Tuesday 16 February 2010

A place for everything . . . and everything in it's place!



I put it in a safe place, of that I'm very sure,
I knew it was important to keep it quite secure,
So why, now that I'm searching in every
little nook,
Do I know I'll never find it until the last place
that I look??
~author unknown


I found this little poem and oh boy . . . could I ever relate to it. I am forever putting things away in a "safe place," only to find out later on that the place I put it was a little too safe, as I can no longer find it. Does this happen to you? I think it must happen to everyone.



I am not the most organized person around at the best of times. I tell myself when I put things in their saving places that I will be sure to remember at a later date that I put them wherever it is that I put them . . . but then of course . . . when the time comes to find them, of course . . . I can't remember!!!



I guess the answer to that is to put them in a regular place??? I don't know! What do you do??? Do you have typical places to put things? How do you keep yourself organized?

The other day I could not find my cookie cutters anywhere. I looked high and low for them. I finally gave up, only to discover them in a drawer in the laundry room several days later. It was only then that I remembered having put them in there!!!



Sometimes I scare myself, as I think . . . I must be getting alzheimers or some such!! Perhaps I should start labeling drawers and cupboards as to the contents, or maybe I need to be a bit better organized as obviously my organization system is just not working!

I really admire people that can make a place for everything and then keep everything in it's place. I have always been a bit scatty that way, and yet . . . having said that, I must have 200 cookbooks and I can call Todd from work and ask him to bring one over to me, and via the telephone I can direct him to exactly where that particular book is in my bookcases.

I have heard of selective hearing . . . but do you think there is such a thing as selective organization???



haha, I don't know! I did a cute little sketch last night, inspired by a quote that I saw yesterday. I can't wait to put my hands to work painting it later today. I just love losing myself in my paints and brushes.

I wanted to share with you the lovely potato dish that I did at the weekend when we had the missionaries over. It is called Twice Baked Mash and is delicious. You can use all half fat or no fat ingredients and your family will never know the difference!!






*Twice Baked Mash*
Serves 6
Printable Recipe

A cross between twice baked potatoes and really rich mashed potatoes, this casserole is a real family pleaser. Of course you can use reduced fat dairy ingredients to cut down on the fat and calories. They'll never know!

6 medium sized potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
4 ounces of cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup finely chopped spring onions
(Can use chives)
4 slices of streaky bacon, cooked until crisp and then crumbled
1/2 tsp seasoned pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup shredded strong cheddar cheese
to garnish:
chopped spring onion or chives



Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F. Butter a 2 quart baking dish. Set aside.

Place the potatoes into a pot of lightly salted water. Bring to the boil, then simmer, partially covered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender and cooked through. Drain well and then return to the pot and mash well with a potato masher until smooth. Stir in the cream cheese, sour cream, spring onions, bacon bits, seasoned pepper and salt, mixing all in until well combined. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. Spoon this mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese evenly over top.

Bake in the heated oven for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, sprinkle the additional onions or chives on top and serve.



Over on The English Kitchen today, delicious Jam Tartlettes.

Happy Pancake Day everyone!!

15 comments:

  1. Marie I am the messiest person and I do try hard but things go "wonky" all the time. Right now my father is hunting for his torches. All the while he is muttering darkly and a few other things but the poor man has Alzheimer's. He blames us for many things. Oh the places we find stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My problem is my husband...I know where I put things and where they should go..then he comes along and empties the dishwasher and hides everything..real good! Love the dish and the desert! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not terribly organised either Marie, forever loosing things !!I think though you have somthing there with selective remembering !!!
    Love the potato dish, I just love potato in any shape or form...
    Hope all is going ok at work...
    love sybil x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I do have a typical place for everything Marie.I have always been an organised person.I cannot cope without being organised.If I do ever use anything though and don't put it straight back where it belongs,like you I can tend to forget where I have put it temp.I call these my senior moments LOL!!Enjoy your new artwork, when the time is right,looking forwad to seeing it.Have a great day.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am the worldest most messy disorganised person, how I would love to be clutter free! We lose things on a daily basis.
    Have a good day xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do the same thing Marie. I used to be so organized, and I've tried here in my new house. But I can only remember where I used to put things in my OLD house! Yup, today I have to search for my gymn sneakers 'cause I've no idea where I put them in November.

