Saturday 13 June 2009

In Praise of Modesty . . .



Sometimes it's hard to be modest in an ever increasingly immodest world. We are bombarded daily with images and examples of things that are as far from being modest as you can get and it's become very clear to see that it's the big gestures in life that get all the attention. Things like glamour, fame and wealth. These seem to be the gods of this world, whether we like it or not. You will never see Mrs smith from Cherrytree Lane, Smalltown, UK on the international best dressed list though. It seems that only wealthy and well known women make that list, and I doubt sincerely if you will ever see my humble home grace the pages of any magazine, glossy or otherwise!

It seems today, that is it not enough to write quite simply a good novel in order to get one published, one has to write a best seller from their first movement out of the starting gate. If your book isn't a best seller right from the get go, then you don't really have very much hope of every getting a second one published. If you're an actress, you can't be considered a success until you have won an Academy Award, and how many Bronze medallists do you see signing multi million pound endorsement deals with advertisers???



Does the mere fact that you've never made it to the top of your field make you a failure? Does one only have to see our name in flashing bright lights and have legions of fans to be considered a success in life? Should we give up before we even try? The world would tell us that being a modest success just doesn't cut the mustard, and that modesty is mediocrity. I am here to put my hand up and say . . . the world has gotten it all wrong!! (no surprise there!)

If you were to look up the word modesty in the dictionary, you would see the following description:

1. The quality of being modest, freedom from vanity, boastfulness, etc.
2. Regard for decency of behaviour, speech, dress, etc.
3. Simplicity, moderation.



Nowhere amongst those words did I see the word failure. If anything, it bespeaks of qualities which I greatly admire! Gone is the image of a shy, apologetic, retiring and nerdy wall flower who sits on the side lines in her plain muslin dress waiting for someone to ask her to dance. Instead, I see a woman so sure of herself and who she is, that she has no need for glitz or glamour to cover up her insecurities. Her inner beauty speaks for itself. Her modesty, a virtue so full of her own strength of self confidence and her knowledge of her own worth, that she is not distracted by the glitz and glamour of wealth, for she knows where true wealth lies . . . and it is not in a jewellery box or a burgeoning closet full of designer clothing. It lies in knowing who you are and accepting who you are . . . not apologizing for who you are. It comes from knowing a Heavenly Father's love and realizing that His standards are the only standards that need to be met, and the only standards that really and truly count. Anything and everything else pales in comparison . . .



The word that strikes me most in that dictionary description is the word, "freedom." That is a soaring word, an enabling word. A word that bespeaks of an internal power to rise above the cares and woes of this world. Modesty is freedom from having to look a certain way, meet certain worldly standards of success, the race to keep up with the Joneses . . . There is great value in simplicity and a wonderful sense of peace as well . . . and yes . . . FREEDOM. Freedom, something that isn't reserved solely for the rich and famous, and in truth , I doubt they even know it exists. Modesty is the treasure of those who are wise enough to seek it. It is not fool's gold, which bewitches and deceives those who go after it, but a treasure that is solid and sure. Therein true beauty and wealth lie. I think I'll settle for that. A flower needs no embellishment. It is beautiful and worthy, in all it's modesty, just the way God made it.

So are you and I.

This cake has been a family favourite for many years. I got the recipe from my good friend Mable when my children were very small and I think she got it from a Kraft Foods recipe booklet. I have baked this many times through the years, and it was always warmly welcomed. I only very rarely make it these days as it is a rather large cake, but it also freezes very well, so that is no excuse not to make it. It's also great to take to pot luck suppers and picnics . . . hence the name!



*Peanut Butter Picnic Cake*
Makes one 13 X 9 inch cake
Printable Recipe

This is a delicious, moist and very simple cake to make. It's always a bit hit whenever I make it and wherever I take it! An easy carry along for a summer picnic or to take to a covered dish supper. Make note of my tasty variation at the bottom!

Cake:
1/2 cup butter
1 1/4 cups white sugar
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 cups plain flour
1 TBS baking powder (Yes that is 1 TBS)
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk
Frosting:
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups icing sugar, sifted
1/4 cup milk
Toasted and chopped walnuts to garnish (optional)

Pre-heat the oven to 180*C.350*F. Lightly grease and flour a 13 X 9 inch cake pan and set it aside.

Cream together the butter and sugar until light. Beat in the peanut butter, vanilla and eggs, beating them in well.

Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt and then add to the creamed mixture, alternately with the milk, mixing well after each addition, beginning and ending with flour.

