Saturday 4 September 2021

All Things Nice ...

 
 
 


Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness, 
 Close bosom-friend of the maturing sun; 
Conspiring with him how to load and bless 
 With fruit the vines that round the thatch-eves run; 
To bend with apples the moss'd cottage-trees, 
 And fill all fruit with ripeness to the core; 
 To swell the gourd, and plump the hazel shells 
 With a sweet kernel; to set budding more, 
And still more, later flowers for the bees,
 Until they think warm days will never cease, 
 For summer has o'er-brimm'd their clammy cells.
 
 Who hath not seen thee oft amid thy store? 
 Sometimes whoever seeks abroad may find 
Thee sitting careless on a granary floor, 
 Thy hair soft-lifted by the winnowing wind; 
Or on a half-reap'd furrow sound asleep, 
 Drows'd with the fume of poppies, while thy hook 
 Spares the next swath and all its twined flowers: 
And sometimes like a gleaner thou dost keep 
 Steady thy laden head across a brook; 
 Or by a cyder-press, with patient look, 
 Thou watchest the last oozings hours by hours.
 
 Where are the songs of spring? Ay, Where are they? 
 Think not of them, thou hast thy music too,— 
While barred clouds bloom the soft-dying day, 
 And touch the stubble-plains with rosy hue; 
Then in a wailful choir the small gnats mourn 
 Among the river sallows, borne aloft 
 Or sinking as the light wind lives or dies; 
And full-grown lambs loud bleat from hilly bourn; 
 Hedge-crickets sing; and now with treble soft 
 The red-breast whistles from a garden-croft; 
 And gathering swallows twitter in the skies. 
~John Keats 


As I was typing out the poem of Keats this morning I was thinking about how lucky I was to have been able to walk the lands that Keats walked and to see the countryside, environment which inspired his writings.  Wordsworth of course is one of the most famous Lake District poets.  I went to a museum in the Lake District that was devoted to the poets of the Lakes. It was fascinating. Keats, Wordsworth, Shelley, Ruskin . . . so many words have been inspired by the great beauty of that area. It was one of the favorite places I got to visit whilst living in the UK.  


 
I got a lovely package earlier this week from my friend Mary in Georgia.  Mary and I have known each other for quite a few years now. I did an art commission for her a number of years back, which I really enjoyed.  Sending me this package was so very thoughtful of her and I was terrifically surprised! The card itself was beautiful. I am not sure I am deserving of its beautiful words, but I am grateful for it.  I had been having a bit of a low day as well, so the timing of its arrival was perfect.  

Included were these beautiful crocheted cross bookmarks to share with my family. I am not sure if Mary did the crocheting herself or not.  I will have to ask her.


 
It was such a delightful package and so very thoughtfully put together.  Even my babies were not forgotten with two crinkle stuffed toys. It is quite comical to watch them pulling them around the living room as they are almost as big as they are.  A beautiful guest towel and bird light. So pretty. she knows I love bees and that puffcorn is addictive.  I really enjoyed it.  The picture is one that she took on one of her trips and had made into a picture. It made me think of Christ in the garden tomb.  And of course the indoor/outdoor thermometer will come in very handy.  Herbal tea, a pretty shopping bag, some lovely oatmeal soap and some very pretty fridge magnets. Of course the one with the bees on it is my favourite.

But the best part of all was being thought of and remembered in this special way. The love of a friend, that is the greatest gift of all. Thank you so much Mary. 💗 You made my week! 



Goldfinches, cardinals, downy woodpeckers, bluejays, etc. have all been visiting  my bird feeders.  I put the feeders up so that the kittens could enjoy watching the birds, but alas, they haven't noticed the birds at all. 

Neither have they noticed the big ugly squirrel that comes or the chipmunk. Funny that!

I took my hummingbird feeder down and did a real deep clean of it this week. After all of the humid weather we have been having I thought it could use one and did it ever! 



All of the individual flowers come off and apart for cleaning as does the whole bottom bit. I went at it good with some hot soapy water and a pipe cleaner so that everything was squeaky clean and mold free.  Then I popped it all back together and refilled it with some clean hummingbird juice that I make myself and hung it back up again.

The birds were most appreciative. I am not sure how much longer they will be here. I expect they will soon be departing for warmer climes, and then I will take the feeder down, clean it up and store it for the winter until next spring. 
 

These pretty little scamps have injected new life into my home. They sure keep me on my toes.  I need to call the Vet this week and get them in for their shots, etc. Every time I have called the Vet has been unavailable and nobody gets back to me, so I will keep trying and I might as well book in their neutering appointments as well while I am at it.  I figure early December will be about right.  They will both be five months old then.  I don't want to end up with a whole host of kittens/cats on my hands! 

It is nice to hear their happy little greetings each morning.  Nutmeg is the most vocal and loudest of the two.  Cinnamon can growl though. I have heard her growling at him a few times. He is like a bumbling baffoon, and she's not having any of it and puts him in his place.

