Thursday 23 November 2017

My favourite things . . .

A few of my favourite things that you might also enjoy.  Lets enjoy them together!


Feeding the Missionaries.  I can't tell you how many Missionaries we have had in our home through the years, and fed.  Its a lot, and we have always loved having them.  They are always very grateful no matter what you feed them.  They always come with a special spirit which they bring into your home and then leave with you when they go. They are just nice young men and women, doing what they want to do, which is to serve the Lord.  They put up with lots of negativity and abuse on a daily basis, and yet, they get up every morning ready and armed to do it again.  Just one smile or act of kindness makes all the negativity worth it.  If you ever have a chance to feed them, do it!  You won't be sorry, I guarantee! 


Gingerbread men.  I love the cookies.  I love the decorations.  I love everything about them!  One year I decorated our Christmas tree with only baked gingerbread men, red ribbons, and popcorn and cranberry garlands.  I decorated the gingerbread men with red cinnamon hearts and white icing.  They were really cute.  Our Christmas that year smelled lovely and was punctuated by the intermittant sound of softening gingerbread men falling off the tree as the threads pulled through the hanging holes.  I had not used the right kind of recipe for hanging gingerbreadmen, but never mind, they did look beautiful for a few days! The birds got to enjoy the garlands after Christmas.


Red and white haberdashery items.  Ribbons, lace, trimmings, etc.  I have quite a few and I can't bear to use them.  I just like looking at them. I know . . .  must use.

  

Anything with a cherry on top  . . . 


I love the United States of America.  As a child I loved visiting there.  As an adult I have loved visiting there and shopping there.   I have always wanted to live there.  If I could live anyplace I wanted to in the US and had the money to do so, I would be hard pressed to choose between Vermont and Martha's Vineyard.  I love both places although I have only ever been to Vermont, and never MV.  But I love looking at pictures of MV.  I sometimes play a daydream game with myself where I dream about buying a house in either place, furnishing it, etc.  It is one of my favourite daydream games to play. 

  

I love telling and writing stories.  I have a million of them in me, fighting to get out.  Putting pen to paper, finger to keyboard, is something which I have enjoyed for a very long time.  I can remember loving it as a child and it is a love that has never waned.  If anything it is a love which has gotten stronger.  I love words and stringing them together in a way that other people enjoy reading.  Even if most of what I write never gets read, it brings me great pleasure to just write it.  When I was at Uni my favourite class was English Lit and Creative Writing.  My Professor said I had a unique voice and style that could develop into something quite wonderful.  I don't know about that, but I do know that I love to write. 


I love pot holders, but I love vintage pot holders most of all.  I have a few and I am loathe to use them in case I ruin them.  I would probably ruin them. My pot holders always end up looking like they have been through the wars. 

  

Brooches.  I have quite a few and I wear them to church.  I never feel quite dressed without one. Enamel ones are nice but  . . . 


I am like a crow. 
I love the sparkly ones most of all.

  

Raggedy Anne and Andy.  I have loved them since I was a little girl.  I always wanted one of them.  My first proper boyfriend gave me one, one year for Christmas.  I had it for a very long time, but I don't know what happened to it.  I have made lots of them for other people, but I have never made one for myself.  I think I need to do that in 2018.  Make myself a Raggedy Ann doll.  I need to make one for Maryn also. 


Red and White Toadstools in any way shape or form.  My mom used to have some Christmas Ornaments that were red and white toadstools that she got in Germany when I was a child that I loved.  I have collected quite a few myself through the years.  I adore them. 

  

All things Alice  . . . 

(source)

Felt, anything made out of felt, working with felt.  I love it. You can get quite creative with felt. 


The fashions of the 1950's.  I love them.  If I was thinner I would wear them.  To heck with what anyone else thought. I would wear them and I would channel June Cleaver and Margaret Anderson and Donna Reid. 


Any film with Jimmy Stewart in it, or June Allison for that matter.  Or both of them. 

  

They are two of my all time favourites and together
they are unbeatable.

Photo by Randy Quinn

Birds.  I love watching them. I love feeding them.  I love watching nature shows about them.  I just love birds. I do not like to see a bird in a cage.  I know that most of the birds that you see in a cage have been raised in cages and don't know the difference, but I think it is a crime against nature to keep a bird in a cage.  They need to fly and soar. 

  

Old iron beds.  I love, love them. They are so stylish and old fasioned. I love anything old fashioned, which is probably why I love . . . 


Him.
He is my very favouritest thing of all. 
Even when he is being
grumpy.
He is my favourite grumpy old man.

