well . . . each bush and tree too, shows the tiny beginnings of tender little buds.   The promise of Spring is very evident, and after these few cold dark months it's nice to have such hope.

Our Mitzie is such a little character.  She has several games she likes to play.   First of all she likes to play with empty water bottles and the like.  She pounces on them with great glee and grasps them in between her front paws.  She then begins to work on them and I have observed that she does so very methodically . . . first she worries the label off, and then she works on the lid . . . and finally that little ring of plastic which is left when you unscrew the lid . . . once she has removed those three things, she loses all interest and walks away and I am left to pick up the pieces.   If only she could learn to pick up after herself . . .

  photo SDC13324.jpg

The other thing she likes to do is to play with empty crisp and snack bags.   I think it is the noise they make . . . all crinkly sounding.   They can be completely empty but she has a good go at licking off whatever fumes have been left behind from whatever it that has been in them . . . and when she is done the bag is completely turned inside out.  I find it literally quite amazing . . . and once again, she has not learned to bin it when she is done.   Oh well . . . what would we do without the company of these much beloved furry members of our families . . . they bring us so much joy.   Our lives would be quite empty without them I am sure!

I have had a little bit of studio time these past couple of days which is something I just love.   I enjoy just sitting up there on my own . . . music playing . . . for inspiration you know . . . and then seeing what comes out of my thoughts and fingertips.

For a few days I was working on this . . .

 photo REdshoesCopyright_zps5629c36c.jpg

It was an idea actually that I had a few weeks back and I was finally able to bring it into fruition.  I had to find the right pair of red shoes first and I worked on those for several days believe it or not.   This painting only has two colours in it which I have used . . . red and sepia.   I was playing at using different strengths of each one to see what happened and I was rather pleased with the result.  The words are my own . . .

The second thing I created was this . . .

  photo LoveNeverFailscopyright_zps19d939d2.jpg 

If there is one thing I love more than painting it is reading the scriptures . . . this combines my love of the two things.   I cannot take the credit . . . tis the inspiration of the word of God which created this little person.

I love the delicate rosebuds on her dress and the ribbon on her hair . . . she's wearing penny loafers, but I am not sure if you can see that much of the detail . . . I can though because I put it there I suppose!   Each little character I create is a living thing to me . . . complete with charm and personality.

Yesterdays silver lining . . . watching old episodes of Seinfeld with Todd in the evening and laughing our heads off at . . . well, nothing!   Because after all it is a show about nothing.   Marie likes that.   (haha, that was what was making us laugh.  It was the show where they make a friend name Jimmy who always talks about himself in the third person.  Jimmy this and Jimmy that.  It was so funny.  I drove Todd crazy the rest of the day talking about myself in the third person.   Even last night in bed as he went to tuck himself under the blankets I giggled and whispered to him . . . Marie loves you.)

A thought to carry with you through the day . . .

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
~Virginia Woolf

I love it!  And speaking of dining, this was our supper last night . . .

 photo SAM_5133_zps061e46ad.jpg 

Cooking in The English Kitchen today . . . Granny's Beef Enchiladas.   Yum!  Very, very good.

Have a great Wednesday everyone!  We are out to lunch today with some friends.  I am looking forward to it.  Happy Day!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!