Tuesday 24 April 2012

The Simple Woman's Day Book




FOR TODAY, April 24th, 2012...

Outside My Window...

It is wet, wet, wet . . . April showers and all that.  It's very cool as well.  Roll on summer!  (Not that I am wishing my life away or anything!)

I am thinking...
I had some really deep thoughts last night, and I remember thinking to myself.  I'm going to mention that tomorrow . . . but like yesterday, they have gone.  I should have written them down!


I am thankful for...

 I  called my daughter yesterday afternoon.  Eileen, the one who is getting married in July.  We had a lovely conversation.  I love that she has never judged me or found me wanting.  She has always just simply loved me.  She may not agree with my religious beliefs, but she believes in my right to have them and it is just simply something we never talk about.  She loves the Saviour with all of her heart and she knows I do too.  She learned how to pray and to love the Saviour and her Heavenly Father from my example.  I always kept a Godly home, and we always walked the Saviour's path.  I am thankful for that.

From the kitchen...
I think I need to bake, coz there's not a lot of shakin going on in there!  I'm slipping!  Nah . . . I'm just being good.


I am wearing...
A Blue nightie, my robe and my slippers.  I'll get dressed once Todd gets up.


I am creating...

 


I haven't done anything since I did this the other day.  I have some ideas though and I have some cards to do for an order.  My fingers are itching to get into my craft room and play. 


 

I have been thinking about sewing an Elephant toy for my granddaughter for Christmas.  I thought it would be something different.  I have a whole big plastic box full of different fabrics and I think it would be really cute!

I am going...
We were going to go in to town today, but if it is raining, I don't know if we will still go or not. I have some pearl earrings that I wanted to give to my daughter for a wedding gift and I was thinking I would like to look for a necklace or a bracelet to go with them.
 

I am reading...



Heaven Is Here, by Stephanie Nielson

I think you would pretty much have had to be living under a rock over these past four years not to have heard of the story of Stephanie Nielson, who blogs over on The NieNie Dialogues.  She was in a really bad accident  in 2008 when the light plane her husband and his flight instructor were flying crashed.  She was burned in over 80% of her body and her life changed completely.  She has been an inspiration to so very many people in the world since then, with her honest and poignant writings.  I am a fan and I could hardly wait to read her book.






It arrived in the post yesterday and I have not been able to put it down since I cracked it open.  It's beautifully written and I am really enjoying it.  I highly recommend it to anyone.  I think it is a runaway Best Seller!


 I am hoping...
I posted one of my favourite scriptures on my FB page last evening.  I often post favourite quotes etc. on there.  Not because I am trying to convert anyone or for any other reason other than the fact that I love to share the things I love with others.  I figure if they inspire me they might inspire someone else.  This is the scripture:





And whosoever  receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up. D&C 84: 88

 I have never had any negative comments before about anything I have posted on my FB page.  Yesterday was the first time.  There are those that would say this isn't scripture because it does not come from the Bible and is not cannonized.  I say that Scripture is all that inspires one to be a better person and to live a better life.  I make it a point to always respect other's belief's and religions, and I would hope that other's would respect mine.

I am hearing...
Nothing new really. Mitzie is snoring away on the sofa. The keys are tapping. The birds are singing. The odd car drives by. The clock is ticking. It's very quiet actually . . . a typical early morning.

Around the house...






I have always dreamed of having a swing on a front porch.  A place that I could sit on summer evenings and watch the world walk by.  A place to relax and feel all cosy and comforted.  Of course one has to actually have a front porch in order to have a front porch swing . . . but then again, one has to have a dream in order to have a dream come true . . . 


One of my favourite things . . .
Is watching old films and television shows.  This week we have watched Gone With The Wind, The Glen Miller Story and two of the Walton's films that they made.  (We finished watching all of the series and now are doing the movies.)  I don't know what it is about these old movies and shows . . .  but I never tire of them.  I can watch them over and over again.  There is no swearing, hardly any violence, if any at all . . . no gratuitous sex . . .  they're just sweeter.  In our lesson in Relief Society on Sunday we were talking about how much things have changed in the world over the past 20 or 30 years.  I am not sure if it has become a more dangerous place than it always was, or if it just seems so because nothing is kept sacred anymore and we read more about things that happen, not only locally but around the World and years ago we never used to hear about them.  There seems to be a general loss of traditional values . . . I guess I love to watch these old films and shows because they take me back to a gentler, sweeter time . . .

Something new about me ...
I am very squeamish when it comes to food.  I know . . . that doesn't seem possible, but there are certain things you could coat with chocolate and I still would never eat them, not knowingly at any rate.  Snake, frogs legs, snails, squid, insects of any kind . . . these all come to mind right away.  I also don't like fish that tastes really fishy or shellfish of any kind.  Yes, I only like boring mild flavoured fish.  I also don't think I would enjoy eating rodents or things like pigeon, kangaroo, ostrich or turtle, etc.  I am not fond of game at all, so I doubt very much that I could eat them either!  I do think I would starve first.  But then again . . . one never knows for sure do they?  I hope I never have to find out!!


One of my guilty pleasures ...
I
love marshmallows.  I love the way they feel in my mouth.  I love the way they taste.  I love that they don't have any fat in them.  I know they have lots of suger, but c'est la vie!  You can't have everything!

A few plans for the rest of the week...
I am going for a haircut tomorrow, then we are having our Relief Society Additonal Meeting for April on Thursday evening.  On Saturday I am going to Runcorn and Sheilagh, Trish and I are going to the big craft show at Aintree.  We went last year and had a blast!  I can't wait!  There is always sooooo much to see and do.   The best part is sharing it with two lovely ladies.  We are also going to pop into Ikea.  Can you believe I have never been to an Ikea????  I know!!  I am looking forward to that too!!


Here is picture thought I am sharing...








“The moment one gives close attention to anything, even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious, awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself."

~Henry Miller (1891 - 1980)

I find joy in everything around me . . . in the very minute, and in the very large.  I look at the world through eyes that find awe and wonder in everything . . . with eyes that never fail to see the magnificence of the Creator's handiwork, and a heart that cherishes it all completely.

As a closing thought I would like to leave you with this:

 

You cannot go through life on "borrowed light."
~Dieter F Uchtdorf 

We need to find out own light, and once we've found it, we need to care for it, strengthen it and keep it burning  . . . our testimonies of the truth are probably one of the most valuable things we will ever have and we must guard them very carefully.

And there you have it . . . my day book for this week. Don't forget to hop on over to the Simple Woman to check out the other day book entries! (Or better yet, do a simple day book entry yourself! It's not that hard and I am betting you would enjoy it!


 

Cooking in The English Kitchen today . . . some delicious Buffalo Turkey Burgers!  Oh these are fabulous if I don't say so myself!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!