Pour into the prepared pan and bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until it tests done and the top springs back when lightly touched or a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack to cool, leaving in the pan.

To make the frosting, cream the butter and peanut butter together with the vanilla until well mixed. Add the icing sugar alternately with the milk, beating the mixture until light and fluffy. You may add additional milk if needed in order to give you the right spreading consistency.

Spread the frosting over the completely cooled cake. Sprinkle the chopped walnuts over top if desired.

*Note* - Sometimes I make it a peanut butter and jam cake. It's a really delicious version. I take about half a cup of good strawberry jam and I dollop tablespoons full of it on top of the cake batter before I put it into the oven, swirling a knife gently through the dollops and cake batter to marble it. It is really good with this addition, but then again, I am a North American and peanut butter and jam is a North American Institution!!



14 comments:

  1. My husband loves peanut butter, so I am definitely making this cake for him on Father's Day!! Also, my son is serving a mission in Hungary, and they don't have peanut butter over there, so I just sent him a jar... Think I'll slip the recipe into his next card. Thank you for posting this delicious sounding recipe... can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mm this looks very yummy. I hope I get a chance to try it soon - I do have some peanut butter to use up before I move.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great entry and the cake sounds great too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marie
    What wonderful true words you wrote today. Modesty is such an undervalued virtue. Thanks for sharing those encouraging words. Hope you have a lovely weekend.
    ((hugs)) Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  5. That definition of modesty would have my name behind it too, Marie :o) I so agree with what you say here in regards modesty and this world we live in. I'll never be rich or famous, and that's very ok with me. I like me as I am right now. You always have a great way of helping us remind ourselves about the greater values to live by--love that. And LOVE this cake too--LOL! This is one of my very favorites of your recipes. I've made this one many times, and hubby requests it often. :o) Hubby works tomorrow and it will be busy here, so not sure I'll be around for a chat, but hopefully we can catch each other early next week. Hope you, dear Todd and sweet Jess are having a good weekend there. LOVE YOU, dear friend ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Modesty is almost a thing of the past. I was horrified recently in Pasadena, CA when I went with Bob's daughter to pick up his grand daughter from Pasadena High School. There were some girls with tight short shorts on that left hardly anything to the imigination. I asked his grad daughter about it and she said that those girls are in the minority but they all have bad reputations. And even she feels embarrased for them. The Bible certainly talks about modesty but unfortunately there continues to be so many people who are un-churched that they are not aware of that principal. I printed out the cake recipe, it sounds wonderful. Linda happy to be back home in Washington state

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are modest, but you're still a rock star in my book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Marie you often act as my 'blogging conscience'! 'Should we give up before we even try'? means a lot to me personally at the moment and I needed reminding that of course no we shouldn't! On a lighter note I will look forward to trying the cake delish ... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. AMEN!! Such a great post! And I am proud to say that I believe you are one of the most humble and that's why we love you so much! Why does the world say that more flashy, crazy, loud the better? As you said, it's all backwards!

    I remember years ago in high school it was next to impossible to find a prom dress that was modest enough for me to feel comfortable in- I may have been the only one wearing a formal with sleeves thanks to my mom's sewing skills- but FOR ME it was perfect!

    You are AWESOME!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your words about modesty are so true! Modesty seems to be losing ground as a virtue these days. I love checking your site each day to see what wonderful recipe that you have posted. One question though? When you post a recipe like the peanut butter cake with cups and TBSP (as opposed to metric measurements) does that mean that this is a USA recipe or do I still need to convert? I have been intimidated with trying a lot of your baked goods because I do not really know what I am doing with the conversions. Dot in Roanoke, Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marie if you were here my husband would probably give you a kiss for this recipe! He loves peanut butter and has a spoonful before he goes to bed every night. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great post Marie. You are such a wonderful writer. Your posts always remind me of the important things in life.

    I hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can not wait to try this cake...with your variation of marbled jam... yumyum

    I agree with all you wrote about modesty. I so admire modest people... like you. Here you are bursting with talents that you share with us but never boast or brag. Modesty is a wonderful quality...one that we should all try to incorporate into our lives.

    I have been really tired since I got home from my trips and not up to blogging much. However, I will try to post something tomorrow and get back into my routine. I hope you have a lovely Sunday. I am sending love as always. Lura

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just visited Jan's blog and I found that she took you with her in her heart on her girl's weekend away. That was really nice of her to take you along. Hop on over to her blog and look at all the fun things she took you to do.
    ...How come I didn't get to go along with you??? Doesn't she know that she can't take you without taking me too!!! lol
    (((hugs))) Lura

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!