Tuesday 17 June 2008

It's All About Tuesdays . . .



Welcome to the June 17th Edition of Tuesdays With Dorie , the once a week baking club that gets together and bakes the same recipe each week from the lovely baking book Baking, from my home to yours, by the phenomenal baker and cookery book writer, Ms Dorie Greenspan! I was really excited when I read that this weeks recipe would be Peppermint Cream Puff Ring on pages 290-292 as chosen by Caroline of A Consuming Passion .

Ahhhhh . . . cream puffs . . . my mind clouded with visions of horror. Cream puffs are my nemesis. I have never been able to successfully make a cream puff. They say that on the precipice of death one's whole life flashes before their eyes . . . I can attest that on the precipice of making these, every horrible cream puff disaster of my past flashed before my eyes, beginning with the first one . . .

I was fourteen, and I wanted to make something spectacularly splendiferously delicious for my family. I wanted these to be so much better than the creamed vegetables that I had tried that ended up looking like, and what's worse tasting like, a gluey mass of varied colours. I measured out all the ingredients accurately and followed the directions precisely and ended up with . . . big flat blobs of eggy blah . . .

It has been ever so with me and cream puffs . . .

I had really high hopes for this one though . . . after all people, it was a Dorie Greenspan recipe!! I had never really had one of her recipes fail for me yet! I was bound to be successful finally!

I decided to do it on Saturday afternoon when I had lots of time and nothing else pressing me and I had visions of this being a lovely dessert for Todd and our Father's Day celebrations. He is not a chocolate lover so I had already decided before hand that I would fill it with the mint cream and strawberries and maybe a drizzle of white chocolate on top instead of dark. I read through the recipe several times just to make sure I followed the directions properly. (Any time I have ever had a failure with a recipe it's been because I haven't followed it properly. I have a tendency at times to get ahead of myself and then think . . . Oh Dear! I shoulda done this or I shoulda done that!) Not THIS time . . . I was not going to let anything get in the way of me finally achieving cream puff masterdom! This would be perfect.



I measured everything out and had it all ready to go . . . brought the milk and water (not to mention sugar and pinch of salt) to a boil on top of the stove and added my flour en masse! Ta Da!!! A perfect floury blob!!! Just what I was supposed to have! I even had a light coating of flour stuff on the bottom of the pot.

I was a bit confused about the eggs. Normally when you beat cold eggs into hot things you end up with a hot thing full of bits of scrambled egg. Dorie's recipe didn't specify waiting for the floury mass to cool down before adding the eggs. What to do . . . what to do. I re-read it a few times to see if I just wasn't missing something, but I wasn't. It didn't say exactly and so I flew by the seat of my pants and beat each egg in anyways, while the flour mixture was still hot.



Whew! I ended up with something which looked precisely like what it said in Dorie's book that it should look like . . . a glossy thick batter, of piping consistency. Not a piece of scrambled egg in sight anywhere to be found!



I got out my piping bag and with trembling fingers and heart I managed to pipe what I was supposed to pipe out on my parchment paper lined baking sheet, upon which I had dutifully drawn an 8 inch circle before hand. I had a bit of extra dough leftover so I piped out some small puffs as well.

Into the oven it went. I baked it for the first baking time at the higher temperature and when my timer went off I lowered the temperature and baked it for the remaining time period. I peeked and it looked like it was browning faster on one side than the other so I very carefully turned it around . . .



Perhaps this was my first mistake, I'll never know . . .

But what I ended up with was a deflated eggy ring that was not fit for human consumption . . .



Woe is me . . . woe is me. It looked lovely and brown, but it was decidedly flat and not only that . . . the darn thing was stuck to the parchment paper and I could barely get it off at all. I was so dissappointed . . . cream puff pastry, Choux paste had defeated me yet again . . .

But had it??? The smaller puffs, whilst still sticking to the parchment stayed a lot flufflier looking. True, when I peeled them off of the paper, half of their insides stayed on the paper, but I found that if I sandwiched two of them together with some sliced berries and a good dollop of creme fraiche I still had something slightly edible . . . a light dusting of icing sugar hiding all evils and making it look somewhat appealing.



So there you have it . . . my first Tuesdays With Dorie failure . . . for all the world to see. Can you feel my pain?

Next week the recipe is Mixed Berry Cobbler on pages 416-417, as chosen by Beth of Our Sweet Life. OH, that does sound delicious. It's hard to mess up a cobbler . . . isn't it?

In the meantime hop on over to the blog roll and see all the other creations, and I believe that if you click on Beth's page you can get the actual recipe. I do recommend that y'all just buy the book however. You can get a copy of it for as little as $8.32. The recipes are really good and then you can join the baking group too, and go on this Baking Adventure with the rest of us! Aside from this one recipe, all of them have worked out beautifully for me, and I am on a search now to figure out why this one didn't turn out . . . I am sure I must have done something wrong . . . choux paste . . . grrrrrr . . . ever arte thou my nemesis . . .



The birds did enjoy it though . . . .

42 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that your ring didn't turn out. It sounds like a lot of people had trouble with it. I just went with individual puffs, since I didn't have enough people around to eat a big dessert. I'm going to have to try the ring at some point, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can feel your pain (carrot cake disaster...) I'm so sorry about that. I'm glad you still got a small sampling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW...I LOVE the quotes on your sidebar. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These things are sent to try us Marie! Tablet is my nemesis, I love it, but just can't get it right no matter how hard I try. I suppose on the bright side it means I have to buy it in smaller bars so there is less temptation in the house ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear that it didn't work well for you.

