Wednesday 15 September 2021

Wednesday this and that . . .

 

One channel that I love to watch on my television is CHCH from Ontario which plays nothing but old television shows on it.  It recently started playing My Three Sons. I always loved that show when I was a child. Fred McMurray was one of my favorite actors. He just always seemed so nice.  Of course it didn't hurt that there were three handsome sons in the show either! 

I was watching an episode yesterday and in it Chip (the youngest son) had been coerced into going to a pre-teen dance where his father was going to be a chaperone and I was instantly taken back to my first boy/girl party in 1965.   

 


I was ten years old and the occasion was the birthday of a boy in  my Grade Five class named Maurice Rio. It was held in his parents garage which they had transformed for the evening. It didn't look or smell at all like a garage inside.  His older brothers acted as DJ's and played dance music throughout the whole party.  I remember feeling very sophisticated. I don't remember if I danced or not. Probably not, but I was there and that is what counted.

That was back in the days when little girls were encouraged to look feminine with full skirted dresses and crinolines, ankle socks, and sometimes even gloves  . . . 

I had a pair of gloves. They were reserved for church and Sunday school.  Did you go to Sunday school when you were a child?  I did. I used to get perfect attendance pins at the end of the year, every year.  My parents may not have attended church on a regular basis, but they made sure we went to Sunday school each week.  In my community this was pretty normal. All the children went to Sunday School.  Protestant or Catholic. 




It was pretty benign.  I don't think it really did any of us any harm. It helped to instill us with good values and to become good citizens of the world, reinforcing the values we were being taught at home. It was a kinder, much gentler time in so very many ways.

Before global warming and pandemics, and the sexual revolution. It is easy to look back on those days with rose colored glasses and see only the good.  Of course not everything was perfect, but it seemed to be so in my little world.  It was a time of great innocence. 


 

I was not what could have been considered to be a "pretty" child. I guess if I was "pretty" anything, I was "pretty" average. My sister was always the "pretty" one, but then, she looked like our mother and still does.  I was geeky and had a round face and head and looked like my dad. I still have a round face and head and look like my dad.

Every single one of my school photographs has something wrong with it. Hair sticking up where it shouldn't, etc.  Glare on my glasses.  Somber faced. Awkward.  That was me.  Awkward. 

I have always been a care giver of others.  I took care of my sister and brother and then a husband and children, etc.  I've been giving care since I was 12 years old. Now I finally get to give care to me, which is not entirely a bad thing. 




My dad came for lunch yesterday. It was very unexpected. He had an appointment in town for a haircut and so I said come for lunch afterwards.  It ended up he was a day late for his haircut, but never mind. It just meant I got to spend extra time with him. I made him a grilled cheese sandwich and he had some potato chips with it and a glass of milk. And he got to enjoy the kittens for a while. They are very entertaining. 

I also got to talk to my oldest son on the iPad messenger for a bit. I was concerned because of the Virus numbers rising in both PEI, and NB.   My oldest grandson is now being homeschooled again because someone in his school tested positive for the virus. Thankfully all but those who are under 12 in my family have been double vaccinated. I still think they are opening things up too soon.  But I have always been extra careful and erred on the side of caution in most things. It has been my experience that when I don't I get myself into trouble. 

My prayer every night for those whom I love is for God to keep them safe. I expect it is the same for all of us. 

And with that I best leave you with a thought for today  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
*.˛Life is like a roller coaster.
It has its ups and downs,
but its your choice whether
to scream or enjoy the ride.




In The English Kitchen today  . . . Chinese Orange Chicken for two.  This is a simple, delicious entrée that will have you smacking your lips in anticipation!

I hope you have a wonderful Wednesday. I am having my sister and Dan over for supper tonight. Dad's going for his weekly fish and chips. I think I am going to make my Deviled Chicken.  Whatever you get up to today, don't forget!

═══════════ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ═══════════ 
⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 


And I do too!  





 

5 comments:

  1. Fun to Google old friends:) Do:)
    I wonder if Caroline can get My three Sons:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I went to Sunday School. My mom and dad rarely went to church but they always made sure we got there. It' does give us a good start on our life. I'll always be thankful for that. I didn't stay in the church I was raised in but went on to find one just right for me. I think there is one out there for each of us. God doesn't want any of us to be left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love watching old tv shows, so many memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been watching re-runs of Family Ties at 4:30 each day on CHCH tv. Such a good show - still pretty relevant today. We went to Sunday school. I received a Bible for 100 Sundays attendance and a prayer book for 200 Sundays. I still have them. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy when you bring up memories from your childhood as we have so much in common. I was a child of the 50's with crinolines, saddle shoes and bobbie socks. ;-) Yes, I went to Sunday School and it was a big part of my formative years.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!