Friday 1 October 2010

All that is good . . .



"When life gets hectic, we tend to neglect the little things that we enjoy most. How important it is to remember that simple pleasures refresh the spirit and nurture the soul."
~Unknown

I am a woman of simple tastes and desires and thankfully I am able to take great joy in the beauty and simplicity of small and simple things . . .



Things like being able to curl up with a blanket and Mitzie on a cold rainy day and just read a good book . . .

The smell of bacon frying in the skillet of a morning . . . and the smell of toast . . . toasting!




The sight of the sparrows peeking their little heads out through holes all along the hedge in the early morning, greeting the day.

Being able to reach out in the middle of the night and feel the warmth of my beloved laying next to me in bed . . .

The words of my Saviour and redeemer, which lay upon the pages of my favourite book . . . the scriptures . . . and the nourishment that they give to my soul.



How good my bed feels at the end of the day . . .

The happy greeting I get from Mitzie when I come into the room, after having been gone for only five minutes, and knowing I was missed.

The text tone on my mobile phone . . . I just know it's a friend saying hello, or Todd telling me he loves me.

The soundtrack to Little Woman . . . it warms the cockles of my heart.



The comfort of my favourite chair, and the way it hugs and gathers me in when I am weary and just want a place to lay my bones . . .

The smell of bread baking and apple crumble . . .

The sound of my mother's voice . . .

The leaves changing colours and falling from the trees in an aerial dance of colour . . . to silent music that speaks to my soul.

Just being able to hear the things I hear, and see the things I see, and to do it all with a thankful heart and the knowledge that as beautiful as everything can be here on the earth . . . there is a place even more beautiful that waits for me . . .



Knowing I am oh-so-very-much-loved, in an unchangeable, unconditional way, and forever and forever . . .

There are so many tiny things that bring me joy . . . and they don't cost a penny. They are free for the enjoying . . . the price of admission being only a grateful heart, and eyes to see . . .

Just my thoughts on this early Friday morning . . . tis good to pause and reflect on all that is good in life now and again . . . oh, I am a very lucky woman . . .

One of my favourite parts of any roast chicken or turkey dinner has got to be the stuffing! I just can't get enough of it. Here's my favourite recipe that I like to use. I can't remember where I got it, but I think it was a contest winner in Canadian Living magazine, eons ago! It's absolutely delicious! I keep some of this to hand and frozen in the freezer so that I can serve it whenever. It's also very good served with panfried pork chops!



*Bread and Potato Poultry Dressing*
Serves 12
Printable Recipe

This does make a lot but you can freeze it, unbaked, in smaller portions to take out and cook another time. It truly is delicious and goes really well with all kinds of poultry and pork chops as well! It might seem strange to put sugar and molasses in a chicken dressing, but trust me, the end result is wonderful!

6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
¼ cup butter
200g soft white bread crumbs
1 medium onion, minced
1 TBS granulated sugar
1 TBS soft light brown sugar
1 TBS molasses
1 TBS dried summer savoury (if you can’t get this
use a mixture of parsley and thyme)
1 tsp dried sage
1 tsp white vinegar
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper

Put the potatoes into a large saucepan of salted water and bring to the boil. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until tender. Drain well and return to the pot. Add the butter and mash well.

Stir in the chopped onion, bread crumbs and remaining ingredients, mixing in well with a wooden spoon.

Now you have two ways you can finish this, outlined as follows:

1). Pack into a greased 9 X 5 inch loaf pan and chill for several hours. When you are ready to serve this melt some butter in a skillet and slice the dressing into slices which you can then lightly brown on each side in the melted butter (about 5 minutes on each side).

2). Lightly butter a casserole dish and spread the dressing into it. Dot with butter, cover and bake in a 180*C/350*F oven for 30 to 45 minutes, uncovering the last 10 to 15 minutes.

It is equally delicious when done either way. You may also freeze this. I packed it into little shortening boxes that I have lined with baking parchment, folding and sealing the top over the stuffing, and then I wrap the whole box in some cling film and foil. When ready to use, just take out of the freezer and prepare as in either way. I slice and fry from frozen, and casserole from thawed.



Baking in The English Kitchen today, a delicious Glazed Apple, Carrot and Walnut loaf!

6 comments:

  1. Happy Friday Dear. We got home from the temple late so it is officially Fri now for me too. I have been in quite a bit of pain in my leg from my pinched nerve and from my bruised ribs. It seemed like a really long day at the temple even though we only went an hour early. I think it seemed long because I was hurting. I went to the doctor today and he said that my ribs should feel better in 3 weeks...meanwhile it hurts to breath and kills me to cough and I am somewhat of a grump I fear.

    However, I love your list of "good" things. I treasure the same type of things that you do. Life is good to us. I was reading one of your last posts and thinking of the rich lady you mentioned. It is sad that she had so much in the way of worldly things but reallly had nothing of any real worth like you and I do. Too bad that her wealth did not bring her joy.

    It rained really hard for while tonight while I was celestial room attendant. (too bad we didn't get a drop at our house) Some of the patrons got a little nervous because it was pounding on our large 3 story windows so hard...but I loved it. Then the whole room was filled with the smell of fresh rain. It was so nice. To me the aroma of fresh rain is the best perfume ever. It is one of the "good" things I love.
    Now I am going to fall into my bed with clean sheets that were dried on the line and smell sweet and clean. That is another "good" thing. Life is just full of them. Thank you for reminding me of some of them in this post. Have a wonderful day. Many hugs, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your ethos wholeheartedly Marie.
    For me the best things in life ARE free.
    Unconditional love from a pet is wonderful too.
    Have a great day my friend.
    Hugs
    Jeanie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your reflections on all that is good. Taking time to think about the treasures we possess makes us feel very rich indeed. I hope your Friday is a fantastic one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the little things that mean so much, don't they?! This post sings very much after my own tune, Marie! This is like a deep, delicious sigh of enjoyment, contentment. Love is especially the sweetest simple gift. :o) Hope all of you have a great weekend ahead there! If the sun stays around, we'll be cleaning up in the garden. Hoping to catch you for a chat Sunday... can but hope! ;o) LOVE YOU LOTS, dear friend ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi from RI, Marie. Yoy always write so beautifully but this post is exceptional. Your bed is so beautiful..love that! And your cozy chair too. God bless you for finidng joy in the things tht matter the most.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you always remind me to do what i need to be doing-thanks marie!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!