    Ulrike from Küchenlatein

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Marie, I DO feel your pain...it's hard when something you try hard at doesn't work out. But at least the birds had a great treat to eat! ;o) We can't win them all, all the time...But I know you will pick up the spoon, the whisk, the pot and try on something new! I never had any luck with cream puffs either. I don't bother with them anymore--LOL! LOVE YOU HEAPS, my friend ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looked good to me. If I had even attempted that I would have probaly smeared it all over the counters, dropped it on the Babies' heads and sent the into a licking frenzy and spent the next few hours peeling the dough of my counters and floors.

    So I'm still impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My ring didn't turn out either. But your cream puffs look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So what you're saying is that maybe I should be glad I sat this one out? :)

    I love how you turn "disaster" into delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a tricky little dough, right? So particular! But I think even your flub looks great!
    Lucky birds you have!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh-It's so frustrating when something doesn't turn out! It sounds like the ring had more trouble then the smaller portions. I'm glad you were honest because the pictures look like it turned out fine. You could have kept your mishap a secret.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would not call that a failure by any stretch of the imagination!
    Looks wonderful to me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Talk about perseverance! I feel your pain, and kudos on putting it out there for the world to see. Icing sugar does hide all evils, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry about your ring-I tried rings a few times and they never seem to work for me either! Though, I haven't made cream puffs for a while and I know Andrew would go gonzo for some. That will be on my dessert menu soon. Thanks for the reminder! We always made cream puffs when I was younger for school or family gathering treats...but always drizzle some melted chocolate on top-YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Mare, please dont be sorrow. I dont know why sometimes when we want to make something the best, happens these things.
    You are a wonderful cook with tasty and nice recipes, what is this , nothing. dear.
    You are so brave to tell all you live with this.
    Turn up the page. And kisses to you, xxxGloria

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would not consider that a failure, those puffs look beautiful with the cream and the berries, yum! I would eat one right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. My ring looked a lot like yours coming out of the oven (and one side did rise and brown faster than the other also). I read some of the posts on problems and I stuck it back in the oven having first pierced the sides with a sharp knife to dry it out a bit more and that seemed to help. All in all, it did not rise as much as I have seen the others rise, but it was dry inside and tasted fine. I need to have another go around at it, however. Your cream puffs look really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I remember making these with my mother. How you had to beat beat beat each egg in. This was before fancy mixers so it was all by hand. Boy, did my arms hurt!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The little puffs look delicious even if the big puff didn't turn out the way you wanted it to.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mine fell too. I ended up using my mini tarts as shells instead of being able to cut them in two. Your mini puff looks great! Sorry it didn't turn out quite as you had hoped.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My ring didn't turn out either so I feel your pain but Im happy to see your puffs. Love the strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Marie, I just love you. I personally have never had any trouble with cream puffs, but many other things I have flopped absymally with. Your puffs look fantastic. I usually let my choux cool for about 5 minutes before beating in the eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  23. awww i'm so sorry! your pictures still look pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those puffs look beautiful though!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your choux paste looked perfect, I have no idea why it didn't work out well for you. I made small pastries, which turned out fine. I have a feeling if I had made a large ring mine would have collapsed as well.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I used to have my cooking classes make cream puffs.Of course I would always make a batch first to show them how. Some times my sample batch would turn out beautiful and fluffy and other times flat. I always made them exactly the same way and could never figure out why they went flat at times. So...don't worry about it... I think that cream puffs are just tempermental characters who get a bit defiant at times.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Whenever I do things with choux paste I don't bother with the parchment paper, I just lightly grease and flour the baking sheet. It works for me anyway!
    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Even though it didn't turn out, it still looks gorgeous in the photo! Mine deflated too...I'm glad I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  29. ummm that looks good to me!!!! i'll take one please. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. the ring didn't turn out the puffs look great! esp w/the strawberries. i just got off the phone w/my mom about the dough - she said to check for peaks when you make the dough. she said that if the peaks are super firm and the tips of the peaks stay up, then you're good. but if the tip of the peak falls/curls over, you've added too much egg. you want enough egg so it will be moist and not too dry but too much egg and it doesn't turn out. maybe that will help you? i ended up adding about 3.5 eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  31. we all have something that just hangs over our heads that we wish we could master but some how it always eludes us, yours is cream puffs mine is pancakes, don't get me started!! lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. The puffs sure looked good to me! Anything sweet~I'll eat. I'm glad there are folk like you that have the patience to bake or else this world would not have bakeries!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm sorry girl! I'm with AnneMarie on the carrot cake disaster- happens to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  34. My ring did the same, but the puffs were fine. So glad I wasn't alone. On to the cobbler! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sorry it didn't come out well. Sure looks great though!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your cream puffs look delicious, especially with strawberries!
    Shari@Whisk: a food blog

    ReplyDelete
  37. The puffs look great! I will have to be careful when I make this one!(I did the sticky buns this week)

    ReplyDelete
  38. aawww sorry your ring didn't come out. The pictures look fabulous though! I never would have known. Love the puffs! Great job!
    Clara @ I♥food4thought

    ReplyDelete
  39. I had trouble with this one too, will try it again another day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  40. There always that one dish that challenges our skills and patience, but I'd wouldn't call this failure when I see your last picture! I'm sure your future pâte à choux endeavors will be more then successful!

    ReplyDelete
  41. You faced your long-standing fear of all things choux paste... and emerged with something delightfully edible in the end. That doesn't sound anything like a failure to me...

    ReplyDelete
  42. I have never made cream puffs or eclairs because it looked to hard. :)

    XX

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!