    It's so frustrating, isn't it. Once we reach 50, it should be mandatory to have personal assistants (and not the electronic ones)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, dear Marie! "...selective organization..." That is a good one! I think that's how my hubby operates. He never puts thing back in the same place twice--LOL1 I'm or the organizer between us...someone has to be! ;o) I admit to being a neat freak, and I thrive on organization and routine. When things fall to the wayside I lose my equilibrium. This goes for most things in life too! Not to say I don't have my moments of "losing" something... then I call it "old timers" ;o) Can't wait to see your painting soon... And this potato dish today is wonderful. Must pop over and see about those jammy tarts...mmm... Hope to catch you for a chat today--can but hope! LOVE YOU HEAPS, dear friend ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have so many safe places in my house...they are so safe that no one including me will ever find them. The hours I spend in the research department are increasing every day. It would be wonderful to get it all sorted out. The one place that I do know where everything is...is my kitchen. A few years back two of my sons and their wives but in some new cupboards in my kitchen and they also organized my things in them...I've been good and kept things where they should be so I love my kitchen. The rest of the house is a disaster though. Have a terrific Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I lost my cookie cutters the other day, too. It took me forever to find them in a random drawer. I only remembered putting them there AFTER I found them. Oh my, I consider it the curse if the creative mind. That or I just have too much clutter in my life. I'm going with the first. :) Have a great day Marie!
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like to think of myself as organized but I'm not as much as I'd like to be. I go for a period putting things away in their place . . . and then I get sloppy -- that's when I lose things. But then when I clean cabinets, cupboards and drawers I find them. And then I'm good about putting away . . . at least for a while.

    Love the mash!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Marie
    You made me laugh when you said you found your utensil in the laundry room! I've done that before, had something in my hand, put it down and then couldn't find it!
    I hope you're having a great day.
    Hugs, Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do have places for everything, but even so, I still "lose" things more often than I'd like.
    I once "lost" a treasured photo album and had just about given up hope of ever finding it, when a year later I did find it--exactly where it was supposed to be, and the only place I hadn't searched the dozen or so times I went over my whole apartment with a fine toothed comb.
    It was in a box with all my little albums, but I had forgotten it was a little album, and was only searching in places where I thought it would fit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Marie,

    I have heard that you do not have beginning Alsheimer's if when you find the lost item you do recall putting it there. So you are safe! Jim and I laugh that we spend most of our time trying to find his stuff. it is almost comical sometimes. AKA annoying! But that is life and I loss things now and then myself. His usually turn up, mine rarely do. Double annoying!

    I snagged that great recipe right away that sounded so good and looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are AMAZING for your organization skills but I strongly believe we remember with precision only the things we prize and dote on the most. Your prize collection of cookbooks are thought of quite often and you probably think about what recipes you want to bake/cook in the near future or just admire your collection. I know because I can do the same thing. I would like to reiterate that you are AMAZING with your organization . . .Martha Stewart should come over and take notes! =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh PREPARE TO ADMIRE GIRL, PREPARE TO ADMIRE!! Now don't misunderstand me here, my drawers and cupboards are the messiest, untidiest places you ever saw, oh yes, but I do, in fact, have a place for everytrhing and I like everything to be in its place. So maybe you have to shut the door quick before it falls out again but it does have its own place. I can't stand it if, say, Mimuvver comes and puts a knife back on the wrong rack or if I find the potato peeler in the cutlery drawer. Finding a posh glass in among the everyday ones annoys me no end.

    If there is something I think to put somewhere for a reason I have a foolproof systrem: I tell Keith, so he has to remember where it is too. Then I can blame him when it's nowhere to be found.

    So where is the spare battaery for the camera? Where is it? I've looked everywhere - even the last place I thought of!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!