Monday 6 September 2021

Small and Wonderful Things . . .

 

 

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard


A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.   


I've been feeling incredibly sad these last few days, and today really. Tomorrow is Todd's birthday. He will be 83. I am a mess of feelings. I expect that is to be expected.  I lived with him for over 20 years and we had a very happy life for most of that time.  I am not sad for me really. Well, maybe a little bit, that is only natural. I am sad for what his actions have cost to all those around him in his sphere of existence. I am sad at the waste of life. Its complicated to say the least.

I have decided that the only way out of my funk is to focus on the positive.  On the many, many blessings I have in my life, and so that is what I am trying to do. To dwell in negativity is to allow the selfish actions of another take away from my light, and to continue to victimize me. I refuse to let that happen. 


Roast Chicken Dinners with the family.  My sister was roasting a chicken yesterday and invited me over for supper. It was just nice to be together as a family. (Not her dinner there, mine, but used as an illustration.) My sister is such a good friend to me. She has been my best friend for 63 years.  Sometimes she has been my only friend.  She has always given me good advice, and has often been the voice of reason.  I love her very much. I Love my dad and Dan too,  and they are special to me.  But my sister.  She's the best. 

Not that I have favorites. 😁




These two fluff balls of activity and joy. I could sit and watch them at play for hours and hours.  They have two very distinct personalities and I can see them emerging.  Nutmeg is a bit of a big buffoon.  Bumbling, loveable, affectionate to the nth degree.  Cinnamon is a bit more reserved, but also affectionate in her own way.  But she is not afraid to put Nutmeg in his place.  The only growls I have heard have come from her and they have come when she is trying to protect what is hers, like a cat treat or a toy. And he backs off. So she is also assertive. They do make me happy. They do bring me joy. I was afraid to fall in love again, but  . . .  I have. 
 

How could I not fall in love.  Impossible. 
 

I can be proud of all that I have achieved in the 9 months since my arrival back in Canada.  I arrived pretty much broken.  I have had a lot of help, for which I am very grateful and I don't undervalue any of that help, but I have come a long way due to my own strength and tenacity as well.  And I don't just mean possession-wise. I have built a little niche for myself here.  A home. I have spent my whole life, since I was 12 years old, taking care of others and now I am finally taking care of myself. I can be proud of that. Its time for that.  And I hope that doesn't sound conceited or selfish. 


All the gardens are looking tired now. They are coming to their end. I love to walk around my sister's garden and I enjoy her little oasis. I would like to just dig mine all up and plant grass seed and just have potted plants. I can't dig though, nor do I have the tools. I can't get down on the ground to do gardening. If I got down there I would never get back up again.  My arthritis just won't let me cope with that. I can dream all I want about having a beautiful garden, but the reality is, its far beyond my scope!  I can enjoy other's though and I do.  


I enjoy feeding the birds and watching them. I don't have many at present. Just the hummingbirds and I have some goldfinches that come to the other feeders and downy woodpeckers, blue jays. I have always enjoyed feeding birds and watching them. It is one of my great pleasures in life.

I had thought the kittens would enjoy watching them too, but they don't seem to notice them. 


My faith. I know lots of people out there think that religion is a crutch and that there is no such thing as God. I don't know where I would be now without my faith, without God, without the Savior in my life. Bad things happen to all people. Life is a difficult road to traverse. There is no such thing as a charmed life. I have loads of inner strength for sure, but it is girded up by my faith in a higher power than myself.  I have been clearly able to see His hands at work in my life. He had carried me through my lowest moments and set my hind's feet in high places. 

The Lord God is my strength, and He will make my feed like hind's feet, and He will make me to walk upon my high places. ~Habakkuk 3:19 

All Glory to God who has been most merciful to me and helped me to experience my spiritual mountaintop. 


And for those moments when I need a little bit more . . .  there are always these. OH. MY. GOODNESS! 

'Nuff said. 

And with that I will leave you with a thought for today  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*.˛There isn't a person
you wouldn't love if
you could read their story.
~Marjorie P. Hinkley•。★★ 。* 。 



In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Twice Baked Squash Casserole.  I decided to give a winter squash the baked potato treatment and created an incredibly delicious casserole!  Wowsa! This was some good!

Have a wonderful day. I hope your week ahead is filled to overflowing with small and wonderful things.  Remember its the little things in life which count the most, and don't forget! 

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 


And I do too!  



18 comments:

  1. Marie, just think where you were a year ago. So much has changed for the better. You can wish Todd well without condoning what he did. It's time to love yourself and care for yourself. Enjoy the life you have built without guilt. Your little munchins are adorable. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have come a long way for sure Elaine. Love you! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  2. You're so much better off here.That's the posiyive.Cindy Cindy Cindy et al.You're doing so much more..surrounded by so much more.
    And financially you even seem far better off here.All good.
    Happy for you.Tragedy played out gracefully.Deservedly so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am better off financially for sure. I am also loving being near my family. Thanks Monique. xoxo

      Delete
  3. Stay strong, be positive, enjoy everything you have accomplished these past months, and most of all love those kitties and your close family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Linda. I have much to be happy about for sure. xoxo

      Delete
  4. You are right, it’s the little things that give us the most joy. Sometimes that’s hard when life throws you a curve, give yourself grace and peace to handle those times. Enjoy and have a happy new week! Blessings to you and yours. V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much V. Blessings to you also. xoxo

      Delete
  5. Yes it's always good to stay positive and count your blessings. It always make us feel much better when we look at wha we have and not what we don't have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it impossible not to have days of sadness and mourning...and we have to get to better places, but sometimes it is fitting to take more time to mourn. I am glad you have your own little place and perhaps at least the privacy to mourn as needed. But also so happy for you that your sister is closeby and others you love too...I cannot imagine having a sibling like that...I had no sisters for one thing!! What a blessing!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow wee. Yes, you've come a long way—and I don't mean in miles!
    Thanks for always sharing with us--we need you and each other. Let's continue on this journey together.
    As I tell my granddaughters:
    Hands are for holding!

    x-x-x-x-x
    nitey night
    Teri
    Oregon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Teri! Yes, hands are for holding. Nitey night. xoxo

      Delete
  8. Good for you staying so strong. love the cat names!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!