Dad has come over a few times this week to see and play with them. They really like the fishing pole with the feathers on the end of it, and it is easy for dad to hold it and play with them using it.  
 
They really are a delight however and have wormed their way into my heart.  I love them to bits. Never a dull moment. 



I have always loved studying scriptures.  I got myself this Scripture Study Journal so that I can get into the scriptures even deeper. I love everything Emily Belle Freeman puts her hand to. She is a fabulous teacher.  I watch the Come Follow Me discussions every week on YouTube that she does with David Butler and The Inklings that she does on IG.  She shares so many wonderful insights.  I sure with I had the wherewithal to get what she does out of the scriptures.  I admire her so much.  

For years and years I have desired to have an even closer relationship with my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.  Even closer than the one that I had. If there is one thing which has come out of these past 9 or 10 months it has been that they have brought me closer to my HF and JC than ever.

I am really looking forward to General Conference in October.  I wonder if it will be the  same as the last two.  The conference center was not open to an audience for the last few General Conferences, three so far I think, so I am wondering if it will be this time or not.  Or is it still too risky. I know our Prophet is counselling us to still wear masks, etc.  So it probably will just be a private broadcast as well, instead of in the Conference center with an audience I am thinking. Its the safest way.

I saw in my newsfeed again this morning that the numbers have gone up again here in Nova Scotia. We cannot afford to let our guard down for even a moment I think.

Just keep on being careful people. What does it cost? I will still be wearing a  mask long after the mask mandate ends. I am erring on the side of caution for now, maybe for always. We will see.



I had such a full day yesterday.  I had facetime calls from both my friend Jo in the UK and Tina.  I had not spoken to Jo since probably June, not like that anyways. We spoke for an hour and a half. Jo was the housekeeper at the Manor for the first few years I worked there. We became good friends.  I love her to bits. She and her husband Colin were very good to me when everything was falling apart last autumn. She has been a great support to me.  As was Tina and her husband Tony.  

Its funny how the Lord puts the right people into your life and sphere of influence at the right time. Ofttimes years and years before you will need their help. He knows what we need and when we are going to need it. I am so grateful for a heart that is able to see His presence through the many kindnesses of others.

That is how He works.  He uses the humble and simple things of this life to manifest His presence to us.   He does not always appear in a burning bush. It is often in the small and simple voice that whispers to us . . .  I am here.  I know you. I know your needs. Stand back. Have faith and watch me do what I need to do for you.  His timing is perfect.  We are often brought right to the precipice and asked to jump.  He will and does catch us.  I know this to be true.

 

I love living near my sister.  She stopped by on her way home from work yesterday to show me a sketching pad/book, etc. that she was working on. It is an accordion type of thing, all created from one large sheet of watercolor paper.  I am in love with it.  I love her!  She brought me homemade oat cakes earlier this week as well. And then there was the painting afternoon.  Other than our growing up years I have only ever lived close to her a few times in life.  Several times in Ontario and both of those times required a bit of a car journey to be together, then she did come and stay in Alberta with me for a little while.  Being able to live so close to her now is a special blessing in my life.

We always said when we were growing up that one day we were going to be like the Baldwin sisters, and living if not with each other at least close to each other and we have done just that. I love her so very much.

And with that I will leave you with a thought to carry with you for today  . . . 

.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★
 *.˛.°The heat of autumn
is different from the heat of summer.
One ripens apples, 
the other turns them into cider.
•。★★ 。* 。•。★★ 。* 。 


In The English Kitchen today . . . Apple and Blackberry Shortcake. Deliciously differently simple. 

I am not sure if I will be able to get a post written tomorrow morning before I have to go to church. If so it will only be a short one. In the meantime, do have a wonderful weekend. Whatever you get up to, whatever you do, stay safe and don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 

And I do too! 


7 comments:

  1. The temperatures are cooling down here, orioles haven't been around for awhile, and the hummer seems to come less frequently. I've got one more fill up ready made, and will probably take the feeder down then. Lots to fill up your days, from family visits, to kitties, to visiting friends (virtual and in person) Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marie~

    I love, Keats, and how lucky you were to walk on the same soil! What a wonderful gift! Even a little gift for the kittens, how very thoughtful! Emily Belle Freeman has such a wonderful way of teaching and understanding the scriptures, I just love listening to her. I don't think they will be having Conference this year in the Conference Center, the numbers here are just growing by the day. I think the thing I miss the most is the music, it's just not the same when it's recorded, although still just beautiful! The kittens are really growing up! They are so adorable! Having your sister live close to you is such a blessing...sisters are awesome :0)

    Have a wonderful week-end, Marie...XOXO

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to hear from your dear friends in England. Never far away, always in your heart. And you and Cindy living so close to each other now is nothing short of a miracle after an ocean separating you for 20 years. Love and hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lovely you are near your kin and that is a cute thought, the Baldwin sisters!!
    Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha. The Baldwin sisters from The Waltons? Haven't thought of that show in a while. I loved their characters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful gift. I found the crochet cross pattern, might be doing that as card inserts this year. thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!