Friday 24 July 2009

Treasuring memories . . .



We, each one of us, have our own ways of treasuring the memories of happy times in our lives. Sometimes, it is the simplest of things that help to remind us . . . an old and much loved melody, a fading photograph of a special friend or loved one, a face glimpsed in a crowded room, a well loved childhood toy, a smell that wafts it's way past our nose . . .

Early in the 1900's the writer H. Mortimer Batten told of the beautiful way in which the North American Indian would bring fond recollections to his mind . . .

"When he is superlatively happy, when he is living through a moment which he wishes to be able to recall for all time, he takes a sweet smelling root, or a herb . . . crushes it in his hands, and inhales it's scent, till it is indelibly stamped upon his memory as part of that phase in his life. Thus, in the wallet of an Indian you will find all manner of oddments, a dried flower or a root with a strange aroma, and in moments of sadness or idleness, he is able, with their aid, to recall the happiest incidents of his life."



What a fine example of the wisdom of a race of people that we were once foolish enough to have regarded as savages!

I have the odd petal or two pressed between the pages of my scriptures, and it is true . . . whenever I chance upon them, my mind and memories take me back to days long gone and I am a girl again, with the blush of young innocence on my cheeks . . . the memories of youthful flirtations tickling my heart.

ahh . . . sweet memory . . .



I had some chicken breasts yesterday that I needed to use. I had been going to roast them in the oven, but with my oven not working and something else cooking in the convection oven, I had to think quick and do something else with them. I think you'll agree that I came up with something quite, quite delicious. There were no complaints from this end at any rate!!




*Crispy Chicken Breasts*

Serves 4
Printable Recipe

This chicken is quick and easy and full of lovely flavours. All that is needed to accompany it is some potatoes and a mixed salad.

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup plain flour
4 tsp sweet paprika
2 tsp ground cumin
1 TBS chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
garlic powder to taste
2 medium egg whites, beaten lightly
olive oil for frying
Lemon wedges to serve



Trim any fat off of your chicken breasts and slice each one in half horizontally. Mix the flour, paprika, cumin, thyme, salt, pepper and garlic powder (if using) together on a large plate. Whisk the egg whites together in a shallow pie dish. Dip the chicken breasts into the flour mixture, into the egg whites, and then back into the flour mixture to coat them well. Repeat until all the chicken has been coated.

Heat olive oil to the depth of 1/4 inch in a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Add the chicken pieces in a single layer, being careful not to crowd the pan. You may need to do this in batches, adding more oil as needed. Cook for three minutes, then flip over and cook for two minutes or so on the second side, until the chicken is golden and crispy and cooked through. Keep warm until all the chicken has been cooked.

Serve with lemon wedges for squeezing over top.



To see what I served with this delicious chicken, take a peek at The English Kitchen. This was very, very, very . . . good.


9 comments:

  1. Good morning Marie,loved this memory post.When my Son went to live in USA he bought me a bouqet of flowers before leaving.From the bouqet I slavaged the lavender and dried it out.I then crumbled it up into a tiny small envelope believe itor not only about one and a half inch square and I keep it in the zipper compartment of my Handbag.As my handbags are worn out I replace the lavender into the new one.I always feel as though he is with me on doing this.It has been there nine yrs now.Smells and music bring memories to me the most.The chicken looks realy tempting.Have a lovely weekend.I am going over to the flat Saturday Morning,so I thought I would let you know I cannot comment until Monday.Your blog will simply not open for me until the snowy background starts to fall and it seems to take for ever to upload it.Has anyone else mentioned they have problems ? Take Care God Bless Kath xx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to press flowers from special occasions. I know somewhere is still a part of the very first corsage I received. I haven't done that in ages and should. I like the idea of a scent to remember things by. Rosemary is for Rememberance so I shall press some of that for sure.
    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This memories post is sooo lovely, Marie...Nice way to cap off the week here. I always loved pressed flowers and leaves...and still tuck some between pages of books to keep for later. I used to have the corsage from my first prom--but it became a mess when I moved, so had to get rid of as it went nearly to dust! Thank goodness for brain memories too. My hubby would love this recipe today--he loves chicken. Happy weekend, dear friend! LOVE YOU ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Marie,
    What a wonderful post. Your chicken sounds delicious and your corn heavenly! I am waiting anxiously for my corn to be ready to pick in my little garden. I can't wait! Have a wonderful weekend!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie, your writings is absolutely wonderful ... love the 'memories'.

    Going to have to buy some chicken ... this looks delicious.

    Have a beautiful weekend. TTFN ~Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  6. We don't do this much any more, do we? We used ti have a big family bible at home as kids and sadly the only time it ever got opened was to press flowers, Isn't that sad?

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. On a recent visit to Walmart I was looking at the Barbies and noticed they have reproduced the black carrying case...I opened it and took a deep sniff...yep...it took me right back to my childhood days of happiness in playing with Barbie dolls!

    Wonderful post...and your chicken and corn look so good I could reach through the screen!☺

    ReplyDelete
  8. With me it's smells but also other things. A bird perching on my windowsill will forever make me smile thinking of how my mother loved the birds. A field of cotton or soybeans or some other southern crop reminds of hot summer days when Daddy would drive us all around in the country to see how things were growing. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH, love how you have pressed flowers in your scriptures.
    Yum....the chicken looked so good.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!