And with that I will leave you with a thought for today . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.°And forget not that the
earth delights 
to feel your bare feet
and the winds long to
play with your hair.
~Kahlil Gabran  •。★★ 。* 。


  

BOOK OF MORMON CORNER - Today's Reading - 1 Nephi 22:11-31 
Question - What have you learnt from the reading today? What are some things you are looking forward to during the second coming and the millennium?  
 
What I learnt - What stands out to me in this chapter are the promises that are made to the righteous: v16 “he will not suffer that the wicked shall destroy the righteous”; v17 “ he will preserve the righteous … the righteous need not fear”; v19 “the righteous shall not perish”; v22 “the righteous need not fear, for they are those who shall not be confounded”; v24 “the righteous must be led up as calves of the stall”; v26 “because of the righteousness of his people, Satan has no power … for he hath no power over the heart of the people, for they dwell in righteousness, and the Holy One of Israel reigneth”. What promised blessings for the righteous!! 
 
I love how Nephi is again illustrating the tender mercies of the Lord to His people. I have come to know this principle in a deeply personal way, that the tender mercies of the Lord are all around us, if we can only notice them. What do I look forward to in the second coming and millennium? Peace. Comfort. Rest. To personally meet my Saviour and redeemer, to kneel at his feet and in some feeble way express my gratitude for all that he has done for me. That because of his atonement that not only can I be with Him again, but feel at home in his presence. I want, need and love to feel safe. I feel the safest when I look to the Lord, but it's difficult to always do this. To think that one day I will 'dwell safely' with the Saviour, without Satan's lies and temptations to distract me . . .  I am really looking forward to that. Also, seeing the loneliness and heartache of family and friends turn into absolute joy as they are reunited with their loved ones.  There are no words!!  What a happy & wonderful time it will be.
 Tomorrow's Reading (Day 35) - 2 Nephi 1:1-12 
Question - What have you learnt from the reading today? What do you notice about the way Lehi teaches his family? 
 

 
 
In The English Kitchen today  . . . a tutorial on how to put together a cheese tray/board for the holidays.  
 

Happy Thanksgiving to all of my American Family and friends!
May you be richly blessed!

Happy Thursday to each and every one of you.  Don't forget along the way of your day  . . . 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too! 

 




8 comments:

  1. Thank you for the Thanksgiving greeting in your post today ! I've so much to be thankful for today and from the looks of your favorite things, so do you ! We are blessed !

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many sweet things..I do love MV too..and have always loved the US friends I have made through the years.

    They have been kind and fun..some I have seen again and again through the yrs..we are getting older together.Some have met my Littles..we share so much..
    most are on the beach..where every income level lives in the same accomodation..dresses like a beach bum every day....there is no comparing there..even many of the cars are rentals..
    nice nice people.


    My friend Nancy gave me a felt broach:)
    I love it!

    Alice..red and white ribbons and lace ..I love when I take them out for Christmas ornaments..although this yrs required none and they are pitiful.:(C'est la vie..
    Have a great day Marie..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving Marie!

    I never saw pot holders like that before! I thought they were crochet doll clothes. Lol.

    I wish you did live closer, but you do live in a beautiful country!

    Where in Vt did you visit? When I was younger my aunt and her new husband use to bring me and Nana to her house in Vt. Even though I use to get car sick alot. Lol.

    I was always over my Nana's and other aunts on the weekends. I helped out making beds, dusting, etc.and my aunt Mary was a great cook and baker. Actually so weren't my other aunts.

    I miss them, they are up in heaven now. My Mom is the only one left and I feel very fortunate to have her! Also my Dad!

    I got a brooch from my Nana that I just look at. It is cheap looking but very special to me.

    I think you should also write a story. You are just so talented Marie!

    I can cook and bake, but I'm not very good at explaining things. Or I go way to much into detail, but nobody's perfect! Lol.

    Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I truly hope you have had a wonderful day Pam! Be blessed! xoxo

    Oh Monique, I would so love to even visit MV! I have always felt a special connection to the place. Well, I love New England in general. I have lots of family there! I am sure people will love whatever you have created. Truly! xoxo

    Thanks Jan! They would make cute doll clothes for sure, lol. You are right nobody's perfect! But how boring would the world be if we were! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just curious! Where in Vt did you visit?
    Some day I want to go to King Arthur Flour store in Vt.
    Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would be the Rutland area Jan! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you were 1 hr 19 mins away from where I live! Small world! Xo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!